Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Pick 40 in 2013 v Pick 40 in 2014.

Both have shown promise at different stages but have failed to cement themselves in the side. Depth of inside midfielders has worked against ANB, while JKH has not been helped with injuries.

ANB is building an impressive tank and can find the ball but needs to improve his decisonmaking under pressure. JKH has underrated skills but his lack of genuine speed could work against him when competing for a small forward position in seasons to come; something that ANB may need to focus upon if he is to force himself into the side.

Who is the more likely to forge out a decent AFL career?

Last edited:
Pick 40 in 2013 v Pick 40 in 2014.

Both have shown promise at different stages but have failed to cement themselves in the side. Depth of inside midfielders has worked against ANB, while JKH has not been helped with injuries.

ANB is building an impressive tank and can find the ball but needs to improve his decisonmaking under pressure. JKH has underrated skills but his lack of genuine speed could work against him when competing for a small forward position in seasons to come; something that ANB may need to focus upon if he is to force himself into the side.

Who is the more likely to forge out a decent AFL career?

ANB, who probably needs a fair crack of three or four games at the top level to adjust to the pace properly. I feel JKH doesn't have the skillset to play primarily as a forward, which is - essentially - where we need him to play. He's more of an undersized midfielder.

ANB has a decent tank and poor skills, JKH has decent skills and a poor tank.

Both slid to pick 40 for good reasons and will have an uphill battle to make it at afl level.

I think that JKH's better skill base gives him a slight edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From watching casey, ANB is definitely the better of the two

ANB has a decent tank and poor skills, JKH has decent skills and a poor tank.

Both slid to pick 40 for good reasons and will have an uphill battle to make it at afl level.

I think that JKH's better skill base gives him a slight edge.
FYI you'll have sole bragging rights at this stage if you vote on this basis :)

ANB will be a 100-150+ game player for us. JKH will be delisted at the end of 2017
Yeah JKH is the type of player who won't last long unless he makes in impact pretty soon but I'd be very surprised if ANB played 100 games for us.

JKH is a lovely user of the footy and decision maker, the knock I suppose is that he doesn't get enough of it. I'm hopeful to see what he can with (hopefully) an injury free at it next season.

A lot of people fawn over ANB but there's clearly a reason he isn't getting games and he was pretty lazy this year when he got his go
Not good enough as inside mid to make it imo
Remember grimes got 30 touches at at afl level an was delisted because they had no impact
ANB will be the same, JKH is long gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly i'm surprised JKH made it pass trade period and the axe. Has talent but i don't know what's happened.

ANB is okay for us going forward is a capable mid with the ability to play JKH role up forward if needed, therefore he makes JKH expendable and hence why i think he's worth more going forward

Honestly i'm surprised JKH made it pass trade period and the axe. Has talent but i don't know what's happened.

ANB is okay for us going forward is a capable mid with the ability to play JKH role up forward if needed, therefore he makes JKH expendable and hence why i think he's worth more going forward

JKH is worth more than pick 235...

I think JKH at a pinch has more ability to make it at the top level than ANB.

I don't like to be so negative about a player but just don't see ANB having the standout attributes to make it at AFL level, at least with us.

I think JKH at a pinch has more ability to make it at the top level than ANB.

I don't like to be so negative about a player but just don't see ANB having the standout attributes to make it at AFL level, at least with us.

Surprised the crows didn't pick him up seeing as they were after Barlow and Gibbs
Could be a handy 50-100 game player for them

ANB has played two seasons, judgment is way too harsh here. HE was more than handy when getting consistent games last year, and just needs time to start translating his VFL form into the midfield at AFL level

ANB is great at getting it but appears to be a turnover merchant of the highest order. I'm not sure that will change.
JKH I like. His form in the last few games of last season was red hot. Plus he's clever and seems to have more impact on games in my opinion. Not through racking up cheap stats but through creating goals out of nowhere. I hope he gets a chance this year. Roos threw him under the bus a few years ago after a QB game. He made a bad mistake in the third quarter and got roasted for it, had been fantastic in the first half though. After that he's barely been seen. Maybe PR though he was Terlich with fake tan on as a disguise?

To be fair if we stay relatively injury free next year i see it hard for either one of them to crack the best 22. ANB looks more poised to take over Vince when he goes

To be fair if we stay relatively injury free next year i see it hard for either one of them to crack the best 22. ANB looks more poised to take over Vince when he goes
If Melksham Hibberd and Lewis come into the 22 then AVB Bugg Salem Kennedy and some others will move down the depth chain as well .. neither will get games at Melbourne for much longer IMO

If Melksham Hibberd and Lewis come into the 22 then AVB Bugg Salem Kennedy and some others will move down the depth chain as well .. neither will get games at Melbourne for much longer IMO
Salem? He is ahead of Melksham for me in my opinion.

His last game showed exactly why we need him playing 22 games each year.

Back