NEAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to Henson today for the practice match Swans v Sydney Uni.

The deck was a bit slippery after recent rain but it was a strongly fought out match between two likely looking 2019 contenders - not sure who won but there wasn't much in it.
Swans fielded 12 listed players - James Rose went well as you would expect, Hayden McLean looks a likely (he only joined the club mid-week to replace Maibaum who is on the long term injury list), and I liked the look of Ryley Stoddart.
The Students have lost some big names over the summer and today's was a new look team. But they look keen and fit - Lewis Stevenson, Lucy, Hiscox played well and some recruits looked good too - Jake Veale from Sydney Uni footy and Sturt caught my eye, as did Bailey Stewart from Sydney footy and the Swans junior programme .
One to watch this season (again) is Tristan Davies up forward who is a solid lead and strong mark - oppositions are going to have to dedicate their best defender to keep him quiet.

It's hard to know which other clubs are going strong of course, but we always respect Aspley - who can comment on their pre season form ?

Justa,

Great report from Saturday, it sounds like the Sydney teams are up and firing, I hope it is still that way for both at the pointy end of the season!

While I as an Aspley supporter appreciate your kind words of respect for the Hornets who are ticking over just nicely at the moment, I think the passage of time has woken last years premiers up from their slumber and these guys deserve a touch more of a rating to coincide with their silverware of last season, they (the Sharks) have been the quite achievers this pre season and as we in Queensland all know from past experiences, once the Sharks are up and about and they get on a roll they are very hard to contain - With Canberra in the mix again this year after a break out season last year, along with the NT Thunder who are always hard to beat every season and the Redlands Bombers with their change of guard and influx of some Southern handy players along with some good young guys returning, it looks like it will be a closer, more even season, competition wise all round this year in the NEAFL - Lets hope for footy in our Northern states and Territories sake, it is played this way right through the season up and to the grand final.

Justa,

Great report from Saturday, it sounds like the Sydney teams are up and firing, I hope it is still that way for both at the pointy end of the season!

While I as an Aspley supporter appreciate your kind words of respect for the Hornets who are ticking over just nicely at the moment, I think the passage of time has woken last years premiers up from their slumber and these guys deserve a touch more of a rating to coincide with their silverware of last season, they (the Sharks) have been the quite achievers this pre season and as we in Queensland all know from past experiences, once the Sharks are up and about and they get on a roll they are very hard to contain - With Canberra in the mix again this year after a break out season last year, along with the NT Thunder who are always hard to beat every season and the Redlands Bombers with their change of guard and influx of some Southern handy players along with some good young guys returning, it looks like it will be a closer, more even season, competition wise all round this year in the NEAFL - Lets hope for footy in our Northern states and Territories sake, it is played this way right through the season up and to the grand final.
Interesting to see Carse back at the bombers as senior coach. He was a gun for them in his playing days. Do you know why he is listed as an "in" on the recruitment list ??

Interesting to see Carse back at the bombers as senior coach. He was a gun for them in his playing days. Do you know why he is listed as an "in" on the recruitment list ??
Pea Nut.

I am pretty sure Phil left Bomber Land to explore his Coaching options as he received an offer from a side in the Colac area of Victoria. He has been down there plying his new trade for the past few years and he has subsequently returned home, apparently with some pretty handy Country Victoria Footballers whom I am led to believe can play and will fit in at the Bombers and more importantly at the NEALF Level, one of the other scribes on this forum will be able to elaborate in finer detail I am sure, as my knowledge is limited on this subject, I only know what the jungle drums have given out along with a few NEAFL news grabs!

Pea Nut.

I am pretty sure Phil left Bomber Land to explore his Coaching options as he received an offer from a side in the Colac area of Victoria. He has been down there plying his new trade for the past few years and he has subsequently returned home, apparently with some pretty handy Country Victoria Footballers whom I am led to believe can play and will fit in at the Bombers and more importantly at the NEALF Level, one of the other scribes on this forum will be able to elaborate in finer detail I am sure, as my knowledge is limited on this subject, I only know what the jungle drums have given out along with a few NEAFL news grabs!
Thanks Billy, yeah I knew when he left he had pursued coaching at the amateur levels back in Vic. Good to see him back at the Bombers and in the top job. Obviously has aspirations to go much further and he's certainly young enough. I just thought it was odd he was listed as a recruit. I can't imagine he'd be a playing coach.

We went to the double header at Blacktown.

Giants v GC Suns - the short comment is that the Giants are nothing special this year - probably mid-table I suppose - but the GC Suns really weren't very good, and performances like yesterday's would leave them at the bottom at season's end. There isn't much purpose to their game and their forward thrusts are mostly useless. The small forward (Greenwool #48) goes ok but he needs some helpers. The ruckman #22 held his own against Dawson Simpson. But the Suns really are a fair way off the pace.

Swans v Redland - The Bombers go ok and I can see why they've had some early success; I saw them somewhere along the way last season and this year's outfit is much better than that. I'm no expert but I could imagine that the new coach has made a difference.
Malone the ruckman #19 is one of the best ruckmen I've seen in NEAFL - agile, strong, good ground skills and a big tank. I reckon most teams would like a ruckman like that. I liked the game of the evergreen Yagmoor #4, Rolls #14 and Williams #41 in the back-line.
The Bombers probably don't have the professional backup of the Swans, so they have to just hang in there and hope for the best; at orange time the Swans coach Laidler told his troops that he reckoned that Redland would wilt if the Swans just kept on taking it up to them - the Swans did and Redland wilted as predicted. I'm not sure why - they look pretty fit - so perhaps it was a mental toughness thing.
I was hoping for a Redland win, and hope they get plenty more as the season goes on.

