NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

As promised here is the report on Qbn v Tuggers.

Personally I went to the game with the expectation of a Tiger victory. Home ground advantage, had beaten Tuggers convincingly in a trial only a few weeks earlier and the players keen to get a 1st up win for the new coach.

The main thing I was keen to see was how the new recruits would go.

1st Term - Qbn 7-3-45 Tuggers 1-1-7
First 10 minutes was your typical season opener. Mistakes being made by hand and foot, players keen to get at the ball, a real arm wrestle. Unfortunately Tuggers were dealt a savage blow to their structure and game plan when Dragicevic was concussed after a tackle from Ben Klemke within the first 4 minutes of play. The tackle was fair, both arms were pinned and momentum from the tackle had Dragicevic hitting his head into the ground.

Tuggers kicked the first goal after 11 minutes through Wilkinson with the first clean piece of play from either side.

But then the flood gates opened with the Tigers kicking the next 7. Kade Klemke and Atkinson were in total control and both players had the ability to create space and buy time for themselves when it seemed there was none. Kav was a real target up forward and kicked 3 goals. Ben Klemke was looking lively and and new recruit King was prominent.

2nd Term - Qbn 13-11-89 Tuggers 4-3-27
Was a similar start to the first. Tuggers having more of a dip after probably getting a roasting from Gorman and for the first 10 minutes they were competitive but again once Qbn got on top in the middle the flood gates opened and after 14 minutes of the 2nd term Kav had kicked his 6th goal of the game. Griggs was controlling the middle, Jollife was creating plenty, Stevens was composed and looking the goods and Kade Klemke and Atkinson were continuing to control the game tempo. King also grab my eye with his ability to get in and under.

Tuggers were struggling to find a clear winner on the ground. Richards was trying hard as was Litchfield, Pocock looked likely with the few entries into the forward line and Smith was seeing plenty of the ball but was unable to create offensively has he has done against the Tigers in previous matches.

3rd Term - Qbn 26-14-170 Tuggers 5-6-36
This term would be a real concern for Gorman. His side barely gave a whimper and allowed the Tigers to run riot kicking 13 goals to 1 in a term which at times looked like a training run. The Tigers treated their opponents like witches hats and Gorman would be disappointed that his side lacked a bit of leadership and character to prevent it from happening.

Tigers dominated all over the ground. Campbell and Fruend got in on the goalscoring act while Conroy and co in the middle were getting the ball out of the middle on a regular basis. Overs was creating plenty of run across half back, in fact this kid has plenty of toe and is not afraid to take opponents on which is refreshing to see.

Final Score - Qbn 30-20-200 Tuggers 7-10-52
Both sides were pretty tired come the last term, it had been a warm day and while Qbn had run hard throughout the day, Tuggers had chased for the majority and its fair to say at times players were running on the spot during this last stanza.

Tigers ran out convincing winners by 148 points

Tigers 30-20-200
Tuggers 7-10-52

Goals Qbn - Kav 9, Campbell 4, Fruend, Griggs 3, Conroy, Stevens, Jaques, B.Klemke 2, Quade, Dicko, Manie

Goals Tuggers - Pocock 4, Greenwell, Richards, Wilkinson

Better players for Qbn. Hard to pick a clear best as they dominated much of the match. I thought Kade Klemke and Atkinson showed leadership, poise, creativity and were able to control the tempo of the game without much trouble, Griggs, Conroy, Overs and Jollife got plenty of it and looked sharp, Stevens is going to be a gem this season, Kav will be hard to handle in this form and Irwin battled well in the ruck. Campbell and Fruend worked well to assist Kav in the forward line. I also like the look of new recruit King.

For Tuggers it was difficult to find. Pocock will play better and kick less goals but he has to be pleased to get 4 given the lack of opportunities. Richards battled hard as did Smith. Litchfield showed a bit but unfortunately to much was left to to few.

Would like to congratulate Noel Miller who became the first inductee as a "Tiger Legend" for his 35 years service to the club.

Anyone who has had any kind of contact with Noel will know that he is a tireless worker around Tigerland, he is the humblest of men who is always polite and never complains about anything.

