NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

It is now official that Tuggeranong will not be in the NEAFL after this season. They've got some decent players, it will be interesting to see how many of them stay in Canberra and what clubs they go to.

End of an Era for the old ACTAFL...Been on the cards over the years, but its doom for Aussie Rules in Tuggeranong in my opinion.

This was a strong Aussie Rules town at local level, once upon a time....things changed for the worst in this town.

Yep, tuggers had a big chance to merge with the creek, but they were selfish and have probably got what they deserve. Would of worked, a southern suburbs club heavily funded by the labor club group with licensed premises. But Tuggers shot themselves in the foot, leaving the creek prefering to fold as a club then merge with them.

Yep, tuggers had a big chance to merge with the creek, but they were selfish and have probably got what they deserve. Would of worked, a southern suburbs club heavily funded by the labor club group with licensed premises. But Tuggers shot themselves in the foot, leaving the creek prefering to fold as a club then merge with them.

Exactly, WC had financial backing from Labor Club, a clubhouse that could generate revenue so it seemed like a no brainer except few over precious people thought Tuggers could go it alone.

Hope they are well pleased.

Exactly, WC had financial backing from Labor Club, a clubhouse that could generate revenue so it seemed like a no brainer except few over precious people thought Tuggers could go it alone.

Hope they are well pleased.

4 things.(have been quiet for a while,shaking my head about NEAFL changes)

1. Agree re Tuggers shooting themselves in the foot but I feel for the ones left as the decision makers have long gone.

2. This is not the first big blue out that way. In 1986 they spent a fortune they didn't have,won the flag,fantastic, but it broke them and they lost their club and the Vikings stole that space in the valley. A five year plan developed the year before became a one year plan and all was thrown into winning in 1986. They haven't recovered and still whinge about losing their licensed club. Belco in the meantime have recovered from losing their Shed and now have three clubs and success. It comes down to quality admin and Tuggers haven't had this. As I said I feel very sorry for those there now, they are paying the price for poor admin. in the past.

3. Canberra club management need to have a real hard look at what is happening to the NEAFL comp. A lunchtime Mulroney,Mulroney to go in the new comp, 4 Afl clubs in the new comp, etc etc.
Local clubs will be playing for 5th. the rest will be used for practice. 4 AFL clubs will not have list number restrictions so local clubs will be pounded!! Need to get mobilised like QLD and speak up against the takeover by the AFL.

4. Saw a great game at Ainslie today. Congrats to both sides in a real good tough battle decided on the last kick almost.

That is what we may need to get back to it seems.

Exactly right if Canberra wants to get its footy back it needs to be on its own terms, no-one cares about canberra teams playing against QLD teams except development/recruiting officers of AFL clubs, who unfortunatly pay the bills. The game is built on competition. competitiveness and tribalism, all of which is lost unless your watching 2 traditional canberra clubs going head to head, same in QLD and same in sydney. Weston Creek agreed to merge, unfortunately tuggers only wanted to sign 2 Weston Creek players, take the labor club cash and call themselves the tuggeranong hawks, so the creek told them to Jam it, now one club is defunct and the other one still a basket case.

Tuggeranong Oval is one of the better grounds in the ACT. The surface appears to be good, there is enclosed parking and I'd suggest that the infrastructure for players and spectators is the equal of any of the other club grounds excepting Manuka Oval. Will Tuggeranong still be able to maintain it without running a NEAFL side?

Tuggeranong Oval is one of the better grounds in the ACT. The surface appears to be good, there is enclosed parking and I'd suggest that the infrastructure for players and spectators is the equal of any of the other club grounds excepting Manuka Oval. Will Tuggeranong still be able to maintain it without running a NEAFL side?

Good point Schlurp. Guess it is an ACT Govt ground but Tuggers would have to rent it. Not much incentive now it would seem. Despite the cold it wasn't a bad day out down there.

See on the Northern Conf. site Morningside have advised the AFL they wont be taking part in their comp. next year.

Gee wiz I cant agree with this post. No protection for supporters or players from the howling cold wind. The surface has multiple lines running across it due to the amount of different sports that are played. As a player you had little idea which line represented what and could easily become confussed. The changrooms were cramped and uncomfortable and was not big enough for your team let alone the trainers as well.

Ok for a smaller league I guess but never thought it up to scratch for ACTAFL of NEAFL

Gee wiz I cant agree with this post. No protection for supporters or players from the howling cold wind. The surface has multiple lines running across it due to the amount of different sports that are played. As a player you had little idea which line represented what and could easily become confussed. The changrooms were cramped and uncomfortable and was not big enough for your team let alone the trainers as well.

