NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

With finals approaching, how do we think teams are shaping up?

Swans - sitting top without fielding strong sides, will they lay down again come finals?

Belco - much improved, still yet to defeat a top five side.. Pretenders??

Tri-Colours - much improved also, look to be the pick of the Canberra sides. Should feature heavily in September

Eastlake - have shown glimpses but yet to be convincing

Giants - could be hard to beat if all listed players continue through the finals. Big contenders

Tigers - two games out of the five, will the reining premiers miss out? Easy run home may not be enough

Uni - improvement on last year, have taken some big scalps. Looking forward to seeing what the students dish up in 14

Hills - disappointing to say the least, will look to bounce back next year

Hawks - not much to play for now

Are you guys down there oblivious to what's about to happen. This re structure is happening. It's purely driven by the AFL as the Bris Lions are not overly sure what's happening either. Has Tom Harley told you all that everything will be alright.
Don't worry about how teams will fair next year cause most likely they won't be there. Minimum spend is $500000. No salary cap for Canberra teams and $200000 salary cap for Northern teams. That's only because of the money the Ainslies donate to the Afl. If you are successful in entering the new restructure you will effectively lose your reserve grade and your under 18's, hence why a Morningside or Redlands will most likely not lodge there application. Each Neafl club gets a squad of 35. Players not used of that 35 are farmed out to community clubs. If Ainslie is in, it can't have a team ( reserves ) in the next level down, so players will be farmed out to say Tuggernong. Ainslie then pays those players wages. Currently this week up here most clubs are having board meetings to decide weather it's worth it. But logic tells us only Southport would really have the finances to sustain. Our other club most likely is aspley and strong word is they won't lodge.
The NQ team is a definite. Most likely based in Townsville using players from Cairns down to Mackay and a bunch of PNG scholarship holders. Otherwise a good percentage boost. Flabbergasted to think the AFL will lob $1 million into a team in a city with a 4 team comp. A bigger logistical nightmare than coaching the NT Thunder.
If no northern team nominates then plan B comes in which we believe is to start 2 new franchises one in Sth Brisbane and one in Nth Brisbane. Wowee.
Lads start asking questions of your clubs Club development manager. They work for the AFL, they are the know.
Good Luck

My original mail was that the Canberra clubs had no clue of the developments.
Any signs of financial/infrastructure flaws from Canberra clubs and they will be left out.
Affiliation fees of 500K.
No salary cap on player payments for Canberra clubs but Qld will have a cap....but this will change as they look to reduce Canberra sides by 2015.
1 Sydney side in with Uni the favourites due to availability to funding and owning their facilities.

AFL are adamant that they want quality opposition each week with facilities to match.

My inside info is that all sides from NEAFL Eastern Comp except Tuggeranong (as communicated in the AFL press release) will be in the new comp in 2014. There will be a greater impact on our Northern neighbours

Well it's certainly different. Not clear whether the $0.5 million affliation fee is an annual charge or a one off entry fee. Either way, the impact on ACTAFL will be massive. Presumably the intent is to build the code in NSW/ACT, Qld and NT into a VFL level stand alone competition. No doubt more will be revealed over the next 12-18 months. I also trust that the affected clubs get sufficent clear and timely information to allow them to make informed decisions as to opting in or out.

The high costs also suggest that an underlying intent is to get the established four ACT clubs to somehow amalgamate to form possibly two "super" clubs, maybe even eventually one ACT representative club. Good luck with that. We all know how well club mergers have worked in the AFL over the last couple of generations. We've had two that were successful in the ACT (Eastlake/Manuka and Belconnen/West Canberra) but they didn't happen without dramas.

However, if it comes off, the benefit to local young footballers aspiring to AFL standard should be great. I just hope it doesn't come at the cost of impoverishing the lower level competitions in which the vast majority of our AFL players compete.

Well it's certainly different. Not clear whether the $0.5 million affliation fee is an annual charge or a one off entry fee. Either way, the impact on ACTAFL will be massive. Presumably the intent is to build the code in NSW/ACT, Qld and NT into a VFL level stand alone competition. No doubt more will be revealed over the next 12-18 months. I also trust that the affected clubs get sufficent clear and timely information to allow them to make informed decisions as to opting in or out.