Many players have worn the Black & Gold during that 35 year stint and he would have given each player their jumper prior to the game on nearly every occasion. A true champion bloke and a very deserved first inductee into the "Legends" club.

I also want to congratulate Roy Jaques on playing his 100th game. Some including myself thought his career may have been over a few seasons ago when injuries became a factor, but last season he proved us wrong with what I believe was his best year for the club. A quite fellow who just goes about his business week in week out. A leader and popular bloke around the club and it was fitting that he went up forward during the last term and showed us that he can kick a goal or 2. Even if the 2nd one from the square was kicked like a true defender.

So a good start by the Tigers, but they were in a similar position after round 1 last year. I was pleased that many of the senior players I spoke to after the game were aware of this and seem determine not to fall over as they did 12 months earlier.

While 1 win does not make a season, there were plenty of positives for Qbn, however anyone who dares make bold predictions (like some already have on here) after 1 game will probably end up with egg on their face come seasons end.

The Tigers will face much sterner tests in the coming weeks and I think this game says as much about Qbn as it does about Tuggeranong.

Big Day out for the tigers yesterday, I guess this means premiership favouratism? Klemke the savior? Kav to Kick 100? Big assumptions but it's fair to say they were quite impressive in what was a day the hawks would be wanting to just erase. Not sure where this leaves tuggaz. Any thoughts??

I wasnt at Tugg v Qybn but have heard an early spray from Gorman deflated the kids and they switched off playing for him and the jumper - sad to see Tuggers back in the same boat yet again.
After being semi competetive is some games in 2011 they dropped away severely and served up the same trash late last year - what has the summer of hard work produced ?? Zero Im afraid .... I would suggest another two or three 100+ point losses in the next month will see Gorman in trouble with the attitude down south suggesting he has had enough time to get something out of this squad.

I was at the Belco v Ains game - cracker of a day on the hill with a few beers and some sunshine.
Entertaining 1st half when Ainslie were moving the footy well ,but as they fatigued due to lack of match practice & trial games so did the game itself and it became a competetion of who could turnover the ball the most with the skill level in second half atrocious. AFC really put the cue in the rack in the last making it a comforting 5 goal loss to BMFC after it could have been a 15 goal drubbing. Belco recruits were average at best, Sharp 27 needs to spend some time in gym and on treadmill, Shane Harris 18 ?? is lively but very undisciplined & the new coach 17?? played forward initially, went loose back when they were under the pump and then into midfield but didnt really set the world on fire and looks like he hangs out with Sharp at the takeaways for lunch.The Magpies big blokes 13 & 20 ?? actually won the day with hit outs but Ainslie in the end had too much class around stoppages and clear targets up fwd in McGregor and Ash harris.
Speaking with Rourkey after the game he really thought is was a danger game for them given their limited prep and was surprised by 1st qtr effort. They will improve 100% from that hit out

Tigers by 148 against Hawks.

Match report to come later.

Very sad to see nothing has changed with Tuggeranong.

Basket case and will remain so now, completely missed the boat with bad management etc over the past two decades and half.

They should have gone on to bigger and better things after winning the flag in 1986 and the strength of their juniors.

When i played juniors for Tuggeranong back in the 80s, big things were expected with this club and unfortunately it never happened post 1986.

They let Vikings take over as THE club in the valley.:(

Very sad to see nothing has changed with Tuggeranong.

Basket case and will remain so now, completely missed the boat with bad management etc over the past two decades and half.

They should have gone on to bigger and better things after winning the flag in 1986 and the strength of their juniors.

When i played juniors for Tuggeranong back in the 80s, big things were expected with this club and unfortunately it never happened post 1986.

They let Vikings take over as THE club in the valley.:(

Harsh words there, PF - but probably fair, every other local club in the competition has had bad patches since '86, but they've all managed to get themselves primed at some stage for success. We all know footy can be somewhat "cycle" based, but they seem to miss the boat more often than all the others put together.

Harsh words there, PF - but probably fair, every other local club in the competition has had bad patches since '86, but they've all managed to get themselves primed at some stage for success. We all know footy can be somewhat "cycle" based, but they seem to miss the boat more often than all the others put together.

