NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Sam Gilbert is a good example of that age group. The state game for u21's I think is a great initiative.
It's a big year for Qld with the state game v South Australia. Am happy to hear your guys thoughts on this yrs state game and how it may improve again. Obviously has a lot to do with the calibre of player running around in the Neafl this season. I have read in the past that people think the state team is picked more on reputation than players in form at the time. Having been involved in the state team a bit over the yrs, I will tell you that there are guys that have represented the state extremely well. Weather in form or not they will be involved more so cause they tend to lift and know what's expected come the state game. The time put into the opposition by the coaches namely Cotts, Marty king, Funky Miller etc in the lead up to the WA game was of extreme importance. Numerous trips to Perth to watch Wafl games, trips around to watch Wafl teams play foxtel cup games all helped in the prep for a game that was one more centre clearance away from a maroon victory.
Another question, will Cotts coach again. A busy year for the guy who is currently on leave from Southport and coaching St Mary's in Darwin. I am sure playing against SA will light the fire to go again. The best feel coach I have ever had the pleasure to be involved with. A master.
If he chooses not to, for me it's a easy choice. Nathan Clarke if he wants it should be the man. Fresh out of the system and a Qlder as well. A terrific coach who creates a wonderful environment for players and staff. Very important for a state program.
Just a few of my thoughts lads
With your overall playing record and current coaching success you could quite well take over from Cotter. Good call Nutta though.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure who you are Dog but agree with Chikka re a good call with Clarkey. Just think it is incredibly optimistic for development ppl in Qld to think that our young guys are anywhere near the standard of our southern counterparts at the same age. The best chance of getting multiple blokes drafted (bc we have fantastic athletes in the system whether they come from a footy background or another sport later in their teens, just need a bit more time to develop) imo is to provide support and opportunities for guys when they are 19/20/21. What is stopping the Academies having guys in their programs post U18's? tbh makes more sense than inviting kids when they are 12. They stay under the observation of Lions/Suns people with the infrastructure that goes with this, U-21 game is a great idea (the exact age I reckon I would be targeting even over U18 system Aust wide), and it gives everyone a bit more opportunity to see a young man playing footy, not a kid. No reason why they can't play with their home club which i think is important for a variety of reasons - will show a players independence, great for the NEAFL itself and really good for the young blokes at said club to see this kid striving hard to make it. Think you could also have a sister club arrangement with a VFL/SANFL team but the kid still has a link to a Qld person. Reckon i could guarantee heaps more kids would be drafted with a system something like this and everyone would be happy...:) Take out the emergence of the Suns / Lions, not alot of Qld kids have been picked up in the last 15 years in reality - I would suggest 3-4x the number in the 15 years prior (81-95) with only 12 teams in the main and certainly the quality was extremely high with blokes like Dunstall, Crosisca, Dunnell, G.Shaw, etc Something has to change imo and it has to start with the mindset of where we think our kids actually are at compared to other boys around Aust..

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit harsh on qld drafting I reckon. Sure this year wasn't a great result but there have been some gems over the last 10 years come out of the system, some that are in the top bracket of the league right now.
I agree though the talent/development programs probably need to be looked at I think there are definitely some more inovative ways AFLQ could get more out of its kids and mature aged recruits.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit harsh on qld drafting I reckon. Sure this year wasn't a great result but there have been some gems over the last 10 years come out of the system, some that are in the top bracket of the league right now.
I agree though the talent/development programs probably need to be looked at I think there are definitely some more inovative ways AFLQ could get more out of its kids and mature aged recruits.

On another subject... Damien Cupido, whom has kicked 96 goals in 12 games up in Darwin so far (NTFL) .. outstanding performance in a good quality comp. Rumours flying all about as to who will he play for in season 2013 proper.For starters it was only a few weeks ago that a Southport poster on this forum said The Sharks had secured him.... then Akermanis claims North Albury are a huge chance to secure him.... then The Thunder claim that he has given a verbal committment to them for 2013..... and now ive just heard that MT Evelyn ( vic metro), where he played in 2012 has him under contract for 2013 and have only released him on match permits to play in the NTFL over summer... they fully expect him to return . Will be interesting to see where he ends up hey.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And that contract with Mt.Evelyn in a terrible football comp would be worth what...?? He should play NEAFL tbh - far too good to play anywhere else but he is a head case so who knows. If he plays for the Thunder then I reckon they could go close to winning the comp over one of the AFL sides IMO. He's that good when on.