The high costs also suggest that an underlying intent is to get the established four ACT clubs to somehow amalgamate to form possibly two "super" clubs, maybe even eventually one ACT representative club. Good luck with that. We all know how well club mergers have worked in the AFL over the last couple of generations. We've had two that were successful in the ACT (Eastlake/Manuka and Belconnen/West Canberra) but they didn't happen without dramas.

However, if it comes off, the benefit to local young footballers aspiring to AFL standard should be great. I just hope it doesn't come at the cost of impoverishing the lower level competitions in which the vast majority of our AFL players compete.
All submissions to be in by AUGUST 1.. Plenty of time!!!!!!
Also latest from up here is $600000 minimum spend and the neafl northern teams that qualify don't play GWS or Swans during season....but it's one comp!!!!

Also latest from up here is $600000 minimum spend and the neafl northern teams that qualify don't play GWS or Swans during season....but it's one comp!!!!

That is a bit of a worry. Sounds like policy being made up on the run. Isn't it strange that there's never enough time to do it right at the start but all the time in the world to do it over later on.

My mail says
My inside info is that all sides from NEAFL Eastern Comp except Tuggeranong (as communicated in the AFL press release) will be in the new comp in 2014. There will be a greater impact on our Northern neighbours

My mail is the AFL are considering introducing a New Zealand based team

...................1 Sydney side in with Uni the favourites due to availability to funding and owning their facilities.

AFL are adamant that they want quality opposition each week with facilities to match.
ABH, I believe your sources are half right - BOTH Sydney teams to be in for now.
But I think your sources are horribly astray about Sydney Uni ticking the boxes:-
1. they don't have a strong funding model, and the Uni is certainly not going to underwrite them - Uni's are strapped for cash these days and the academics would become revolting if they found out that the University was sinking a cool half-a-mill to a venture like this.
2. Uni used to use the No. 1 oval, but it is shared intensely with other Uni sporting bodies - so much so that it became badly degraded and can't be used for now. So SydUni is using Drummoyne but that is owned by Canada Bay Council.....you just have to drive by to see all the signs erected by the various stakeholders in that.
3. and No 1 oval is unsuitable for quality AFL due to shape, size, lack of amenities and that big tree that overhangs the arena on the western side.

I think you will find that Syd Uni will make the cut, but for quite different reasons.

The thing does need an urgent restructure, but what to do.
4 AFL two'
Plus 2 Sydney teams ( I'd go with a nth & sth rep team to get away from swans giants east/west thing)
But getting behind the scenes people to help around the clubs would be a problem particularly in first couple of years.
ACT 2 teams same issues as above
Brisbane 2 teams nth/sth or east/west whatever locals think best same issues as Sydney & ACT
GC 2 teams as above
You get one 12 team comp so 22 rounds play everyone twice ( I know it's amazing hey ) the AFL should fund them as well.

Or just go nuclear
2 NSW AFL two'
2 Qld AFL two'
2 SA AFL two'
2 WA AFL two'
1 Tas rep team
1 NT rep team

&
A 10 team VFL (Vic AFL two' comp ) I know it's mad isn't it.
If FOX will broadcast an elite junior comp for NRL I'm sure they'd be happy for content on fox footy

Obviously AFL would have to kick in the cash at the start but if reasonable pay TV coverage etc may get some cash from that sponsors & possibly state gov tourism ad spend etc

State leagues go back to being state leagues with their own identities

I haven't managed to get to any NEAFL since being back so should probably shut up

Playing at Tuggers, from what I understand the AFL is looking at reducing the number of canberra teams to 3 (Possibly 2) over time. Tuggers was the first to go for obvious reasons, over the next 2-3 seasons the AFL will look at cutting the next worst performing canberra based side, while looking at maybe adding a regional side from the wagga area. Not sure whats happening up north tho

Version 1 - A text today suggested that NEAFL may only consist of 1-2 Canberra sides, 2-3 Brissy sides, 4 AFL ressies sides and regional sides in Newcastle/Riverina/Cairns. The hope is that the Canberra best players go play for the NEAFL 1-2 sides creating a stronger team than the ones that front up most weeks against the AFL sides. Apparently the clubs need to own their oval and facilties. This narrows the field down considerably at the present. Tuggers already gone.

