NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Porkhead

Senior List
May 15, 2007
Canberra
No offense taken at all mate.

Well done to Northern

Well handled ABH. Spoke to Neil Irwin after the game and he said Nathan Clarke told him after that they needed to bring in heaps of fresh legs as listed players were really tired so 13 or 14 fresh players certainly helped the Lions over a very tired Tigers outfit. Clarke out coached the Tigers bench too. Why the hell did they Tigers change a successful side around when only one player was being beaten by Lisle . In the second half we had Irwin, Stevens, B Klemke, R Quade in the back line!! Neil spent only one quarter in the ruck. Anyway nothing can take away from a great Tigers season when the only non AFL side to beat them was Southport.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Teams for cross conference final named - Lions 10 listed players only, 8 not playing from GF. Obviously Lions not taking game seriously and I would tip a comfortable win by ACT Premiers and bragging rights. In my opinion that doesn't reflect on our competition very well.
Kidding yourself Doc. Blokes in coaching box are guns

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Kidding yourself Doc. Blokes in coaching box are guns
Teams for cross conference final named - Lions 10 listed players only, 8 not playing from GF. Obviously Lions not taking game seriously and I would tip a comfortable win by ACT Premiers and bragging rights. In my opinion that doesn't reflect on our competition very well.
And they had 9 Doctor. Read and weep

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
yes, big win by lions with half a side so to speak.Not knocking Queanbeyan,... but the result shows just how strong the lions are at the moment and willl be next season.... makes it very difficult for the local clubs to compete against this team.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Concerning thing for Qld would be that no local side made the GF.

Alas ABH that is why our comp will always be stronger IMO, there really is only 2 spot in our (Northern) final 5 for Local Qld teams, if both of the AFL including NT teams are fair dinkum. On past performances one should be Southport and then 1 other, quality players in quality sides will always lift the bar for teams playing an any competition - Premierships in both of our NEAFL divisions come down to a lot of luck and consistancy but IMO more to do with luck, with minimal injuries for our competing local teams and more, lots more for the AFL and interstate teams is the only thing apart from travelling that bring us all closer.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lions with 9 listed and rest top ups. Give yourselves an upper cut if you thought your league much stronger tan old QAFL. Why is Ainsley chasing Payne?

chickka, Like all players who have played on him in the past, they (Ainsley) will have to run a lot quicker to catch him, the word I have heard is he is staying to help kick start a new dynasty comming to the North side of Brisbane that may well rock the NEAFL as we know it!!!!!

Mar 8, 2007
With My Mate Jack - Jack Daniel's
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC, PAFC, QBN TIGERS & JD
Alas ABH that is why our comp will always be stronger IMO, there really is only 2 spot in our (Northern) final 5 for Local Qld teams, if both of the AFL including NT teams are fair dinkum. On past performances one should be Southport and then 1 other, quality players in quality sides will always lift the bar for teams playing an any competition - Premierships in both of our NEAFL divisions come down to a lot of luck and consistancy but IMO more to do with luck, with minimal injuries for our competing local teams and more, lots more for the AFL and interstate teams is the only thing apart from travelling that bring us all closer.

I take your point billybunter.

I think we might have a similar scenario soon enough with Sydney and GWS taking 2 of the 5 with the Canberra/Sydney local clubs fighting it out for the final 3 spots. Can only make for stronger competition as you say and after all this is what both conferences want. A stronger league.

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
chickka, Like all players who have played on him in the past, they (Ainsley) will have to run a lot quicker to catch him, the word I have heard is he is staying to help kick start a new dynasty comming to the North side of Brisbane that may well rock the NEAFL as we know it!!!!!

John Blair is a great coach no doubt. Will he be able to deal with Tucker and co and get Aspley into the "new dynasty" they are after? Always looked like they were an experienced, disciplined coach away from getting themselve going. If Blair cant do it, no will will be able to. Be interesting how many recruits they bring in, will Blair have more of a say in the character of players brought into the club. One thing he will do is play young blokes who deserve a game and not be the side picked wont be based on who is getting paid the most to be there.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
John Blair is a great coach no doubt. Will he be able to deal with Tucker and co and get Aspley into the "new dynasty" they are after? Always looked like they were an experienced, disciplined coach away from getting themselve going. If Blair cant do it, no will will be able to. Be interesting how many recruits they bring in, will Blair have more of a say in the character of players brought into the club. One thing he will do is play young blokes who deserve a game and not be the side picked wont be based on who is getting paid the most to be there.

