NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Peanut,
hear where your coming from... but being a league medallist, named in the state side etc, applies to the cream of the crop to some degree. This cream of the crop would represent some 20 players . After that, there would be some 40 players that would be rated as A graders . In the past few years clubs have rated their teams on the best 6..... now they will rate this measure on their best 12.
Understand Peanut what your saying, but I think most of these recruits from Labrador and Broadbeach will contribute in a big way to Southport.Anyway, time will tell, and I appreciate your views.
With all those players from Broadbeach, their coach and fitness advisor, it's starting to sound like the Southport Cats..hard to believe they were kicked out of he comp in be first place!

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still not convinced. None have been in a NEAFL team of the Year from memory, I think only Grayson and Geary past state reps. A graders are the cream of the crop in the NEAFL in my opinion that make TOY, win B&Fs, state reps, league medals, ex AFL etc.
That's 7 players coming into their list of 35 which is 20% of the list. If they're not losing many players as reported which 7 players do they replace out of Southports 2013 prelim final side? Especially if they're going to add 2-3 quality interstaters like you've said.

Not so sure all of them will be regular senior players in the Southport side but I do agree with one thing - Southport will be an absolute powerhouse next year!

Your point is valid but study is right as well. What has been forgotten is the age of all these guys still very young. Stewart the veteran is the oldest at 24. Heaps of upside there. Clever recruiting by sharks

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Obviously a lot of heartache attached to the original decision by AFLQ but this is exactly what the powers were looking to happen - basically a GC side, a south Bris side and a nth Bris side. The confining of the best players to these 3 teams will make for a very competitive NEAFL next year. Reckon Labrador and Broadbeach would be excited to know that some of their players potentially could come back with a ripper preseason under their belt + there will be Southport players from this year that won't make the grade so will filter into one of the GC teams in the QAFL. Think its going to be win/win in the end for all concerned.

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spot on smy. Get the feeling that the local derbys and local north sides Vs AFL side will be absolute rippers and high class games. Have concerns that the eastern sides will be left for dead until they too restructure and consolidate their sides. Canberra should only have two teams for the amount of talent there.

Now that the emotion has gone out of it and everyone can see the big picture I think it will be fantastic and the QAFL will be good quality too. Like we've just been talking about, each NEAFL team will have 8-10 quality players going back into QAFL each week which will lift the standard. How those players deal with training with one squad and playing with another on a weekly basis will be a major challenge for all teams involved.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, will be an issue but the players going back will be spread thru the various QAFL sides so potentially only 2-4 each week at most. This sort of player management is common place in other states between competitions. Probably the major issue will be what the qualifying terms will be come the EOY and finals time. In any case think it will end up being a big positive for the NEAFL comp rather than have the talent spread thinly and clubs struggling financially every year.

kittycat12

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, will be an issue but the players going back will be spread thru the various QAFL sides so potentially only 2-4 each week at most. This sort of player management is common place in other states between competitions. Probably the major issue will be what the qualifying terms will be come the EOY and finals time. In any case think it will end up being a big positive for the NEAFL comp rather than have the talent spread thinly and clubs struggling financially every year.

Just on the "talent spread thinly line" - I can't understand why the QAFL has 4 teams on the coast.
IMO should only be Broady and Labrador as it will only dilute the talent base and drag the standard down more towards AP comp.
Clubs are apparently poaching from each other and do not have the resources to provide a state league level environment.
Would also be cautious on the Southport "powerhouse" line as well.
The squad appears to be decidedly younger and whilst that maybe a good thing for those players long term - they might be a year or two away from going beyond top 3.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just on the "talent spread thinly line" - I can't understand why the QAFL has 4 teams on the coast.
IMO should only be Broady and Labrador as it will only dilute the talent base and drag the standard down more towards AP comp.
Clubs are apparently poaching from each other and do not have the resources to provide a state league level environment.
Would also be cautious on the Southport "powerhouse" line as well.
The squad appears to be decidedly younger and whilst that maybe a good thing for those players long term - they might be a year or two away from going beyond top 3.
Kiy

Kittycat,
they were top 3 this season past.The Labrador and Broady players they have recruited are young gun players that would be selected to play in any NEAFL club... Most of them have already chalked up some 35/40 games plus at Neafl level.And with coach Angus ( who is a very good coach) and obtaining the services of fitness coach, the guru Fox, they will be a 10 goal better side in 2014.
See the Sharks have lost Cleve Hughes to Redlands, but lets get real, Hughes has battled for the past 2 seasons due to a chronic foot/ankle injury, and is nowhere hear the player he was some 3 seasons ago.
Coach Angus, bought a whole new culture to Broadbeach, and will do the same at the Sharks. IMO, the Sharks will be able to match it with the Lions reserves in 2014.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure of your logic here Kittycat - the GC is a massive city, 7th largest in Aust, has a big football playing population. I think you will find that with only the one NEAFL side instead of 3 that there are now 60 odd players who were all A graders at NEAFL level playing in the QAFL, possibly more. Majority will be with Labrador and Broady but Surfers and PBC will have some filter thru. Don't worry, resources don't make a state league environment - Morningside showed this with their success at the top level over a number of years that the formula for success is having passionate players wanting to play for your footy club and coached well. IMO 4 clubs is a good number for the GC to have at this level, my only disappointment is no clubs from the sunshine coast..:(

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think any matching with the AFL clubs will largely depend on who comes from interstate initially. Would be great for Southport and co to pick up a 23/24 yr old key position that still has the belief that he could be drafted one day. If a guy like this can make a habit of dominating the Lions/Suns key position players then it would be not silly to suggest that he could be picked up a la a Pods, Goodes, etc. The key is getting these guys to understand now that the NEAFL will provide that same opportunity. Reckon it would be great to see the odd game between the 2 Sydney AFL teams and the non AFL sides, only they come here though, not vice versa to save funds basically.

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
What are Brisbane Lions thinking in appointing Matt Francis as their development coach?Had no success with gun lists at Redlands and Aspley.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One and the same these days i reckon Speedy - just that like most things, some ppl do it better than others! Reckon there are a few coaches who missed their calling in life to be a school teacher. Always sound like plum jobs but you generally work 2x as hard for the same pay as a teacher. Depends on what floats your boat i spose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wow, Thurlow to Essendon! Well done, and Smith and Conway to Brisbane! No love for Tickner!
Great news for those 3, i feel for Tickner but when you dont train self diagnose injuries and lack fitness to get through a game how could an AFL club take him? would love to see him have a massive summer (train smart 5 days a week) like Tom Bell did and play senior footy at Aspley and destroy the league! if he does that he will be right back in the mix, take care of today and tommorow will take care of itself!!

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well my wish to watch another State League wasn't granted, so back on here to observe Browning & Miller and the boys (or boys club according to possum).Will be very interesting year as well, I concur with all that the level of the NEAFL will rise in standard.Browning has started poorly though trying to claim players from all over Australia as his boys, mate they left here worked hard, improved and have got on a list more to do with you not being involved than any input you had.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah Agree LAB - was a bit too much of clutching at straws. Not sure anyone would be happy if any boys who were drafted out of the NEAFL that spent only 1 year in the system in Qld were claimed as Vics/ Sth Aust / Tassie etc by those states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back