Version 2 - All Canberra sides are in (Tuggers gone) and 4 Nth Conf sides will dissapear with the inclusion of a side from Townsville/Cairns. This apparently was communicated to clubs yesterday.

Time will tell which is true or if version 2 is short term and version 1 is the long term goal of the AFL but it is certain that the AFL wants a stronger comp and AFL ressies sides flogging local sides even with restrictions is not what they are after.
I've heard those same rumors, I think it will be version 2 immediately with it changing to version 1 over time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally i'd like to see the AFL clubs taken from the competition, no one gives a sh!t about them and at times it could be argued that they have turned the comp into a bit of a joke. The NEAFL is good in principle, but it cant be sustained.

What's wrong with an AFL NSW/ACT styled comp. Canberra teams + a few Sydney sides.

personally i'd like to see the AFL clubs taken from the competition, no one gives a sh!t about them and at times it could be argued that they have turned the comp into a bit of a joke. The NEAFL is good in principle, but it cant be sustained.

What's wrong with an AFL NSW/ACT styled comp. Canberra teams + a few Sydney sides.

Not enough quality sides or depth of players in the Sydney competition from what I have seen. Both Sydney sides sit at the bottom this year and they were the best in their league a few years ago

2013 over for the tigers?

As long as the maths is in their favour they are always a chance but the weekend was a massive blow for them and they will now rely heavily on other results.

Without being around the club much this season or being able to watch them play from the outside it appears that if they can't beat Uni then they are just about done. Incredibly disappointing result considering it was a must win clash.

AFTER ROUND 19
...................................................ATTEMPTS .........NAILED............ PERCENTAGE
a bit high..................................................69.............52(0) ....................75%
14theroad................................................ 78.............56(1).....................72%
footytragic222.......................................... 61............ 41(-).....................67%
justabaraker............................................. 77............ 46(0).....................60%
collingwood08 ...........................................28............ 17(-).....................61%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-).....................60%
Demonroo...................................................4...............2(-).....................50%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0..........................0%

NEXT WEEK - Round 20

UWS Giants v Sydney Uni
Brisbane Lions V Swans
Southport v Eastlake
Hills Eagles V Tuggeranong
Ainslie v Queanbeyan

Anyone can join in.....regular or occasional.
Bragging rights to the winner - no better prizes than that, sorry

my tips:-

Giants
Brisbane Lions
Southport
Eagles
Ainslie

Saw the article in the Qbn paper over the weekend (via Google !) about NEAFL going forward, and now it seems that we'll all be here again next season, doing it all again.

But I'm wondering a bit like Mr Fowlie as to whether it's worth all the bother in be in this Super-NEAFL. The costs are only going to skyrocket, the logistics are only going to get more complicated, the time committment (training and travel) are going to become more pressing, and it won't become any more relevant to the average footy fan. Most fans will see their favourite team playing, less and less often, unless they travel bigtime.

Super NEAFL will offer better standard footy and the possibility that one of our best-and-brightest will get drafted. But the local footy, available to us EVERY WEEK, might be lesser standard but offers something special and important.

It's all very well to base it on the Victorian VFL but those clubs are within driving distance of each other, not a long bus trip or a plane flight away.

NEXT WEEK - Round 20

UWS Giants v Sydney Uni
Brisbane Lions V Swans
Southport v Eastlake
Hills Eagles V Tuggeranong
Ainslie v Queanbeyan

Anyone can join in.....regular or occasional.
Bragging rights to the winner - no better prizes than that, sorry

my tips:-

Giants
Brisbane Lions
Southport
Eagles
Ainslie

Same

Remove this Banner Ad

Back