Seeing as how badly the AFL Swans went last night, you'd hope that the NEAFL Swans had some hotties banging on the door for senior selection. But it wasn't so - James Rose is always thereabouts for a game in the Seniors and might get a call-up, and it's only a matter of time before Blakey takes his place as a champion, but it seemed to me that there's a big gap between the seniors and reserves. The bottom three or four seniors are pretty marginal, and it's hard to see where their NEAFL replacements are.

Last edited:
How much of a crowd do games generally get? I might make my way to the Friday night game in Canberra for my first NEAFL experience.

How much of a crowd do games generally get? I might make my way to the Friday night game in Canberra for my first NEAFL experience.
Make sure you get there early to avoid the huge lines getting in. Just kidding, it will be you and a few locals. Guarantee you will be able to watch the game from wherever you like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last weekend SydUni v Canberra in Sydney...maybe 200 - you don't fail to hook up with your friends if everyone gets separated ! It makes a difference if there is a significant game preceding or after - there wasn't in that case.

Canberra people seem to follow AFL a bit so you might get a fair few, especially seeing as there are a few Giants supporters living in Canberra. Say, 300-400, but you'll still rattle at Phillip Oval. Most Giants supporters from Sydney wouldn't bother (especially when it's Canberra at night in May !). And probably hopelessly one-sided.

At NEAFL games in Sydney or Canberra, I always reckon it's a good idea to take your own food and drinks because the mobile food truck may not think it's worth turning up.

We'll be there on Saturday to watch the GWS v StKilda at Manuka - why not try that as it is a fantastic venue and manageable crowds.

Give us a report if you go out to Phillip.

Last edited:
We'll be there on Saturday to watch the GWS v StKilda at Manuka - why not try that as it is a fantastic venue and manageable crowds.
Yeah I'll definitely be there, I picked up a GWS membership to get my AFL fix and introduced my gf to the sport as well (unfortunately she insists on being a GWS supporter, but it'll make for a good trip to Sydney to watch us play each other).

NEAFL was the curtain raiser at the Q clash at Metricon a week before.

On Saturday it was the Swans v Lions in both the AFL and NEAFL - both in Brisbane.

Except the NEAFL was played out at Brendale.

We went to TIO Darwin on Saturday night to watch GWS v NT Thunder - a great night despite the lopsided score line. $10 to get in which is $10 more then we pay for NEAFL games in Sydney. About 300 people, which is 260 more than we'd get.
GWS was playing 10 listed players plus some pretty handy top-ups so NT was always going to have their work cut out.

Being Darwin, you are assured of an interesting canteen, and I had the Greek lamb Yiros - a good night is made better if the canteen is good ! Great Northern Beer which was interesting for a change too !
NT is on the right track but their polish is not good enough to put them up with the elite NEAFL teams - couldn't string together the bits of play before they were spoiled by a superbly fit and well-drilled opponent. Rioli, Parades and Ankers stood out for me but their bottom four or five are not really up to it. But the whole 22 stuck with it, even as the scoreboard blew out, and I admired them for that. The team is weaker after the retirement of the curly-haired onballer and the full-forward (forgot their names).

Go NT Thunder and stick with it - you have a good product going there.
Thanks for a warm, entertaining night.

Sharks salary cap violations has been discussed on the QAFL thread.

It is widely known on the coast in local footy circles. Am absolutely amazed that no one from Redland or Aspley have followed this up - nothing in local media either. We have heard from players at the club - and can only assume that no one has temerity to act on the breaches.
I understand there is limited interest in NEAFL but for the integrity of QLD footy it needs to be dealt with.
Sends totally the wrong message - and from a significant partner to the Suns!!

Sharks salary cap violations has been discussed on the QAFL thread.

It is widely known on the coast in local footy circles. Am absolutely amazed that no one from Redland or Aspley have followed this up - nothing in local media either. We have heard from players at the club - and can only assume that no one has temerity to act on the breaches.
I understand there is limited interest in NEAFL but for the integrity of QLD footy it needs to be dealt with.
Sends totally the wrong message - and from a significant partner to the Suns!!

Spoke to a League delegate on Saturday, and i raised the question about Southport and the Salary cap ? His reply was, you can only be over the salary cap at the end of the season, Southport have not broken any rules what so ever ? I believe Southport and Aspley run fairley close to the cap every year, i was told if anyone is over a hefty fine and premiership points would be deducted the following season. He didn't seem to fussed at all ?

Spoke to a League delegate on Saturday, and i raised the question about Southport and the Salary cap ? His reply was, you can only be over the salary cap at the end of the season, Southport have not broken any rules what so ever ? I believe Southport and Aspley run fairley close to the cap every year, i was told if anyone is over a hefty fine and premiership points would be deducted the following season. He didn't seem to fussed at all ?
Haha - nice try - if they didn’t get caught they would be well over at seasons end and no one any wiser.
This is obviously not a self reported mistake - it’s blatant win at all costs cheating and it is disgraceful that it is being treated as a retractable error.
They have selected a team full of rookies this week!
A lot of decent footy people are appalled here in SEQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back