Peanut, just think relative to when Qld players were being recruited / drafted in the 80's early 90's plus the number of VFL/AFL sides around in this period without concessional draft picks etc for being local boys, that I'm not sure the record is anything to write home about in the last 15 years. Agree, some ripper kids have come from Qld but invariably they have come with a background already in the sport from interstate. They arrive as young teenagers or earlier with a mountain of footy playing under their belt already from 3-12yrs of age. Their skills and love for the game is inbred already. The challenge is to get kids who don't have this background (the large majority tbh in Qld) and find a way of getting them into the AFL. Not having a go at you here but what players can you name that are born and bred Qldrs that are in the top 20% of AFL footballers currently? I am struggling to find too many. Kurt Tippett is probably one.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
On another subject... Damien Cupido, whom has kicked 96 goals in 12 games up in Darwin so far (NTFL) .. outstanding performance in a good quality comp. Rumours flying all about as to who will he play for in season 2013 proper.For starters it was only a few weeks ago that a Southport poster on this forum said The Sharks had secured him.... then Akermanis claims North Albury are a huge chance to secure him.... then The Thunder claim that he has given a verbal committment to them for 2013..... and now ive just heard that MT Evelyn ( vic metro), where he played in 2012 has him under contract for 2013 and have only released him on match permits to play in the NTFL over summer... they fully expect him to return . Will be interesting to see where he ends up hey.

Also, has anyone got news on Jay Neagle. Since his fathers passing, no one seems to know of his footballing plans for 2013. Word is, he will not be coming back to Broadbeach and there are no indications of him signing down in the Albury area where his father lived and coached a minor league club.So much talent , yet he was not that committed at Broadbeach last season with training and attitude, seemed to have the mentality problem of being delisted by the Bombers , not being able to live up to his fathers record at that club.Could be wrong, just a pity if he decides to give the game away at 24 years of age.He has so much to offer a club not just for his playing ability but his experience s at AFL level where this knowledge could be passed onto potential 17/18 year olds.

Bigdaddy92

Debutant
Feb 3, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
And that contract with Mt.Evelyn in a terrible football comp would be worth what...?? He should play NEAFL tbh - far too good to play anywhere else but he is a head case so who knows. If he plays for the Thunder then I reckon they could go close to winning the comp over one of the AFL sides IMO. He's that good when on.

Peanut, just think relative to when Qld players were being recruited / drafted in the 80's early 90's plus the number of VFL/AFL sides around in this period without concessional draft picks etc for being local boys, that I'm not sure the record is anything to write home about in the last 15 years. Agree, some ripper kids have come from Qld but invariably they have come with a background already in the sport from interstate. They arrive as young teenagers or earlier with a mountain of footy playing under their belt already from 3-12yrs of age. Their skills and love for the game is inbred already. The challenge is to get kids who don't have this background (the large majority tbh in Qld) and find a way of getting them into the AFL. Not having a go at you here but what players can you name that are born and bred Qldrs that are in the top 20% of AFL footballers currently? I am struggling to find too many. Kurt Tippett is probably one.

I'll have a go IMO
David Armitage, Dayne Beams, Courtney Dempsey, Brendan Whitecross, Andrew Raines tagging role & Josh Drummond was last year. They would be up there! Only my opinion

kwhit

Team Captain
Mar 17, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll have a go IMO
David Armitage, Dayne Beams, Courtney Dempsey, Brendan Whitecross, Andrew Raines tagging role & Josh Drummond was last year. They would be up there! Only my opinion

Ben Hudson, Shaun Hamptson, Michael Osborne, Ricky Pettard??

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep fair enough BD - reckon its an interesting exercise anyway. Good book I've just read about the evolution of the Suns called "House of the Rising Suns" by Matt Webber. Makes a few good points in there about the difficulties of convincing Qld kids to stick at what i reckon is arguably the toughest sport in the world to play. Our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness - the laid back lifestyle!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think I said top 20% guys...;) At this stage reckon Beams hits the money, Drummo might have if he was ever fit enough for long enough, the others, not sure! Also it is interesting that many of the blokes named have moved i/state as kids from Tassie or Vic. You could argue that footy was in their DNA from an early age!