Ok for a smaller league I guess but never thought it up to scratch for ACTAFL of NEAFL

No problems with the points you raised ABH but when was the last time you went to Amaroo (acknowledging that they played Div 1 and not NEAFL)? Ainslie has a brilliant surface but the visitors change facilities and spectator areas could do with some work. Dairy Farmers is good from all perspectives, Manuka is the League's gold standard while Belconnen ticks virtually all the boxes with the only criticism I'd make is that the ground is too short. I suppose the point that I was trying to make is that with Tuggeranong dropping out of NEAFL, it leaves a ground with substantial upsides, both actual and potential, at risk of being lost to senior football.

Sorry for the delay, punters.....been caught up with something else

AFTER ROUND 20
...................................................ATTEMPTS .........NAILED............ PERCENTAGE
a bit high..................................................74.............57(5) ....................77%
14theroad................................................ 83.............60(4).....................72%
footytragic222.......................................... 61............ 41(-).....................67%
justabaraker............................................. 82............ 51(5).....................62%
collingwood08 ...........................................28............ 17(-).....................61%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-).....................60%
Demonroo...................................................4...............2(-).....................50%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0..........................0%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NEXT WEEK - Round 21

Tuggeranong v Eastlake
Swans v Giants
Hills Eagles V Syd Uni
Queanbeyan v Belconnen

Anyone can join in.....regular or occasional.
Bragging rights to the winner - no better prizes than that, sorry

my tips:-

Eastlake
Giants
Syd Uni
Belconnen

No problems with the points you raised ABH but when was the last time you went to Amaroo (acknowledging that they played Div 1 and not NEAFL)? Ainslie has a brilliant surface but the visitors change facilities and spectator areas could do with some work. Dairy Farmers is good from all perspectives, Manuka is the League's gold standard while Belconnen ticks virtually all the boxes with the only criticism I'd make is that the ground is too short. I suppose the point that I was trying to make is that with Tuggeranong dropping out of NEAFL, it leaves a ground with substantial upsides, both actual and potential, at risk of being lost to senior football.

Funny you mention Amaroo as I played there yesterday in a Dad v Dad game from my sons Auskick. Yep it's pretty average also and funnily enough they call it Arctic Park also!

Congratulations to Keith Miller for the launch of his book "Kick it Long" at yesterday's lunch at the Eastlake Football Club. The event was hosted by John Harmes and attended by about 180 people, many of whom were obviously senior former Eastlake and Manuka FC players. Michael Conlan was there and looks like he has aged well. Catering and service for lunch was excellent so it was a great afternoon. I'm looking forward to reading the book, firstly from the perspective of a narrative of the history of two ACTFL clubs and secondly to get a feel for the way Canberra as a city and community developed over the past 80 plus years.

Ainslie has a brilliant surface but the visitors change facilities and spectator areas could do with some work.
Hey Schlurp, don't often stand up for the arch nemesis during my career, but have to disagree about their visitors rooms. We were there the day the officially launched a major refurb, and were there again last weekend. They don't look much from the outside, but I'd have to say the inside of the visitors rooms is now probably the best of all Canberra grounds (Manuka excepted). Probably the only rooms where first and reserves sides fit easily.

Hey Schlurp, don't often stand up for the arch nemesis during my career, but have to disagree about their visitors rooms. We were there the day the officially launched a major refurb, and were there again last weekend. They don't look much from the outside, but I'd have to say the inside of the visitors rooms is now probably the best of all Canberra grounds (Manuka excepted). Probably the only rooms where first and reserves sides fit easily.

Fair enough Michael. My comment was made on what I remember the facilities to be a few years ago. I've obviously got this wrong so apologies to all concerned.

AFTER ROUND 21
...................................................ATTEMPTS .........NAILED............ PERCENTAGE
a bit high..................................................78.............58(1) ....................74%
14theroad................................................ 87.............61(1).....................70%
footytragic222.......................................... 61............ 41(-).....................67%
collingwood08 ...........................................28............ 17(-).....................61%
justabaraker............................................. 86............ 52(1).....................60%
tater19.....................................................10..............6(-).....................60%
Demonroo...................................................4...............2(-).....................50%
grimlock......................................................1.............. 0..........................0%

NEXT WEEK - Round 22
Brisbane Lions v UWS
Ainslie v Eastlake
Qbn v Hills Eagles
Belconnen v Tuggeranong
Sydney Uni v Sydney Swans
Anyone can join in.....regular or occasional.
Bragging rights to the winner - no better prizes than that, sorry
my tips:-
Lions
Ainslie
Qbn
Belconnen
Swans

So, with the reorganised NEAFL coming and the requirements placed on the Qld clubs, it can't be long before the AFL requires all clubs to meet the same benchmarks, which means owning your own ground. Does anyone know if this is a concern at Eastlake Re: Manuka Oval? I mean their isn't much competition for Manuka Oval at that time, but theoretically Eastlake can be kicked off at anytime the ACT Government feels like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back