NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Syd Hills v Giants- First five min was terrible lots of turnovers by both teams, which was expected. Syd Hills then dominated the first quarter with buchannon dominating out of the centre. After the first quarter it was all the Giants winning by at least six goals. Dean Brigan was very strong but Sam Reid and Ugle were prob the best for the Giants. In no way were Syd Hills embarrassed they certainly competed for the whole game but the Giants fitness was clearly at a higher level in comparison to Syd Hills which I would hope so as the Giants are an AFL team effectively.. Not a great game to watch but it is good to watch live footy again. Also if buchannon plays all of the games he will easily take out the eastern b&f IMO

ainslie lost to north Albury by about 2 goals, qbn flogged northshore and not sure who belco played after the rep game but I think they won comfortably. also gws beat under 23s by about 50 points. hawks were supposed to play Sydney uni but did not go ahead
Hey Guys just wondering if any practices matches were getting played this weekend and if so any results??

ainslie lost to north Albury by about 2 goals, qbn flogged northshore and not sure who belco played after the rep game but I think they won comfortably. also gws beat under 23s by about 50 points. hawks were supposed to play Sydney uni but did not go ahead

apparently Harris had kicked 6.1 by quarter time.

apparently Harris had kicked 6.1 by quarter time.
Yeah 6 by quarter time and ended up with 9. Game was more than a little one sided with the end margin over the 150 point mark. Unfortunately it was a younger, more inexperienced team that came up from Euroa on Saturday than I think lots were expecting.

Hey Guys just wondering if any practices matches were getting played this weekend and if so any results??

Hills played wollongong from Sydney afl and won approx 198 to 6
Stubbs kicked 11 goals.. I didn't attend the game and this is all the info I have unfortunetly

just quietly. i'd like to know what whoever is writing the predictions is basing their ideas on?

and what is with clubs playing against terrible opposition in practice matches? Euroa, Narrandera, Nth Shore. Bit of a waste of time. I think the hit outs against the O & M clubs is a good idea. Could be interesting to set up a mini Canberra teams v O & M teams pre season fixture? Eastlake already play Albury, Ainslie play Lavington and Nth Albury, Pavese is down at Corowa now and could play against QBN.

I would also love to know who is writing the season predictions. they are very... interesting.

kind of agree with the easy practice games. it is good to have an easy game to try out game plan and structures before playing a harder apponent. qbn play hawks this Thursday so they've hard an easy game and now versing neafl team. hills had Wollongong and giants (easy/tough) , belco had who ever on the weekend but have also had elake (easy/tough) . ainslie flogged someone and had a tough game (easy/tough) and hawks had narrandera and qbn (easy/tough). personally I think it's important to have an easy game and then test yourself.

just quietly. i'd like to know what whoever is writing the predictions is basing their ideas on?

and what is with clubs playing against terrible opposition in practice matches? Euroa, Narrandera, Nth Shore. Bit of a waste of time. I think the hit outs against the O & M clubs is a good idea. Could be interesting to set up a mini Canberra teams v O & M teams pre season fixture? Eastlake already play Albury, Ainslie play Lavington and Nth Albury, Pavese is down at Corowa now and could play against QBN.

I would also love to know who is writing the season predictions. they are very... interesting.

kind of agree with the easy practice games. it is good to have an easy game to try out game plan and structures before playing a harder apponent. qbn play hawks this Thursday so they've hard an easy game and now versing neafl team. hills had Wollongong and giants (easy/tough) , belco had who ever on the weekend but have also had elake (easy/tough) . ainslie flogged someone and had a tough game (easy/tough) and hawks had narrandera and qbn (easy/tough). personally I think it's important to have an easy game and then test yourself.

I agree, bit of a waste of time for all four clubs involved. Wouldnt have thought sydney hills could take much away from that game after 190 win and even belco after 150 point win, except maybe a false sence of how well the clubs is traveling. they would have got more out of having an internal scratchy

It seems a bit shallow to take on weaker opponents at this time of year, to be sure. And i don't disagree with anything written on this forum about that. But clubs have their considered reasons for the decisions that they make.
What better role model to look to than the mighty Swans, (reigning premiers in case you haven't been paying attention. For years they have treated the pre-season comp with contempt, even attracting the chagrin of bigwigs at the AFL as I recall.
But two things have come out of that:-
(1) they have won two flags against the odds
(2) they have lost one of their gun defenders to a knee in a meaningless pre-season game.