I would rather not be soo harsh, but the reality is, that they will continue to struggle for the forseeable future.

The lack of a licenced club continues to haunt them since the days of the Dogs home at Erindale. They had to sell it to recover costs and pay players money owed, due to bad management etc.

It would seem they also cannot attract decent sponsors, so that is another revenue stream which then has the flow-on effect to the playing list and the ability to develop or sign players.

:(

tips from the weekend. pretty easy round to tip imo

elong 4
ABH 4
Collingwood08 3
one4theroad 4
flyinghi 4
bolton 3
Carrot 4
ACTHAWK 4

The tackle was fair, both arms were pinned and momentum from the tackle had Dragicevic hitting his head into the ground.

Last I heard the pinning of the arms resulting in a head hitting the turf was outlawed ABH.

Just sayin

The tackle was fair, both arms were pinned and momentum from the tackle had Dragicevic hitting his head into the ground.

Last I heard the pinning of the arms resulting in a head hitting the turf was outlawed ABH.

Just sayin

How else do you lay the perfect tackle?

Pretty sure if the arms are pinned and you sling the player to the turf its not in the laws of the game.

Mr Holmes (ex Tri Colours skipper) will tell you that them type of tackles are frowned upon these days as he recieved a two week ban last year for performing one.
I'm not saying I agree with the rule ABH, just saying that these days those type of (perfect tackles) are being pushed out of the game. (Just like the perfect bump we saw James McDonald perform for GWS on saturday night)

Btw on a lighter note full credit to Belco on their new Port Power inspired strip. Looked fantastic on the weekend. Must say I wasn't a big fan of the old one but this new design is tops!
Have they canned the old one all together or will this white V design mainly be used for clash and away games??

Mr Holmes (ex Tri Colours skipper) will tell you that them type of tackles are frowned upon these days as he recieved a two week ban last year for performing one.
I'm not saying I agree with the rule ABH, just saying that these days those type of (perfect tackles) are being pushed out of the game. (Just like the perfect bump we saw James McDonald perform for GWS on saturday night)

Btw on a lighter note full credit to Belco on their new Port Power inspired strip. Looked fantastic on the weekend. Must say I wasn't a big fan of the old one but this new design is tops!
Have they canned the old one all together or will this white V design mainly be used for clash and away games??

These are just the Away strip, LBJ. Sticking with the old ones for the home games.

Good effort by the boys for the last 3 quarters on Sunday. turnovers, especially coming into the forward 50, hurt us with some good drives forward wasted. Great to see A Dess have a solid start to the season. Kicked 4 and probably missed at least 3 others he should have got.

Probably a bit harsh regarding Harris and Lokan. Both showed definate promise and had some good impact.

I agree with the discipline comment. You can't expect to give away that many free kicks and 50s and expect to beat a team of Ainslies quality.

A definate improvement on last year with work still to be done.

I would rather not be soo harsh, but the reality is, that they will continue to struggle for the forseeable future.

The lack of a licenced club continues to haunt them since the days of the Dogs home at Erindale. They had to sell it to recover costs and pay players money owed, due to bad management etc.

It would seem they also cannot attract decent sponsors, so that is another revenue stream which then has the flow-on effect to the playing list and the ability to develop or sign players.

:(
Do other local Clubs still put money into some sort of support basis for the Hawks, or from the League?

Just a brief correction re Dragicevic - tackler was new recruit Josh Bryce.

Match Review Panel appear to have reviewed the tackle, either at the insistence of Tuggeranong (which is fair enough) or simply because any incident involving a stretcher is likely to come under scrutiny. Bryce will miss one week. May well have been more if he had a record or didn't take the early plea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are just the Away strip, LBJ. Sticking with the old ones for the home games.

Good effort by the boys for the last 3 quarters on Sunday. turnovers, especially coming into the forward 50, hurt us with some good drives forward wasted. Great to see A Dess have a solid start to the season. Kicked 4 and probably missed at least 3 others he should have got.

Probably a bit harsh regarding Harris and Lokan. Both showed definate promise and had some good impact.