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure who you are Dog but agree with Chikka re a good call with Clarkey. Just think it is incredibly optimistic for development ppl in Qld to think that our young guys are anywhere near the standard of our southern counterparts at the same age. The best chance of getting multiple blokes drafted (bc we have fantastic athletes in the system whether they come from a footy background or another sport later in their teens, just need a bit more time to develop) imo is to provide support and opportunities for guys when they are 19/20/21. What is stopping the Academies having guys in their programs post U18's? tbh makes more sense than inviting kids when they are 12. They stay under the observation of Lions/Suns people with the infrastructure that goes with this, U-21 game is a great idea (the exact age I reckon I would be targeting even over U18 system Aust wide), and it gives everyone a bit more opportunity to see a young man playing footy, not a kid. No reason why they can't play with their home club which i think is important for a variety of reasons - will show a players independence, great for the NEAFL itself and really good for the young blokes at said club to see this kid striving hard to make it. Think you could also have a sister club arrangement with a VFL/SANFL team but the kid still has a link to a Qld person. Reckon i could guarantee heaps more kids would be drafted with a system something like this and everyone would be happy...:) Take out the emergence of the Suns / Lions, not alot of Qld kids have been picked up in the last 15 years in reality - I would suggest 3-4x the number in the 15 years prior (81-95) with only 12 teams in the main and certainly the quality was extremely high with blokes like Dunstall, Crosisca, Dunnell, G.Shaw, etc Something has to change imo and it has to start with the mindset of where we think our kids actually are at compared to other boys around Aust..
I can gurantee you the people involved in the academies are well aware of where our kids sit in relation to the stronger states. At the lions the talent id/ recruiting staff are heavily involved in the day to day workings of the current lions 18's academies. It's what happens then once the games v suns are done and the state squad is handed over. It seems to go back in a time warp. Old style Qld bash and crash kick it down the line no run no spread type football. Aflq are hell bent on winning games at the nationals. It's the wrong mentality.
This yr I believe the suns and lions will each have a coach of some sort weather it is Jason Tourney or Scott Borlace on the state coaching panel which will give them a clearer idea of what happens to the kids when there in the state team.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can gurantee you the people involved in the academies are well aware of where our kids sit in relation to the stronger states. At the lions the talent id/ recruiting staff are heavily involved in the day to day workings of the current lions 18's academies. It's what happens then once the games v suns are done and the state squad is handed over. It seems to go back in a time warp. Old style Qld bash and crash kick it down the line no run no spread type football. Aflq are hell bent on winning games at the nationals. It's the wrong mentality.
This yr I believe the suns and lions will each have a coach of some sort weather it is Jason Tourney or Scott Borlace on the state coaching panel which will give them a clearer idea of what happens to the kids when there in the state team.

Yeah totally agree with this but then it is probably the best way for Qld to compete. When you know you are out classed then revert the game to a dog fight - whether it is the best way for prospective draftees to stand out is another thing! Tough one bc you have coaches with vested interests in being competitive (and rightly so) and development staff that want to see a more modern approach taken irrespective of whether that causes a blow out or not. Having a bloke from both Suns / Lions on the coaching panel makes alot of sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah totally agree with this but then it is probably the best way for Qld to compete. When you know you are out classed then revert the game to a dog fight - whether it is the best way for prospective draftees to stand out is another thing! Tough one bc you have coaches with vested interests in being competitive (and rightly so) and development staff that want to see a more modern approach taken irrespective of whether that causes a blow out or not. Having a bloke from both Suns / Lions on the coaching panel makes alot of sense.
Agree smy 1305.
also , a youngster from the academy that returns to say the NEAFL, is not subjected to old qld crash bang , straight up the ground footy as quoted by Dogwarna in the prior post. The standard of the NEAFL is very good and the game plans by each club are all about spread etc etc,.. following suit to the playing game plans of the AFL.IMO,these youngsters coming back into the NEAFL, after academy duties, gain great experience at this level.
And face it , a majority of these youngsters are simply not good enough to make the big time and this applies all over the country, same scenario occurs in the VFL, SANFL,WAFL .We must take into account that whilst aussie rules in QLD has developed immensely over the past 10 years, it has not got the grassroots of the game ( and never will) compared to Victoria, SA and WA and even Tasmania.... U all know that aussie rules is an institution in these states, it becomes a part of their lives, thus kids do nothing but play aussie rules..... up here, we still battle against rugby league , rugby union and to a smaller extent, soccer and surf comps .Also ,the floating population that occurs in QLD, ( especially on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast) does not help the wanted and required growth of aussie rules in QLD. Thus , we should admire and respect any QLD local that makes the big time.

