NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a smart arse on every forum, and I think I must be the one for this forum....

I've done the research as requested......

Belconnen and Eagles BOTH to finish fourth (wow, that will be controversial !!), no-one at fifth, so that leaves Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong. Presumably top and bottom.

Much as I like your team, ABH, I couldn't be too confident of them going back-to-back in a comp that is so unpredictable and is developing and changing so fast. And the author doesn't seem to be especially knowledgable anyway.
As Professor Manning Clark said (hey, a prominent Canberra dweller !!), if you don't like my version of history then write your own !
I'm tipping Swans to win, SydUni for the final five

PS - if you agree with my selections then we can send up some puffs of white smoke over Manuka to show that we have all agreed on the outcome.

I agree it will be as tough for the Tigers to go back to back as it will to remain undefeated against Canberra opposition.

I will have a crack at a ladder.

Swans - Always the team to beat
Qbn - Still plenty of match winners regardless of key defensive losses
Hills - Have picked up some key players and will improve on last season great 1st season
Ainslie - Proud club that will respond
Eastlake - I dont rate their style or some of their cattle but they are always there or there abouts
UWS - Another pre season at the highest level will see them battle for a finals berth
Belconnen - Will improve on last season, may be building for a crack in 2014
Uni - Dont know enough about their recruits to comment but they are coming from a long way back
Tuggeranong - Will struggle again

I agree it will be as tough for the Tigers to go back to back as it will to remain undefeated against Canberra opposition.

I will have a crack at a ladder.

Swans - Always the team to beat
Qbn - Still plenty of match winners regardless of key defensive losses
Hills - Have picked up some key players and will improve on last season great 1st season
Ainslie - Proud club that will respond
Eastlake - I dont rate their style or some of their cattle but they are always there or there abouts
UWS - Another pre season at the highest level will see them battle for a finals berth
Belconnen - Will improve on last season, may be building for a crack in 2014
Hills - Dont know enough about their recruits to comment but they are coming from a long way back
Tuggeranong - Will struggle again
presuming the second hills noted is syd uni?

Hi ABH. You say you don't rate Eastlake's style or some of their cattle. What aspects of their game style are you critical of?

Hi ABH. You say you don't rate Eastlake's style or some of their cattle. What aspects of their game style are you critical of?

Its only an opinion but I don't like the short chip kicks that they continually do across half back, they over use the footy going sideways and backwards. I believe they waste a lot of energy mucking around with it. One mistake and a turn over is costly.

I also don't believe they like it in and under

Its only an opinion but I don't like the short chip kicks that they continually do across half back, they over use the footy going sideways and backwards. I believe they waste a lot of energy mucking around with it. One mistake and a turn over is costly.

I also don't believe they like it in and under

Thanks for that ABH. I'll try to see more Eastlake NEAFL games this year and will bear your views in mind. What you describe seems to also describe the style of play the Richmond FC perpetrated in the pre Hardwick era. Drove me and thousands of other supporters nuts.

Thanks for that ABH. I'll try to see more Eastlake NEAFL games this year and will bear your views in mind. What you describe seems to also describe the style of play the Richmond FC perpetrated in the pre Hardwick era. Drove me and thousands of other supporters nuts.

One would hope they have trained differently to elliminate this but it's been their style for several years and while it's been successful for the most part against lesser opponents it gets found out when they play the better disciplined sides.

Schlurp have you joined NEAFL DT & SC?

I haven't ABH. I'm sure it's fun but I'm interested in other parts of the game. I follow the threads and (mostly - it does get a bit weird sometimes) enjoy the banter but tend only to post when something grabs my attention or there's a possibility that I can contribute something to the conversation. Best of luck to the participants though. I'm very much looking forward to the 2013 season and will be at Kippax on Saturday morning to see it all start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always hard to tip the first round, didn't see Eastlake and Belconnen play last month but going to tip the same result. Belconnen and Queanbeyan for me.

Belco and Tigers for me this week.
If the Swans ressies we're only allowed to
handball except kicking for goal then they would only win by 20 goals
Poor Uni feel for them with the senior players also having a run.
Might get very very ugly.

Eastlake by 8 goals at the Nest.

They have been pretty quiet over the summer with recruits but still did it easy in the end.

Reckon the Magpies would be bitterly disappointed with their showing particularly the last term. They had a big build up and predicted big things for themselves in 2013 but on this showing they still have plenty to do.

If the Swans ressies we're only allowed to
handball except kicking for goal then they would only win by 20 goals
Poor Uni feel for them with the senior players also having a run.
Might get very very ugly.
I wasn't there but I'm told that Swans Reserves won something like 27 goals to 3. It was a star-studded Swans turnout and stronger than they will get to field from now on.
Whether they win the flag or not will most likely depend on the handicapper, like racing Black Caviar.

Had to leave at half time but Tigers down by 20 at 3/4 time win by 3 with a kick after the siren from Kav.

Gutsy win lads!

