NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
So Dogwarna, if Blair got the job, it means he will have to abandon his newly appointed position as coach of Aspley. Got to be some complications there hey.Jarred Field surprisely departed Broadbeach as the development coach there for the past 2 seasons with no where to go.......maybe , reading between the lines, he may well be the one that gets the job at the Lions.
Fields has gone back to Labrador as CDM.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
So Dogwarna, if Blair got the job, it means he will have to abandon his newly appointed position as coach of Aspley. Got to be some complications there hey.Jarred Field surprisely departed Broadbeach as the development coach there for the past 2 seasons with no where to go.......maybe , reading between the lines, he may well be the one that gets the job at the Lions.
Aspley shouldn't stand in the way If Blairy took over the role at Lions. Sure, they would feel abandoned, but pretty sure Payney felt abandoned when his highly paid promised job didn't eventuate start of last year.

Roadkill

Debutant
Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hi All,
Massive news re Lions coach will be interestinging to see who replaces Clarke any tips? J Feilds?
Doggywarna - i think your wrong about the 18s being hell bent on winning, game style i believe was built on free flowing football. if they were to follow afl trends they wouldve have had a more defencive mindset. one issue recruiters have with qld kids is there ability to defend? should this be taught at academy? having a dig at state coaching group is unwarranted, previous coaching groups won bugger all games and faced scrutiny about not trying to win. i believe that if you represent your state you try to win, after watching qld v wa dvd i did notice wa try to defend their lead?? great win part qld history!! but dogwarna love your posts!!! mostly educated
Vultures - massive player exodus and little in? except for a couple of west magpies boys that will be reasonable but wont have any real influence over a NEAFL team. Will play PHC within 2 years if still around
On the subject of PHC ( i know this isnt the correct forum) it is a great tribal league same as the old QAFL the NEAFL is now just a development comp for the AFL which is fine but it isnt the comp it was with tradition and passion. PBC have tried to recruit the world will be up there.... maggies have lost a few one who is very handy but have got back a few from neafl will get more back the year after. maloney will be great at roos, will n clarke and drummo play a cameo there? as will grange with trewella, noosa good, i just hope these traditional clubs foster there locals thats what makes them great!!
Aspley - great appointment of Blair LET him coach (did like evans though)
Siders - will crack in! only won one game in there division last year is rodgers up to it?
Lab - will struggle
BB - lost there best player boston and eagle, poyas,neagle but should get JD back?
Top 5
NT
Redland
Sharks
Lions
Sunnies
sorry about the long post been os for 3 months.............

Drummond is now on North Melbourne's coaching staff

Roadkill

Debutant
Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Aspley shouldn't stand in the way If Blairy took over the role at Lions. Sure, they would feel abandoned, but pretty sure Payney felt abandoned when his highly paid promised job didn't eventuate start of last year.[/

Contracts arent worth the paper there written on.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely Blair, widely considered the best coach in Qld, despite his age, would be a very good chance?

TBH think the point is being missed here re comments on the U18's and drafting. Not sure anyone is arguing that Qld should have had more boys drafted from Qld as U18's - like a few have said the numbers are probably about right, considering our population and interest in the sport, if not over achieving some years (2006 I think it was) but saying this I have listened to some in high places bemoan the fact that so few boys were drafted this year and we need to take steps to rectify this. Obviously a stack of money is spent in this state on development (which certainly goes a long way to counteract the argument that we have to compete with other codes - listen to any person from RL/RU and they just pull their hair out with the money and structure AFL have to spend on "recruiting" kids to he code) and the AFL are looking for a return on investment which puts pressure on those at the coal face. The new draw is supposed to make a difference apparently with double header games so talent scouts can get to see more boys - I would say this is totally irrelevant to whether it will mean more boys get drafted. Think there are better ways to achieve this. If a club is going to invest heavily (probably $300K+ / draftee I would suggest) by drafting a kid then they will travel the 2hrs to get here even if it is for just one player. And its not like we don't have 2 clubs in the vicinity either who could pick kids up if they felt they were better than a kid in Hobart! WA only had one boy drafted and I'm sure scouts went to WA during the course of the year...