Megaman123,

Interesting comments above, my mail was that after Russell Evans stood down from his recent coaching position, two ex great former coaches of the AFLQ/NEAFL along with a few others were in the running for the job at Aspley, before I go any further - I, from a supporters point of view would like to thank Russell Evans for the job he did, taking over in difficult circumstances from a former coach who was forced out due to the culture at the club at the time - he, as rumour has it, may well have suffered with the same fate, Russell IMO can hold his head up high, as he coached with passion and with brown and gold blood running through his veins at all times throughout his tenure at the club - I never heard him say a bad word of any body at the club - player, supporter, board member etc - his words were always positive and he saw the best in everyone and brought it out in most - even though some did not deserve this belief. I hope to see him back at the club in the future, as he started something with his honestey and true belief, that will be great for Aspley in the not to distant future, given the wake up call that the club needs.

You ask above, can the new coach (if it is the great JB) handle TT and the board in the beginnings of this clubs new life (I say on his ear) - these Tony Tucker and co mentioned above do not create or tune the culture of any club they are just elected members who are trusted with the role of making sure that the club is sucsessful - the players make the culture and to date they have stumbled at doing this at every turn, even to the point of getting behind Russell Evans and bleeding brown and gold blood the same as he has done with every loss they sustained, they the players, just accepted it and at every opportunity put their hand out for more.

The first thing the new coach IMO should do is ask each and every player at the club their reasons for playing there and then judge the reply on who stays and who goes - at the moment most (if they were truthfull) would say for the money offered - then they should be asked if they would take a pay cut and still play - and if the answer is no, then it is time to move them on, there are a mountain of players playing for a very small % of what is being paid to the so called good players there at other clubs who play because they want to be part of a winning team, trusted team mates and a proven culture, this being playing for the jumper first their team mate second and any money offered third, we have a lot of I's at Aspley at the moment and there is no I's in the word team or for that matter the word club.

Its time, in an order to move forward, that the players are honest with themselves firstly, their team mates secondly an more importantley the club, this is how the clubs culture can be future developed in the positive way needed - it will be an interesting time at Aspley over the next couple of months, with some well settled noses being put out of joint and some over inflatted egos cut down to size and maybe even shown the route to the door.

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
well you are well informed, must have a great informer giving you info.
You might have ended up getting the coach but with player losses atm in Bucovaz brothers,Linton,Buchanan,Manzone you will have a very inexperienced list And if Reid ends up going to Syd or NSW that ruck role will have to be filled.Expect though Alir to at least get rookied.And Payne and Copeland no certainties to stay and play.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
congratulations to the more experienced broadbeach cats on winning the 2s flag. josh pound had a fair dinkum day out. i feel aspleys 2s will be back there next year on gf day

well done to the lions on winning both this conference and the whole conference crown. sad state of affairs isn't it when there isn't even a local team in the gf

i wel;come john blair to the hornets as well. not sure how he'll go, but he will be a positive influence on the kids at the club. to staminade for a club to bring the game into dis repute. you have to do something more serious than letting a coach go for bringing the game into dis repute. if you feel so strongly about the board, why don't you run for it or are you too scared to show your face

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisvegas

Senior List
May 7, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Megaman123,

Interesting comments above, my mail was that after Russell Evans stood down from his recent coaching position, two ex great former coaches of the AFLQ/NEAFL along with a few others were in the running for the job at Aspley, before I go any further - I, from a supporters point of view would like to thank Russell Evans for the job he did, taking over in difficult circumstances from a former coach who was forced out due to the culture at the club at the time - he, as rumour has it, may well have suffered with the same fate, Russell IMO can hold his head up high, as he coached with passion and with brown and gold blood running through his veins at all times throughout his tenure at the club - I never heard him say a bad word of any body at the club - player, supporter, board member etc - his words were always positive and he saw the best in everyone and brought it out in most - even though some did not deserve this belief. I hope to see him back at the club in the future, as he started something with his honestey and true belief, that will be great for Aspley in the not to distant future, given the wake up call that the club needs.

