AussieFTW

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon
Sat 9 April. Ainslie v Greater Western Giants, Ainlie 2pm.

So this is the Giants' first NEAFL game, how do you think the team will go after all the games in the NAB Cup/Challenge, as well as practice games against Sydney AFL, Canberra AFL and the Swans' reserves?

We had one win (against Sydney AFL) and it's likely we will win some more games this season, but Ainslie is a pretty strong team, so this week should be a challenge..

AussieFTW

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon
Excellent work Giants!! That's a very positive result for the team.. Anyone go along and got any feedback?

Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
I didn't go to Canberra today, but that was a very pleasing result. The boys are continuing to develop well, and they've got far more character than the doom-boosters in the media think.
I heard Jack Hombsch interviewed on the AFL Today show on 2SM this evening. Sounds like there's some great spirit in the club. And also good to hear that Israel Folau appears to have put last week's shocker behind him - from all reports a vastly improved performance today.

well GWS got their first win 109-68

I chucked a lazy $20 on them at the line of +80.5!

Cheers!

Anyone know if there's a match report out there? I guess the club might put one on their website on Monday.

UrLordUnbeliever

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
Well that is certainly a good start for the Giants.
Lots of goalkickers, and it seems to me that one of their more capable forwards (Isiah Stevens) wasn't playing..
Perhaps their opposition this week will treat the Giants with a bit more respect than Ainslie did, which should make for a tougher challenge.
Also, the match report indicates that Folau performed a fair bit better this week, playing in defence again, and being involved in the play, and applying some good tackles.
For Folau to contribute and be involved in a win is going to be a good thing for his confidence, and hopefully will erode any regrets he may have had about begoming a Giant..

UrLordUnbeliever

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
A poster - Timeisrunningout - has posted the following ina different thread:

"Folau had 9 disposals and 3 marks down back if anyone was wondering. Opposition coach thought he played okay."

So that's pretty good stats for him, I reckon!

CC Giant

Draftee
Apr 11, 2011
Woy Woy NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Defeating Ainslie down there is a great start to the NEAFL. Getting wins at Manuka will be vital for the rest of the season if we are to make the Finals.

Can't wait for Saturday. Go Giants!

Aug 18, 2008
Ainslie 2010 AFC !!
AFL Club
Richmond
Why did they schedule the upcoming game on the same day as the Swans? I would have loved to be able to see both teams.

went to the GWS v AFC game Sat - glorious day, (as opposed to Sun wet and cold.)

GWS looked good all over, and really ran away with it in the 2nd half, apart from a couple of junk time goals from AFC, GWS were scoring at will in 2nd half, and looked to have AFC well outclassed, though did lose a bit of the in close work to bigger bodies. but absolutely ran away with it. bit of a rude shock to AFC to be outclassed in their 1st hitout after a premiership!

UrLordUnbeliever

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
went to the GWS v AFC game Sat - glorious day, (as opposed to Sun wet and cold.)

GWS looked good all over, and really ran away with it in the 2nd half, apart from a couple of junk time goals from AFC, GWS were scoring at will in 2nd half, and looked to have AFC well outclassed, though did lose a bit of the in close work to bigger bodies. but absolutely ran away with it. bit of a rude shock to AFC to be outclassed in their 1st hitout after a premiership!

I thought you'd have been there, KcT!
So do you think AFC were a little off the pace due to potential premiership hangover, under-rating their opponents, or maybe because the Giants have been playing practice matches for a month and a half now and were better prepared?

Aug 18, 2008
Ainslie 2010 AFC !!
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought you'd have been there, KcT!
So do you think AFC were a little off the pace due to potential premiership hangover, under-rating their opponents, or maybe because the Giants have been playing practice matches for a month and a half now and were better prepared?

yep dont really know the club well, just get to a few home games when I can, but they looked like they were 3/4 speed compared to GWS, who have some beauties. Curtly would look good with a sash i reckon - a yellow one that is- not a red one!

Need a few matches in a row to get going I reckon, the tricolours!

Be v interesting to see how Giants go v Bullants at the G coming up - if they can match it will be a very good sign, but youd have to favour the vfl > actafl, so Im thinking a pasting awaits - but will show something.
AFC got flogged in adelaide recently, but think the safl also a bit of a step up too in another footy state

Back