I agree with the discipline comment. You can't expect to give away that many free kicks and 50s and expect to beat a team of Ainslies quality.

A definate improvement on last year with work still to be done.

The lack of trial matches was evident as the game went on. However Rourkey has them training very well and they are only going to get better. Good retention and recruitment over the off season will help with that also.

It was a good hit out once Belco decided to actually have a dig. Damn that Harris has a huge (I would say run up but half of it was walking) approach to a shot at goal.

Good to see Lokan has a sense of humour. Few of the boys giving his some friendly banter when he came to the bench, had a good laugh.

Just a brief correction re Dragicevic - tackler was new recruit Josh Bryce.

Match Review Panel appear to have reviewed the tackle, either at the insistence of Tuggeranong (which is fair enough) or simply because any incident involving a stretcher is likely to come under scrutiny. Bryce will miss one week. May well have been more if he had a record or didn't take the early plea.

Thanks for clearing that up Gois and apologies to Klemke.

With this "perfect" tackle and the McDonald bump against the Swans its safe to say this great game of ours is a little softer these days!

It's pretty frustrating to see players rubbed out when they have laid a good tackle. Pinning the arms is a necessity if you want to stop tho opponent getting rid of the ball, and so long as there is no deliberate slinging which results in the opponents head hitting the ground, it should be fine. Whilst concussions aren't desirable, it's a contact sport and it's going to happen every now and then. Another issue I have is the "holding the man" call - when a player has, regardless of prior opportunity, dropped the ball, and the tackler continues the tackle for a mere second, they are pinned for holding the man. How is the tackler supposed to know the ball has been dropped? They are in the middle of a tackle. A little common sense from the umpires and umpires coaches would go a long way.

Gidday from beautiful Sydney - can't wait to see how the new boys from the big smoke adapt this weekend. Might well both get belted I reckon !

Interesting comment from whoever it was who said that Hills and Sydney Uni played like Sydney League teams last weekend...seemed that way to me too. But Hills has some bigger bodies than last year and might find it easier to step up, than might Sydney Uni.

It's exciting times for us all, with the Giants starting up at the same time as the NEAFL goes to the next stage.

Too much footy just isn't enough, is it ?

i agree that it's a bit over the top rubbing blokes out for pinning the arms when tackling players. but that's the reality and that is the way our game is now, so players are going to have to figure out different ways to tackle opposition players effectively.

ABH, I don't think the game has necessarily gone soft. I don't see what is tough about belting a bloke when he can't even see you. anyone can run off the edge of the square and do that, you dont have to be tough. the argument i would have about the tough players suffering in our game is the holding the ball rule. it doesn't encourage players to go into a pack and win the footy because they will get penalised.

this weekend will be interesting and tell us a lot about the competition. can't wait!

How is what Old Mac did, different to taking out a bloke who is trying to chase down your team mate.

Do we black ban the shepherd and blocking for your team mate also?

And what was your thoughts on the Maxwell 4 week ban against WC a few seasons back?

Its already clear that doing what use to be described as the "perfect tackle" is frowned upon and now the "perfect bump" is gone.

Sad for football IMO.

I personally don't think Macdonald did anything wrong, BUT with the way the game is controlled these days, they detest anyone going past the ball and "hitting" someone. This goes to the sheparding rule, must be within 5 metres of the ball, if we take it out of the game then we are taking away another part of our game that makes it unique.
I can't believe that Josh got a week for the tackle, from my vantage point he did nothing wrong (don't even think a free kick was paid against him?). The punishment also is determined by the "injury" sustained, I don't want to see anyone out of the game injured but our game is a physical game where people will get injured, but if you run into someone, both get up and keep playing then everything is fine. If one stays down, has to go off on a strecther then everyone wants to look at it because someone must have down something wrong and needs to be punished for it.
I totally agree with carrot, hate the holding the man free kick when the ball comes out in a tackle.

Its all just how the world is now a days unfortunately. If someone gets hurt or whatever is has to be someone elses fault.
Calling something an accident isnt a good enough excuse to please people anymore and someone has to be held responsible.
Its a complete joke, but somehow this has become reality.:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back