You ask above, can the new coach (if it is the great JB) handle TT and the board in the beginnings of this clubs new life (I say on his ear) - these Tony Tucker and co mentioned above do not create or tune the culture of any club they are just elected members who are trusted with the role of making sure that the club is sucsessful - the players make the culture and to date they have stumbled at doing this at every turn, even to the point of getting behind Russell Evans and bleeding brown and gold blood the same as he has done with every loss they sustained, they the players, just accepted it and at every opportunity put their hand out for more.

The first thing the new coach IMO should do is ask each and every player at the club their reasons for playing there and then judge the reply on who stays and who goes - at the moment most (if they were truthfull) would say for the money offered - then they should be asked if they would take a pay cut and still play - and if the answer is no, then it is time to move them on, there are a mountain of players playing for a very small % of what is being paid to the so called good players there at other clubs who play because they want to be part of a winning team, trusted team mates and a proven culture, this being playing for the jumper first their team mate second and any money offered third, we have a lot of I's at Aspley at the moment and there is no I's in the word team or for that matter the word club.

Its time, in an order to move forward, that the players are honest with themselves firstly, their team mates secondly an more importantley the club, this is how the clubs culture can be future developed in the positive way needed - it will be an interesting time at Aspley over the next couple of months, with some well settled noses being put out of joint and some over inflatted egos cut down to size and maybe even shown the route to the door.
Have to ask the new coach as well............are you also here just for the money? Desperate people make desperate offers, can only imagine what was thrown his way to buy success.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have to ask the new coach as well............are you also here just for the money? Desperate people make desperate offers, can only imagine what was thrown his way to buy success.
obviously obtaining Blair as coach ( with his impeccable record) is a great gain.Must have been a good deal for Blair to take on the challenge leaving( not returning that is) to his Morningside alliance after all those years.Blair certainly has the ability to acheive great results for the club....but.. will he have the authority to make decisions that he feels will benefit the performance on the field... let alone change the culture that is rife within the club, mainly caused by highly paid selfish players.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I couldn't sit idle any longer...surely the Neafl needs strong AFL Reserves teams.The lions will be nowhere near as strong next yr. You can't replace Stiller, Hawksley, Buchanan, Retzlaff, Shelton with new draftees and expect them to have the same impact straight away.
It has to be up to the other clubs to lift the standard. Southport pretty much do 4 nights a week including recovery plus game day. If your clubs culture is strong any new player/ recruit will by into it. If he wishes not too,he gets moved on. 'Morningside have been the most successful team of the past decade without a cent. They have a most magnificent culture that is purely run by the players. There wooden spoon is totally irrelevant as they have the most upside to any team in the comp with large group of kids.
Lets clear another thing up, Southport have been left behind now as far as money paid to players stand. Aspley and to a lesser extent Redlands have assumed that mantle. The Sharks relationship with the suns doesn't allow them to go overboard with there Neafl teams. They now know its about player development within the Gold Coast region as well as the own junior base. They will have 400 juniors registered there next yr.
Aspley snaring Blairy is huge for the club. The bloke is putting his reputation on the line by going to a club that has a horrible recent record in retaining coaches. If Blairy gets what he wants, and so he should, Aspley can climb the ladder. I, like a lot of people had Aspley top 3 for season 2012, but like a lot of people ,weren't surprised to see them finish where they did. Let the coach coach might be there motto!
One last thing I totally agree with you guys on here is that the NEAFL Northern conference publicity is putrid if non existent. It may be up to the social bloggers twitter, Facebook etc to do the best thing for the game and there clubs and promote promote promote, seniors, juniors whoever to come and watch our great game. Northern's marketing budget is $20000 compared with Eastern's $100000. A huge fan of thunder vision.

kittycat12

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have heard yesterday that Broady have extended the coaching contract of Angus at the club on B & F night.
Good news for the club - need stability. Club needs to get behind coach and players now and let the young talent thrive.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have heard yesterday that Broady have extended the coaching contract of Angus at the club on B & F night.
Good news for the club - need stability. Club needs to get behind coach and players now and let the young talent thrive.

Congrats to Ryan PAntic for winning Cats B&F, 2nd was Stewart. Any other B&F's to report?

Player losses any news? Cats to lose a couple Eagle (probably), Wilson (back to SA to work in the family business) and Neagle in understandably back in Vic with family so must be doubts on him.

