NEAFL 2020

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im hearing a new competition is seriously being looked at, its just a matter of what clubs get a licence into it. [ or can afford to be apart of it]
VFL Teams - Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Box Hill
NEAFL Teams - Southport, Aspley, Canberra and Sydney Uni
Tasmania, 10 team competition, that includes Victoria, Sydney,Queensland, Canberra and Tasmania.
AFL Teams Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast suns would play in the stand alone AFL Reserves comp with all the Victorian AFL teams only.
WA and SA competitions would remain....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troy Mc Clure

Hi im Troy McClure
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually heard very similar during the year also, the competition would be made up of teams from Sydney, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania and Canberra.

Johnny Bananas

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Im hearing a new competition is seriously being looked at, its just a matter of what clubs get a licence into it. [ or can afford to be apart of it]
VFL Teams - Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Box Hill
NEAFL Teams - Southport, Aspley, Canberra and Sydney Uni
Tasmania, 10 team competition, that includes Victoria, Sydney,Queensland, Canberra and Tasmania.
This shows the AFL still haven't learned. The proposed league has the same problem that both the NEAFL and TSL have: they're not localised. There's little travelling support and players have to take a fair chunk of time out of their lives for games and travel, when they're not being paid like full professionals. Anywhere past a 200km journey at most is unwieldy. The TSL is only just hanging on in two cities separated by that distance, after culling areas any further out like Devonport and Burnie.

We should go back to separate leagues for Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane/Gold Coast.

Jun 30, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
No unfortunately
9 teams in the NEAFL competition for season 2020.
Maybe even less. I've heard that more than one community team is struggling to see a reason to carry on given the new rule changes and the direction the AFL is clearly taking things - i.e. all about AFL clubs as usual and no build of the local NEAFL clubs and their games as the top brand for local footy.

Top Bottom