NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Should really be playing in SANFL or WAFL I reckon Stuyd - the sort of bloke who ppl will remember as easily had the ability, just not the mindset unfortunately. Does show what a massive step up AFL footy is though.
Spot on SMY,
It is a massive step up, and thats one of the reasons the Afl clubs recruit the 17/18 year olds to develop them, whilst a mature age guy who has been a gun at the State level leagues are a big risk recruitment wise. What Zorko has acheived for example as a mature age recruit is exceptional, as is Podsiary at Geelong... But there are not a lot of mature age recruits proving they have the ability to step up and become regular senior players. And all of us have our opinions on a mature age gun player, where we say, this guy should be playing AFL, but the fact is this guy is not good enough to make the cut at AFL level... as you said, its a massive step up to Afl level.

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dunno about that stuyd1 I'd actually say the majority of mature age recruits that have been given a chance from a state league have excelled.

Zorko, Podsiadly, Ballantyne, Mezungu, Crameri, Howe, Pederson, Sam Gibson, Josh Gibson, Isaak Smith, Callinan, Barlow, Morris, Duigan, Clint Jones, Saad, Milera, Carazzo, Dickson just to name a few off the top of my head. Sure there are plenty more too.

I'd love to see more teams give more players a chance and looking at this years rookie draft I think thats the exact way they're going.
Give a bloke a chance who has had to work hard every step of the way and he'll give you his absolute best. Certainly can't say the same for a lot of 17/18 year olds taken straight from school into a club.
I'd say the transition from having a full time job and part time football to full time football brings a player up to speed pretty quickly, and as we've seen from those players mentioned if they have the right attitude they can go far.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't get me wrong Stuy - I mean its a massive step up mentally to play AFL. Ability wise he was easily good enough. I still would pick the mature age guy who has kicked arse in the SANFL, WAFL, VFL, even the NEAFL to a degree over a 17/18yr old whose best effort to date is being outstanding in the TAC. Ability wise, one is proven, the other isn't. Mentally, not sure a guy at 18 has any more motivation than a 21yr old. Cupido falls into the category (a very large category tbh!) of players who had the ability, just not the mental toughness for AFL footy. Saying this I'm sure he is making a nice living out of being a footy journeyman. At least he is very good at AFL and not table tennis for instance..:)

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't get me wrong Stuy - I mean its a massive step up mentally to play AFL. Ability wise he was easily good enough. I still would pick the mature age guy who has kicked arse in the SANFL, WAFL, VFL, even the NEAFL to a degree over a 17/18yr old whose best effort to date is being outstanding in the TAC. Ability wise, one is proven, the other isn't. Mentally, not sure a guy at 18 has any more motivation than a 21yr old. Cupido falls into the category (a very large category tbh!) of players who had the ability, just not the mental toughness for AFL footy. Saying this I'm sure he is making a nice living out of being a footy journeyman. At least he is very good at AFL and not table tennis for instance..:)
SMY1305,
YEAH, GOOD POINT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would have thought he could have picked up a fair buck for coaching tbh but no doubt too late to score a gig for 2013. If Aspley are paying "lots" of $$ for Clarkey then unfortunately they have too much of the stuff. He was a very good footballer 10 years back but at the age of 33 or whatever and as a running player, not a clunker of the big grab in the goal square or at CHF then this is just as bizarre imo. Good luck to Nathan - will be a quality bloke to have around the club and a uni student has to live..:)

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair chance he would be an assistant coach considering the level he has coached at. Plus the coaching team of Blair and Clarke will be a perfect blend of experience and fresh AFL standard ideas. Plus he will have a great knowledge of all opposition clubs as well. Aspley have needed coaches to take their club forward, surely these two will do that?

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep - true Megaman - his value would be as a coach first imo, not as a player so any value he can give as a player would be a bonus. With all these rumoirs re Blair applying for the Lions gig, maybe it is Aspley's insurance??

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair chance he would be an assistant coach considering the level he has coached at. Plus the coaching team of Blair and Clarke will be a perfect blend of experience and fresh AFL standard ideas. Plus he will have a great knowledge of all opposition clubs as well. Aspley have needed coaches to take their club forward, surely these two will do that?
Thought Rus Evans took the club forward in making finals before getting the ass. What will the untouched Aspley board do if Aspley have another poor season with high calibre coaches in Blair,Clarke with the up and coming Daniel Webster. Must have money stashed away to pay out sacked coaches.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will have to find time to train 3 nights a week,game day.$1000 week great incentive.
If thats the facts, well Aspley just arent learning are they....and with Blair being the new coach, signs are he has no say in the senior heirachys decisions, If this is the case , Blair will find himself facing a uphill battle at his new club. Maybe he has recognized this already, thus applied for the Lions job.. and if he gets it , then Clarke will be coach of Aspley... In saying that, fact is, we dont know the real scenario, and maybe totally wrong with our observations.Just adds to the interest of our loved game.

Roadkill

Debutant
Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
If thats the facts, well Aspley just arent learning are they....and with Blair being the new coach, signs are he has no say in the senior heirachys decisions, If this is the case , Blair will find himself facing a uphill battle at his new club. Maybe he has recognized this already, thus applied for the Lions job.. and if he gets it , then Clarke will be coach of Aspley... In saying that, fact is, we dont know the real scenario, and maybe totally wrong with our observations.Just adds to the interest of our loved game.
Blairy never applied for the Lions Job!!!!

Roadkill

Debutant
Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Thought Rus Evans took the club forward in making finals before getting the arse. What will the untouched Aspley board do if Aspley have another poor season with high calibre coaches in Blair,Clarke with the up and coming Daniel Webster. Must have money stashed away to pay out sacked coaches.
You must be the only one on the board who is not in sinc with there decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back