blue bagger

Draftee
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone enlighten me on where all Mt Gravatt's players have gone?
Gilliland
Smith
Vearing (retired?)
Lake
Evans
Bernasconi

Haven't heard of these players signing at other clubs? And what happened at Mounties for the exodus? That is a fair amount of senior players to lose. They also lost Proud mid season. Looks like a tough year ahead.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone enlighten me on where all Mt Gravatt's players have gone?
Gilliland
Smith
Vearing (retired?)
Lake
Evans
Bernasconi

Haven't heard of these players signing at other clubs? And what happened at Mounties for the exodus? That is a fair amount of senior players to lose. They also lost Proud mid season. Looks like a tough year ahead.
Gilliand travelling.
Smith Darwin
Lake Morningside
Evans knee reco recovery

blue bagger

Draftee
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Gilliand travelling.
Smith Darwin
Lake Morningside
Evans knee reco recovery

Thanks Chikka.

How long ago did Evans do his knee would be over 12 months now wouldn't it?
No reports of Smith playing with thunder so is he another retiree?
Lake moved to Morningside? When was this announced?

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Smith left Vultures b4 seasons end as Missus up their. Labradors Tom Fields off to Sth Adel. Aspleys Alie Alie may stay home in WA. Clubs haven't revealed new signings.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it's more than likely aliir aliir is staying in perth. his mum is there and i think he isn't interested in playing footy any more

Pity Alir Alir not sticking with it, he had some x factor no doubt.

About the discussion regarding Qld draftees etc. I actually believe we do pretty well when you consider all factors:

1. population 1/3 of Vic
2. League and union being the dominant sports especially in schools (not long ago it was Gayfl and you got teased at school if you followed the AFL).
3. Climate: A big factor. A lot of good young athletes are attracted to swimming, surflifesaving and surfing or even golf/tennis.
4. History and competition set up: The Lions and Suns are both relatively new and in comparision there are 10-100 year old clubs.
5. Finance: Here on the Gold Coast the SLSC get the love from government, and with rugby union being well entrenched in the private schools, and league being the biggest game in town a lot of the businesses and people with cash support those codes.
6. Coaching and Admin: Local clubs have difficulty attracting good coaches, volunteers and administrators- most of the best talent in these areas are linked with other sports.

And by the way its crap to say that the likes of Petterd and Riewoldt are not Qlders because they were born down south, they still grew up and were drafted from here. Given all that theres been a consistent flow of draftees. 12 months ago Morningside had 3 in one year- Yagmoor Allen and Bell, punching well above their weight. Broadbeach have had one go 3 years running-Wilkinson,Zorko, Boston and a couple more good young ones a chance in the next year or 2.

I also disagree with Qld being obsessed with winning at the under 18 championships- Browning especially is keen on the "athlete" rather than the "footballer". We regularly send down guys that are pretty new to the game based on athletic ability and potential rather than the best footballers. This strategy has proven to be relatively successful assisting the likes of Tippett,Renouf, Hale and Merrett getting drafted and all going on to have good careers. All came from other sports.