Maurie whats going on at Mt Gravatt, I am hearing a bit of discontent and financial struggles- hopefully a proud club sticks firm through a difficult period.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Congrats to Ryan PAntic for winning Cats B&F, 2nd was Stewart. Any other B&F's to report?

Player losses any news? Cats to lose a couple Eagle (probably), Wilson (back to SA to work in the family business) and Neagle in understandably back in Vic with family so must be doubts on him.

Maurie whats going on at Mt Gravatt, I am hearing a bit of discontent and financial struggles- hopefully a proud club sticks firm through a difficult period.
2010 premier,
see fridays Shepparton news reported that Eagle is returning to Shepp. United with a good mate in Justin Carey( who he played with at Redlands in 2009) Carey has played the last 2 or 3 seasons with powerhouse Albury Tigers in the Ovens and Murray. The report had a photo of both players standing together in a Shepp. United gurnsey.Claimed the deal is done, contracts signed....

Dezario

All Australian
Dec 14, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Geelong

I heard there would be a player exodus if Angus was resigned?

But the Cats have plenty of youth still and will only get better even if they lose a couple of key players from this year. I imagine they will gain a few handy players aswell... ? Any names?

kittycat12

Debutant
Feb 14, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have heard this all before Dezario with players threatening to leave clubs. I wouldn't have thought any players worthy of keeping would leave.
I am sure the club will recruit a few players but hopefully the plan is to give opportunity to the talented young kids from the reserves premiership. Apparently Eagle is gone and maybe Neagle as well.

riodj

Debutant
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Expecting Normy Dare to continue on - (not sure they have announced this formally yet).
Think this current group are capable of going to the next level. Terrific new recruit about to be announced shortly as well!!

Positive news on the Broady front as well. Maybe their club is finally making a bit of a stand and will continue to head in the right direction. You always have disgruntled players but they are not generally the ones who take you forward anyway. If Southport listened to disgruntled players every year then a few coaches including Norm would have had short stints at the place.

Any news on the Labrador front. Hearing the exodus of players might be occuring there? Retiremenst etc..

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
No player
Expecting Normy Dare to continue on - (not sure they have announced this formally yet).
Think this current group are capable of going to the next level. Terrific new recruit about to be announced shortly as well!!

Positive news on the Broady front as well. Maybe their club is finally making a bit of a stand and will continue to head in the right direction. You always have disgruntled players but they are not generally the ones who take you forward anyway. If Southport listened to disgruntled players every year then a few coaches including Norm would have had short stints at the place.

Any news on the Labrador front. Hearing the exodus of players might be occuring there? Retiremenst etc..

No player exodus at Tigerland despite the best efforts of some rival clubs. 1 retirement and 2 players moving away for work. Possibly a few drafted/rookied, but that is great nees for any club.

The silly season is well and truly underway.
ex

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
[
quote="riodj, post: 26000690, member: 116806"]Expecting Normy Dare to continue on - (not sure they have announced this formally yet).

Any news on the Labrador front. Hearing the exodus of players might be occuring there? Retiremenst etc..[/quote]

riodj, in reference to your Broadbeach comments , you are spot on.The coach and heirachy are putting in massive efforts in all aspects of the game on the field, and professional running of the club off the field, with the goal firstly, being competitive in this ever increasing standard of the comp, and secondly acheiving success.( as u know, the magoos won the flag this year after being cellar dwellers for the past few years.) Problem is , there are some long term supporters that seem to not be able to ajust to change when change is needed. Yes, this not only occurs at Broadbeach, it happens at many clubs when change is needed.
As far as im concerned, the changes being implemented over the past 2 seasons are very positive and a non successful culture is being transformed towards a great culture which will reap rewards in the future.
In addition, the heirachy has worked extremely hard off the field over the past 2 seasons negoiating with the council,.. resulting in fantastic lighting for the ground..,and a 400k new state of the art changerooms facility that will be ready for use next season. As u would know, the ground is large and has one of the best playing surfaces in the comp. All the above adds up to increasing the ability to develop juniors, retain players and recruit players.
Well done Broadbeach, keep at it and u supporters that dont like the change, please see the light at the end of the tunnel. Otherwise, we will end up back in the State level comp.

Speedyunit

All Australian
Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

has MtGravatt named Peter McClennan as their new coach yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back