Competitions NEAFL Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Just wondering how much better this league is. An example i have is that NT Thunder belted our reserves and yesterday a depleted Port Melbourne belted NT Thunder by 90 odd points. It just shows how much better Melbourne based clubs have it for grooming players for the AFL.
This is not bagging, but a discussion on how the NEAFL can be improved, or should there be a return to the AFL reserves with all clubs having one.

Just wondering how much better this league is. An example i have is that NT Thunder belted our reserves and yesterday a depleted Port Melbourne belted NT Thunder by 90 odd points. It just shows how much better Melbourne based clubs have it for grooming players for the AFL.
This is not bagging, but a discussion on how the NEAFL can be improved, or should there be a return to the AFL reserves with all clubs having one.

We know the NEAFL standard is not the VFL but bedders Port Melbourne are a club on fire. They are in a league of their own in the VFL right now and are the best non AFL club in the country and the scoreboard when they go full throttle could have been other VFL teams like Coburg or Frankston too. There is little doubt had Port played Melbourne last night they would have walked away winners.

I will temper this however with the mail from a Canberra resident who believes the league has weakened in the last couple of seasons after it had got pretty good.

If it could be achieved a consolidation of clubs e.g Belco, Quenbeyan and Ainslie and Syd Hills move in with the top North division to form the NEAFL.. no conferences.

I watched the streaming of the NT game and we could well have won that game but the heat got to our blokes in teh end. We were well in front at the 3rd q and just seemed to fall off a cliff

Personally have the NEAFL at a higher standard than what Sydney have played in the past, this has up against AFL reserve sides plus some strong teams from ACT/QLD/NT, while there are the weaker sides, that can be said for any comp.

Benefit of the NEAFL is complete control of our players to prepare them for roles at senior level. They carry out the same gameplan as the senior team.

So I would be in favour of a strong coompetition and full control. If i cant have that i would want a weaker competition where we have full control. And so it is.

Best option available to us. Most of the vic, sa and wa clubs do not have a lot of contol in how their players are used. I would rather be in our position than theirs.

, or should there be a return to the AFL reserves with all clubs having one.

This and Id also like it played as the warm up to all games.. Its what football is about.

One club, I feel so left out when it comes to our ressies I feel they are a different club altogether.

We know the NEAFL standard is not the VFL but bedders Port Melbourne are a club on fire. They are in a league of their own in the VFL right now and are the best non AFL club in the country and the scoreboard when they go full throttle could have been other VFL teams like Coburg or Frankston too. There is little doubt had Port played Melbourne last night they would have walked away winners.
Sorry to butt in, but Norwood might have something to say about that claim, although without a match (Norwood aren't in the Foxtel Cup) it's merely speculation. SANFL and VFL standards are more or less the same, although with number of VFL clubs being direct reserves for AFL sides it no doubt strengthens them (AFL listed players for Port and the Crows are distributed amongst SANFL clubs like the WAFL).

From what I have seen of the Qld and NSW comps (prior to this year), the standard isn't too bad, but clearly inferior to southern state comps, in part due a lack of on-field depth. I missed the Thunder playing on the weekend, but apparently their side is weaker this year. Still, that's quite a flogging against PM.

but Norwood might have something to say about that claim,

Might do but at this point Port went 2011 undefeated despite having no AFL affiliation at all.

Norwood still have to gain face after their disgraceful prelim final last season off.

PS Port Melbourne will be popular with at the least the Melbourne based half of this board so you'll be up against it arguing against them here lol.

Sorry to butt in, but Norwood might have something to say about that claim, although without a match (Norwood aren't in the Foxtel Cup) it's merely speculation. SANFL and VFL standards are more or less the same, although with number of VFL clubs being direct reserves for AFL sides it no doubt strengthens them (AFL listed players for Port and the Crows are distributed amongst SANFL clubs like the WAFL).

From what I have seen of the Qld and NSW comps (prior to this year), the standard isn't too bad, but clearly inferior to southern state comps, in part due a lack of on-field depth. I missed the Thunder playing on the weekend, but apparently their side is weaker this year. Still, that's quite a flogging against PM.
With all due respect, the VFL would be well ahead of SANFL level. Baja is right, go back to having the ressies before the main game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect, the VFL would be well ahead of SANFL level. Baja is right, go back to having the ressies before the main game
Well ahead? Slightly at best.
South Adelaide (who are only mid-table) just knocked off Williamstown who are sitting 4th on the VFL ladder.

Might do but at this point Port went 2011 undefeated despite having no AFL affiliation at all.

Norwood still have to gain face after their disgraceful prelim final last season off.

PS Port Melbourne will be popular with at the least the Melbourne based half of this board so you'll be up against it arguing against them here lol.
No doubt PM are a very strong side and no affliation can actually be a benefit, stability wise.
Norwood had a scoring problem last year, which was fully exposed in the finals last year. This has largely been addressed this year.

The NEAFL is below the VFL standard. The advantage we get is that instead of sending players to port melb and playing their way, the younger players are taught from day one about Swans style footy and game plan, which should roll on to benefit if they move into the senior side, instead of having to change the way they play all the time. With Crouch coaching the reserves now you can bet he's pushing teh get after it and be hard at the contest mantra

Like every other part of the expansion plan, the NEAFL is a long term plan. If a kid wanted to play footy in at least a decent standard of competition growing up he'd have to leave Sydney. If the quality of the football available here rises with a decent state league the young players will stick with it and stay in Sydney to play.

That's the theory anyway.

See that Sydney AFL are playing the VAFA on Saturday at Bankstown, should be a good guide as to the Sydney standard as the Ammo's beat the Eastern footy league earlier this year and that is the strongert suburban comp in the free world. I don't know any of the SFL players. In the Ammo side is Matt Ball, brother of Luke, Tom O'Sullivan, son of Shane and Jackson Eade, son of Rodney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back