Agreed 2012 was a poor year for Qld draftees but I am confident the future will be brighter, and dont forget in 2006 something like 18 Qlders entered the AFL through main and rookie draft.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi All,
Massive news re Lions coach will be interestinging to see who replaces Clarke any tips? J Feilds?
Doggywarna - i think your wrong about the 18s being hell bent on winning, game style i believe was built on free flowing football. if they were to follow afl trends they wouldve have had a more defencive mindset. one issue recruiters have with qld kids is there ability to defend? should this be taught at academy? having a dig at state coaching group is unwarranted, previous coaching groups won bugger all games and faced scrutiny about not trying to win. i believe that if you represent your state you try to win, after watching qld v wa dvd i did notice wa try to defend their lead?? great win part qld history!! but dogwarna love your posts!!! mostly educated
Vultures - massive player exodus and little in? except for a couple of west magpies boys that will be reasonable but wont have any real influence over a NEAFL team. Will play PHC within 2 years if still around
On the subject of PHC ( i know this isnt the correct forum) it is a great tribal league same as the old QAFL the NEAFL is now just a development comp for the AFL which is fine but it isnt the comp it was with tradition and passion. PBC have tried to recruit the world will be up there.... maggies have lost a few one who is very handy but have got back a few from neafl will get more back the year after. maloney will be great at roos, will n clarke and drummo play a cameo there? as will grange with trewella, noosa good, i just hope these traditional clubs foster there locals thats what makes them great!!
Aspley - great appointment of Blair LET him coach (did like evans though)
Siders - will crack in! only won one game in there division last year is rodgers up to it?
Lab - will struggle
BB - lost there best player boston and eagle, poyas,neagle but should get JD back?
Top 5
NT
Redland
Sharks
Lions
Sunnies
sorry about the long post been os for 3 months.............

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi All,
Massive news re Lions coach will be interestinging to see who replaces Clarke any tips? J Feilds?
Doggywarna - i think your wrong about the 18s being hell bent on winning, game style i believe was built on free flowing football. if they were to follow afl trends they wouldve have had a more defencive mindset. one issue recruiters have with qld kids is there ability to defend? should this be taught at academy? having a dig at state coaching group is unwarranted, previous coaching groups won bugger all games and faced scrutiny about not trying to win. i believe that if you represent your state you try to win, after watching qld v wa dvd i did notice wa try to defend their lead?? great win part qld history!! but dogwarna love your posts!!! mostly educated
Vultures - massive player exodus and little in? except for a couple of west magpies boys that will be reasonable but wont have any real influence over a NEAFL team. Will play PHC within 2 years if still around
On the subject of PHC ( i know this isnt the correct forum) it is a great tribal league same as the old QAFL the NEAFL is now just a development comp for the AFL which is fine but it isnt the comp it was with tradition and passion. PBC have tried to recruit the world will be up there.... maggies have lost a few one who is very handy but have got back a few from neafl will get more back the year after. maloney will be great at roos, will n clarke and drummo play a cameo there? as will grange with trewella, noosa good, i just hope these traditional clubs foster there locals thats what makes them great!!
Siders - will crack in! only won one game in there division last year is rodgers up to it?
Lab - will struggle
BB - lost there best player boston and eagle, poyas,neagle but should get JD back?
Top 5
NT
Redland
Sharks
Lions
Sunnies
simon black was born in mt isa wayne carey in nsw and mal michael in png pull your head in tip rats!

footymaad

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Morningside Panthers
Pity Alir Alir not sticking with it, he had some x factor no doubt.

About the discussion regarding Qld draftees etc. I actually believe we do pretty well when you consider all factors:

1. population 1/3 of Vic
2. League and union being the dominant sports especially in schools (not long ago it was Gayfl and you got teased at school if you followed the AFL).
3. Climate: A big factor. A lot of good young athletes are attracted to swimming, surflifesaving and surfing or even golf/tennis.
4. History and competition set up: The Lions and Suns are both relatively new and in comparision there are 10-100 year old clubs.
5. Finance: Here on the Gold Coast the SLSC get the love from government, and with rugby union being well entrenched in the private schools, and league being the biggest game in town a lot of the businesses and people with cash support those codes.
6. Coaching and Admin: Local clubs have difficulty attracting good coaches, volunteers and administrators- most of the best talent in these areas are linked with other sports.

And by the way its crap to say that the likes of Petterd and Riewoldt are not Qlders because they were born down south, they still grew up and were drafted from here. Given all that theres been a consistent flow of draftees. 12 months ago Morningside had 3 in one year- Yagmoor Allen and Bell, punching well above their weight. Broadbeach have had one go 3 years running-Wilkinson,Zorko, Boston and a couple more good young ones a chance in the next year or 2.