Not critical of the U18 coaches or Mark Browning (think he has done a sterling job tbh in a tough region of Australia) at all over the past decade - reckon its a tough job getting the balance. Much easier to coach players who have grown up since birth with a footy background and have them play a brand of footy that is of an AFL standard. But I think any coach at this level would prefer to go out there with a competitive ugly performance rather than an uncompetitive pretty one. Human nature says this. How that ends up for potential draftees I'm not sure. Certainly WA must be really doing some soul searching with only ONE boy drafted - that would be unheard of. I think next years group potentially should have a few more drafted as they have always been a very good group but the gist of my original comments is that it really should not matter if they do - to me its more about the support shown to those who aren't drafted but just need more time for a variety of reasons. If this is done then maybe we will have more mature age draftees which to my mind is where our real chance is to get some traction. A bloke like Zorko (who only had one club chase him really) could now be a 5-8 year player and I would say should have been the Rising Star this year if the rules had allowed it. To my mind the best debut player in the comp. Soon enough AFL clubs will get the thought that even drafting a guy at 22yrs rather than 18yrs still allows a bloody good football career to be carved out! Good discussion though and interesting to hear some of the thoughts from ppl here that sound like they have been involved in some capacity at development level.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely Blair, widely considered the best coach in Qld, despite his age, would be a very good chance?

TBH think the point is being missed here re comments on the U18's and drafting. Not sure anyone is arguing that Qld should have had more boys drafted from Qld as U18's - like a few have said the numbers are probably about right, considering our population and interest in the sport, if not over achieving some years (2006 I think it was) but saying this I have listened to some in high places bemoan the fact that so few boys were drafted this year and we need to take steps to rectify this. Obviously a stack of money is spent in this state on development (which certainly goes a long way to counteract the argument that we have to compete with other codes - listen to any person from RL/RU and they just pull their hair out with the money and structure AFL have to spend on "recruiting" kids to he code) and the AFL are looking for a return on investment which puts pressure on those at the coal face. The new draw is supposed to make a difference apparently with double header games so talent scouts can get to see more boys - I would say this is totally irrelevant to whether it will mean more boys get drafted. Think there are better ways to achieve this. If a club is going to invest heavily (probably $300K+ / draftee I would suggest) by drafting a kid then they will travel the 2hrs to get here even if it is for just one player. And its not like we don't have 2 clubs in the vicinity either who could pick kids up if they felt they were better than a kid in Hobart! WA only had one boy drafted and I'm sure scouts went to WA during the course of the year...

Not critical of the U18 coaches or Mark Browning (think he has done a sterling job tbh in a tough region of Australia) at all over the past decade - reckon its a tough job getting the balance. Much easier to coach players who have grown up since birth with a footy background and have them play a brand of footy that is of an AFL standard. But I think any coach at this level would prefer to go out there with a competitive ugly performance rather than an uncompetitive pretty one. Human nature says this. How that ends up for potential draftees I'm not sure. Certainly WA must be really doing some soul searching with only ONE boy drafted - that would be unheard of. I think next years group potentially should have a few more drafted as they have always been a very good group but the gist of my original comments is that it really should not matter if they do - to me its more about the support shown to those who aren't drafted but just need more time for a variety of reasons. If this is done then maybe we will have more mature age draftees which to my mind is where our real chance is to get some traction. A bloke like Zorko (who only had one club chase him really) could now be a 5-8 year player and I would say should have been the Rising Star this year if the rules had allowed it. To my mind the best debut player in the comp. Soon enough AFL clubs will get the thought that even drafting a guy at 22yrs rather than 18yrs still allows a bloody good football career to be carved out! Good discussion though and interesting to hear some of the thoughts from ppl here that sound like they have been involved in some capacity at development level.
Well said.
I don't think there is any shame in being a 200 game Neafl player. Play state footy along the way, hopefully play in a final or 2. I am a very interested to see our young guys mix it at Neafl level. Especially before the 18's champs start. Post champs a lot of the kids are knackered and barely get to the end of the yr. Alot of good man management required there.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In relation to Blairy and the development job, he would be a fantastic applicant, a coach who has coached through 3 decades, has had to adjust to the different trends of the game, provides a fantastic culture and is a all round ripping bloke.
On the flip side this job is not just to coach the Neafl team. You are part of the lions coaching group, 70-80 hrs a week, high pressure position, 6-7 days a week through the season. Does the old fella want this at this time!!! Knowing Blairy... Absolutely!!!

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You can add a few more to that list of Vulture exits from what I've heard.