Where's the evidence that heavy pre-season hitouts are the way to go ? It seems that pre-season hitouts (internal or weakly external) are the way to finetune the machine, even if it's not so helpful to the defensive side of things.

For me trials are about putting into place the things you have trained at over the preseason. Getting your structures right, zones, communication, set plays, trialing players in a few different positions etc

Its rarely about the opposition.

Of course you would like to see how it is performed under pressure but during preseason a lot of the training for this is under pressure and at times this is harder than a trial as your against a player who may want your spot

I agree with all of the above, while it would be nice to go out and play tough trial games every week to get a good guide as to how your team is shaping up in relity all you do is risk losing players. Playing easier teams allows you to trial new structures and players in different positions in a reasonably comfortable environment. The real test comes for most teams in the first few weeks.

Did you get out to watch the tigers and hawks game last night ABH?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was a typical practice match. tigers won easy. nothing to exciting really happened. hawks player stretchered off in a neck brace so hopefully it's nothing serious. best for tigers were probably Stevens and klemke. best for hawks were macleod and usuals (robbo, pocock). pete McGrath was playing, will be interesting to see how many games he plays this year.

I agree with all of the above, while it would be nice to go out and play tough trial games every week to get a good guide as to how your team is shaping up in relity all you do is risk losing players. Playing easier teams allows you to trial new structures and players in different positions in a reasonably comfortable environment. The real test comes for most teams in the first few weeks.

Did you get out to watch the tigers and hawks game last night ABH?

Looking at it from the weaker teams perspective they probably welcome a tough opposition to see how their structures and players react to Quailty opposition.....althoughin saying that only kicking 3-4 goals may be a bit concerning for them...but me personally I'd welcome playing a NEAFL side, look at hills eagles before the were admitted to the NEAFL they played the swans 2 years in a row and got absolutely belted and now look at them made NEAFL finals in their first year..

Hey everyone how's everyone going?
Just thought I'd flick the question out there I saw the Swans and the Sydney Hills Eagles had a practice match on the weekend did anyone get out to see the game. If so what players played well for the Eagles and how was the quality of the game?

Again we are forced to wonder who writes the predictions for the Eastern NEAFL website - SydUni with all that they have gained in the off season are still predicted to finish second bottom !
If I wasn't so against gambling on footy matches then I'd like to have a lazy few dollars with the author ! He must be forseeing fantastic improvements across the board if SydUni can still only manage second bottom.

Again we are forced to wonder who writes the predictions for the Eastern NEAFL website - SydUni with all that they have gained in the off season are still predicted to finish second bottom !
If I wasn't so against gambling on footy matches then I'd like to have a lazy few dollars with the author ! He must be forseeing fantastic improvements across the board if SydUni can still only manage second bottom.

Crazy predictions for mine.

Looks like he is predicting Tigers going back to back which is a tough call to make considering they have lost quite a few defenders or Hills to win it unless he has done them.

Anyone want to dig back and list the predictions?

Crazy predictions for mine.

Looks like he is predicting Tigers going back to back which is a tough call to make considering they have lost quite a few defenders or Hills to win it unless he has done them.

Anyone want to dig back and list the predictions?
There's a smart ass on every forum, and I think I must be the one for this forum....

I've done the research as requested......

Belconnen and Eagles BOTH to finish fourth (wow, that will be controversial !!), no-one at fifth, so that leaves Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong. Presumably top and bottom.

Much as I like your team, ABH, I couldn't be too confident of them going back-to-back in a comp that is so unpredictable and is developing and changing so fast. And the author doesn't seem to be especially knowledgable anyway.
As Professor Manning Clark said (hey, a prominent Canberra dweller !!), if you don't like my version of history then write your own !
I'm tipping Swans to win, SydUni for the final five

PS - if you agree with my selections then we can send up some puffs of white smoke over Manuka to show that we have all agreed on the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back