I also disagree with Qld being obsessed with winning at the under 18 championships- Browning especially is keen on the "athlete" rather than the "footballer". We regularly send down guys that are pretty new to the game based on athletic ability and potential rather than the best footballers. This strategy has proven to be relatively successful assisting the likes of Tippett,Renouf, Hale and Merrett getting drafted and all going on to have good careers. All came from other sports.

Agreed 2012 was a poor year for Qld draftees but I am confident the future will be brighter, and dont forget in 2006 something like 18 Qlders entered the AFL through main and rookie draft.

Have to agree with most of this - Qld under 18 team probably drawn from about the same number of players as one TAC cup team, and realistically are drawing on a reduced talent pool - many other sports / activities luring potential players away from AFL - make your private schools first 15 and get all the glory at school - make the state 18's AFL team in year 12 and you will be lucky to get mentioned in school newsletter in fine print on the last page - seen it happen. So to get 2 - 4 players drafted or rookied each year is probably about right. Challenge is to get a couple more , who are less developed in a footy sense at 18, drafted after playing a couple of years in the NEAFL. Had Bell and Oxley last 2 years so this is happening occasionally, and really wouldn't expect more than a couple each year when competing for spots against VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

Re state 18's personally think it a bit unreasonable to criticize this years team approach. Team have done very poorly last few yrs - one criticism was selecting too many "athletes" over footballers, another that aim was just to show off a few players to get them drafted, not play as a team. And can't expect borderline draft chances to get a look in if in a Div 2 team who loose most games

So this year tried to change it - did all preseason with Academies, picked predominantly footballers first and not multiple athletes / rookies, worked on a team ethos to ensure they were actually competitive, and did lots of homework on opposition teams. Wanted to Be competitive with Div 1 WA so devised a game style to try to shut down their creative players. Sure wet helped, but Qld had 3 key players injured in first qtr so to win was great effort. And got Qld program some grudging respect.

Sure primary aim of under 18's is to get a few Qld boys drafted, but to get some respect for footy in Qld a worthwhile goal at same time - think 3 wins from 5 games and one close loss was great effort for team lacking many real stars. If a few of this years 17's benefit from this year and it increases their performance and therefore draft chances for next year, this is a success as well - eg Tickner, Conway, etc

Personally I'm keen to see how many of this years 18's team go in NEAFL this year - hope a few really develop over next couple of years

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi All,
Lab - will struggle
Top 5
NT
Redland
Sharks
Lions
Sunnies
I suppose we agree to disagree on the under 18 game plan!! At the lions academy, Learning to defend first is the top priority at this stage of the pre season, the ability to spread and move from stoppages is also high in the areas of learning. Aggression at each other, learning to train at high intensity under fatigue, understanding that these kids are not just fighting against 2 other wingman or ruckman etc at the lions but there is another half dozen down the road that there up against as well.
I heard today that not a lot of applicants for the development coach role at the lions but around the 70 mark for the welfare position. It closed today so you would think a decision may be made within a fortnight or so.
Some interesting names have been bought up, John Blair being the main one. Jarred Field interesting one, I thought he give it away ( coaching ) for family reasons. To be honest I have no idea!!!!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I suppose we agree to disagree on the under 18 game plan!! At the lions academy, Learning to defend first is the top priority at this stage of the pre season, the ability to spread and move from stoppages is also high in the areas of learning. Aggression at each other, learning to train at high intensity under fatigue, understanding that these kids are not just fighting against 2 other wingman or ruckman etc at the lions but there is another half dozen down the road that there up against as well.
I heard today that not a lot of applicants for the development coach role at the lions but around the 70 mark for the welfare position. It closed today so you would think a decision may be made within a fortnight or so.
Some interesting names have been bought up, John Blair being the main one. Jarred Field inter
esting one, I thought he give it away ( coaching ) for family reasons. To be honest I have no idea!!!!

So Dogwarna, if Blair got the job, it means he will have to abandon his newly appointed position as coach of Aspley. Got to be some complications there hey.Jarred Field surprisely departed Broadbeach as the development coach there for the past 2 seasons with no where to go.......maybe , reading between the lines, he may well be the one that gets the job at the Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back