Clubs will only travel probably 2 times , Swans if have a ressies will only mainly play in Q, or NSW and maybe 2 in VICThis really does not make any sense.
1. The VFL clubs will smash the non-AFL NEAFL clubs;
2. If the AFL is paying the airfares, there is no saving;
3. The non-AFL NEAFL clubs will need to find significant extra player payments to compete and they may not be able to do so;
4. If the AFL subsidises the non-AFL NEAFL clubs for extra player payments the AFL's costs will increase;
5. Canberra is out. If Sydney Uni cannot compete it means that there is no pathway or higher competition in NSW or the ACT. That's a population of over 8 million, and that can't be good for the expansion of the game.
Edit: forgot the Riverina, where footy is strong. But the point remains - no non-AFL pathway in Sydney, Canberra and the bulk of NSW.