Yes ABH gutsy win. Ainslie a bit stiff but Tigers played poorly and turned the ball over a lot handing pretty soft goals to Ainslie. Ainslie flooded all day and looked good but the Tigers did well to keep getting on the scoreboard.

The Irwin bump was a good hard hip and shoulder but being a taller player bump on a small player made it look bad.

Interesting to compare that to the three elbows thrown by the tall Ainslie player,will not name him but he has a history,one leaving a Qbn player with a really sore jaw. Shades of Love v Westcome from a few years ago. Wait to see if that one comes under review.It should!!

Welcome back PH and good to catch up with you yesterday.

Sounds like I left when things were about to heat up. Agree Tigers disposal was sloppy in the first half, would have hated leading to some of that stuff. We definitely over used the footy at times.

It was a funny first half with Ainslie dominating play in the first term but Qbn hanging in there and in the 2nd it was the complete reverse.

Did Irwin get reported because they can I'll afford missing another tall.

The Tigers were lucky to get the 4 points and I reckon Ainslie were stiff not to win.
I personally didn't see "the bump" (was reaching for my beer or looking at the program) but those around said it didn't look good.
Yep ABH Neilo got reported for the bump.
Was very strange that once Barrie was stretchered off that it was the Tigers that came to life and not the Tricolors.
Kicked 3 quick goals and then it was an arm wrestle.
Both sides were out on their feet in the last 10 minutes but Kav's goal, showed great composure under pressure.
2 of the weirdest umpiring decisions I have every seen in the last quarter.
Goal given and flags waved for an Ainslie goal at the town end, looked close to being touched but carry on decision made. Boundary umpire then comes in and it looked like he said "that ball was touch before the line" conference ensued and they reverse the goal to a point.
Minutes later Quadie has a set shot but before the goal umpire signaled anything the central rushes in and says he thinks it went over the post and should be a point, not sure what the goal umpire was going to give but it looked like a goal was going to be awarded. Very strange indeed.

The Tigers were lucky to get the 4 points and I reckon Ainslie were stiff not to win.
I personally didn't see "the bump" (was reaching for my beer or looking at the program) but those around said it didn't look good.
Yep ABH Neilo got reported for the bump.
Was very strange that once Barrie was stretchered off that it was the Tigers that came to life and not the Tricolors.
Kicked 3 quick goals and then it was an arm wrestle.
Both sides were out on their feet in the last 10 minutes but Kav's goal, showed great composure under pressure.
2 of the weirdest umpiring decisions I have every seen in the last quarter.
Goal given and flags waved for an Ainslie goal at the town end, looked close to being touched but carry on decision made. Boundary umpire then comes in and it looked like he said "that ball was touch before the line" conference ensued and they reverse the goal to a point.
Minutes later Quadie has a set shot but before the goal umpire signaled anything the central rushes in and says he thinks it went over the post and should be a point, not sure what the goal umpire was going to give but it looked like a goal was going to be awarded. Very strange indeed.

ABH and OFTR

Good summary there OFTR. Agree Ainslie a bit stiff but great comeback from the Tigers.

The umpiring was ordinary all day and those two decisions to overrule the goal umpires at any time let alone in the last few minutes of a tight game were puzzling to put it mildly. Haven't seen it before in my time let alone twice in five minutes.

We do not have the video replay arrangements that the big AFL have therefore it is getting into very dangerous territory to be starting to follow the big guys without the technology to back it up.Why have goal umpires if they are going to be overuled!
Those two wouldn't feel too good or confident today.

Anyway great footy is back so we can bang on about things like this.

Welcome back PH and good to catch up with you yesterday.

Sounds like I left when things were about to heat up. Agree Tigers disposal was sloppy in the first half, would have hated leading to some of that stuff. We definitely over used the footy at times.

It was a funny first half with Ainslie dominating play in the first term but Qbn hanging in there and in the 2nd it was the complete reverse.

Did Irwin get reported because they can I'll afford missing another tall.

Irwin reported and facing tribunal. I saw the bump and personally I thought it was nothing more than a Big man going hard at contest vs small man. it was careless but it did not look like a cheap shot. having said that i think he will get a lot of weeks in my opinion. which will hurt the tigers. great to see kav kick the winning goal- couldnt think of a more fitting player to kick winning goal. was a great comeback by tigers. i personally thought the standard of the game was fairly average, much like eastlake vs belco, but that is to be expected round 1. it will be a great year though!

There was an omission from the NEAFL ins and outs by the Canberra Times and the magazine Play last Saturday.
Sent an email to CT but no reply.
David Coward left Eastlake at the end of last year and was playing with Coburg VFL.
Before the trial games got under way he left.
He retired from the game on his twentieth birthday.

Another NEAFL "out"...
According to the Canberra Times, the head of NEAFL Eastern is leaving.
Anyone care to venture an opinion on whether he will be a big loss ? Hard to replace ? An inconvenience just as the season is beginning ?

To the casual Northern-Canberra-suburbs observer, his profile was pretty low but I accept that doesn't mean much in terms of his achievements.

How many people work at NEAFL Eastern GHQ anyway ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back