Just wouldn't have though Blair wouldn't fit the mould of a development coach for a predominantly U20 side in the AFL system? More about mentoring and less about coaching at that level? Good luck to him if he gets it would leave the Hornets in a massive hole at a tricky stage of the pre-season. That goes for any club that could potentially lose a coach at this stage.
Hearing lots of good things about the Bombers think they could be in for a big season. Similarly think Sharks could be loading up. Interesting to hear DW talk up Morningsides chances would have thought they were a LONG way back after last seasons performances and their best few players in the twilights of their careers.

Does anyone know about this years praccy matches? Will they be all out at yeronga again?

neafl fan

Draftee
Mar 24, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Note that Sharks have cleaned out the profiles of senior players on their website in the past few days. Crawford, Seddon, Davis, Thurlow, Russell all missing as noted in other posts.
Big surprises though that Flagg and Mallan don't appear - they would be big losses if they have gone - particularly Mallan who is a hard nut! Can't really see Blairy being that interested in the Lions job. Great coach who has done it all - has nothing to prove and not a lot to gain!

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Geez guys,
its mid January and the news on what clubs have lost players and recruited players is very limited for this time of year. Is it just that the clubs are keeping things close to their chest , or is it the case that not much change is happening.... Either way, I guess we will see player movement once clearences are reported.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goalkicker11

All Australian
Feb 14, 2007
house
AFL Club
Essendon
Goalkicker11,
so if not Thunder, have u got any word of where he may possibly go to ?Theres been plenty of rumours hey... like North Albury, Southport, Mt.Evelyn, Baldwin etc.
No idea about other clubs, but spoke to some people up in darwin and they said he wouldn't be signed, and I just read it on the nt news website, so that confirmed what I was told.

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would be very surprised if anyone was interested in taking on Damiens baggage. That being said he certainly can play.
Apparently siders getting huge numbers on track. Where are they coming from? Any quality?

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would be very surprised if anyone was interested in taking on Damiens baggage. That being said he certainly can play.
Apparently siders getting huge numbers on track. Where are they coming from? Any quality?

Peanut01,
agree about his baggage,word from Darwin reports he is the fittest he has been since his AFL days and fully focussed on his footy. Fact is, he has kicked 102 goals in 13 games so far in the NTFL this season, and this comp is not a minor league... thats nearly 8 goals a game... Simply put, he is to good at NTFL level, and if keeps fit and focussed will be a star player in the NEAFL, OVENS AND MURRAY or wherever he may end up playing this season.But then again, can he and does he want to maintain this fitness and dedication levels ?

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Peanut01,
agree about his baggage,word from Darwin reports he is the fittest he has been since his AFL days and fully focussed on his footy. Fact is, he has kicked 102 goals in 13 games so far in the NTFL this season, and this comp is not a minor league... thats nearly 8 goals a game... Simply put, he is to good at NTFL level, and if keeps fit and focussed will be a star player in the NEAFL, OVENS AND MURRAY or wherever he may end up playing this season.But then again, can he and does he want to maintain this fitness and dedication levels

On Morningside,
I have been told they have made some sort of alliance with the Wynnum Vikings... I beleive a lot of the Wynnum players have been participating in pre season training with the Panthers.So that may explain the increase in numbers ,( this info coming from the new Wynnum coach, whom was a customer at my workplace on Monday.)
Not saying this info is correct, ok.

thunderdoc

Team Captain
May 27, 2010
dimboola
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Turn it up Chikka - the Hornets pockets surely couldn't go any deeper. Next thing you will be telling us is that Lance Armstrong has signed as conditioning coach

Roadkill

Debutant
Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Turn it up Chikka - the Hornets pockets surely couldn't go any deeper. Next thing you will be telling us is that Lance Armstrong has signed as conditioning coach
No he hasnt signed, he offered his services but Aspley knocked the offer back.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Peanut01,
agree about his baggage,word from Darwin reports he is the fittest he has been since his AFL days and fully focussed on his footy. Fact is, he has kicked 102 goals in 13 games so far in the NTFL this season, and this comp is not a minor league... thats nearly 8 goals a game... Simply put, he is to good at NTFL level, and if keeps fit and focussed will be a star player in the NEAFL, OVENS AND MURRAY or wherever he may end up playing this season.But then again, can he and does he want to maintain this fitness and dedication levels ?

Should really be playing in SANFL or WAFL I reckon Stuyd - the sort of bloke who ppl will remember as easily had the ability, just not the mindset unfortunately. Does show what a massive step up AFL footy is though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back