News NEAFL Round 7: Brisbane Lions Reserves V GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

GiantForce

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Old boys V New boys today for me today! GWS have a good chance of getting a respectable score on the board.

Started @2pm at Cooraparoo.

Quarter Time:
3.6.24 Giants
2.4.16 Lions

Our goal scorers are Jon Gilles (First Goal), Joe Redfern & Jeremy Cameron (Adter a good mark on the siren)

Lions ahead by 16 at HT. GWS was ahead by as much as 19 that quarter....and Lions were ahead by as much a 22. We just cant seem to to stay consistent throughout the match, which is to be expected as we're such a young side. But if we can put 4 consisent quarter together we're a chance against any AFL reserves side (Bullants, Lions, Swans, whoever)

Lions 9.11.65
Giants 7.7.49

Folau moved to Full forward for the 3rd Quarter....this will be interesting.

9.14.68 to 8.11.59 during the 3rd quarter.

Folau marked the ball 30m from goal but missed. Hopefully he can get one late in the game. Would be good for him

88 to 66 in the 4th! While we probaley wont win we have played very well and the scoreline looks respectable atm

Adam Flagg Goal! 12.16.88 to 10.12.72.........only 16 points stranger things have happened! Cmon Giants!

We've played the Carlton (Bullants), Sydney and Lions reserves over the last few weeks and we've gotten better each week. Phillips by the sounds of this has played very well today

Full Time:
Lions Reserves - 14.17.101
Giants - 12.14.86

While we are now 2-2 in NEAFL games I feel we have played very well in 3 of them and the first half of the Swans game. We have got Queenbayen and Eastlake the next 2 weeks. We should win those 2. Then we have a match V the Suns reserves. I feel that will be our best chance yet for victory. They won't have a lot of big bodies and most of them will only be 1 or 2 years older than most of our players. Huge 3 weeks for us now. Last 3 weeks wasn't so much about results, but now we need a few to put us up right there with Sydney on the Eastern table.

One of our best, if not the best. He is pretty much named in the Best every game. But I think that may be because he is the only mature aged player in the team. But he is rucking well and scoring goals consistently. Should be a Zac Smith (Only abit older and not as talented...still bloody good player tho)

Sheedy said it was GWS' best peformance so far, so that's great.

At the game GF. Very impressed by 27 Phillips ruck. He seemed to be just as happy to bore up the middle too and deliver to the forwards.
6 Bruce, 8 Cameron, 10 Miles, 20 Carey, 30 Williams did some very good things.
Overall I was happy with the workrate and intensity at the ball and off it.
Fell away in midfield after the long break.

4 Folau was noticeably last into the sheds at half time, looking dejected after not much impact down back. But being shifted to the forward line was like an elixir for him, leading strongly, a notable almost chest mark when leaping over a player, a strong 55m kick to the goal square. Please leave Izzy in the forwards from now on. He showed zest and determination there.

The white G and white shorts looked good. No clash with Lions re strip.
Don't know who 38,39,40 were as NEAFL Record only listed up to 35 players.

Brand new GWS fan here :) Had an interest in AFL for a while, mainly due to living in tassie for 5 years, but always been more of a rugby guy, playing union and now league. But the arrival of Hunt at GCS and Folau at GWS has reignited my interest in AFL; lived in western sydney and country NSW for most of my life so following a western sydney team was a natural choice for me. will probably even make the switch from playing league to playing AFL next year, mostly just to find out what it's really like :)

Anyway, keeping a keen eye on all the games and follow the live chat on the GWS site for all the giants games. we had a great start, and came back strongly at the end, but just not enough through the middle part of the game. if we can piece together some of our best quarters from this year, we will be competing strongly with AFL reserves sides by the end of the year - throw in some experienced AFL players, and I think we can be competitive in the big league next year.

so glad that Sheedy put Folau up forward, and that he took some strong marks. as a rugby league lover, that, and maybe some strong running with the ball is the skills I am waiting to see him have a chance to use. Interested to know how his kicking is coming along? They mentioned that he missed a set shot from 30 metres out, but BF said he had a strong 55m kick to the goal square? Do you think nerves may have played a part in missing the goal? if he is already capable of leading and marking strongly up forward, and has a 55m kicking distance, I can see him being a real weapon for us next year, hopefully with the potential to eventually play a jonathan brown type role at centre half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the game GF. Very impressed by 27 Phillips ruck. He seemed to be just as happy to bore up the middle too and deliver to the forwards.

6 Bruce, 8 Cameron, 10 Miles, 20 Carey, 30 Williams did some very good things.

Overall I was happy with the workrate and intensity at the ball and off it.

Fell away in midfield after the long break.

4 Folau was noticeably last into the sheds at half time, looking dejected after not much impact down back. But being shifted to the forward line was like an elixir for him, leading strongly, a notable almost chest mark when leaping over a player, a strong 55m kick to the goal square. Please leave Izzy in the forwards from now on. He showed zest and determination there.

The white G and white shorts looked good. No clash with Lions re strip.

Don't know who 38,39,40 were as NEAFL Record only listed up to 35 players.

Tim Barton, Jordon Harper, Nils Williams. Harper was one of the academy kids playing yesterday

so glad that Sheedy put Folau up forward, and that he took some strong marks. as a rugby league lover, that, and maybe some strong running with the ball is the skills I am waiting to see him have a chance to use. Interested to know how his kicking is coming along? They mentioned that he missed a set shot from 30 metres out, but BF said he had a strong 55m kick to the goal square? Do you think nerves may have played a part in missing the goal? if he is already capable of leading and marking strongly up forward, and has a 55m kicking distance, I can see him being a real weapon for us next year, hopefully with the potential to eventually play a jonathan brown type role at centre half forward.

From what I've seen of him, his field kicking is pretty good (better than you'd expect). I missed him being played as a forward but I'm guessing he hasn't done much set shot practice. OTOH Mitch Clark, for example, is a good field kick but shocking set shot, so they're obviously very different skills.

Tim Barton, Jordon Harper, Nils Williams. Harper was one of the academy kids playing yesterday

Thanks for that GF. Each of those three players had strong games. Someone wearing GWS apparel told me they were top up players from Sydney teams, but I reckon each of them is worthy of a spot on the list for 2012. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back