Rumour Neale wants to come home - Freo looking to pounce

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Simon Garlick on 9 news say that they will need some help from the AFL around November as things stand right now. The take up of the pledge options has so far been about 20% of members pledging all or some of the their membership fees. They have also had about 100 new members sign up too..
How is Lachie Neale helping. Bit confused here.

I'd guess Brisbane targeted the kind of player they wanted and made him a big offer. Leigh Matthews is on Brisbane's board, so maybe he had some input. I remember Leigh was commentating the first game Lachie played. Came on as a sub against St Kilda, and Matthews was pointing out how many times he'd touched the ball in the passages of play.

As for having him back...i'd say we've drafted the players we want to replace him, and maybe there's another coming along next year in Western. I don't see how we could him a give him a big contract when he'll be 28yo this time next year and he might be too slow at 31yo.

I know taking money is sorta looked down on but if I was in the same situation I'm taking money everyday so I can't blame him tbh

Correct, and there’s absolutely no proof that money was his only motivation for leaving anyway, in fact he was apparently offered very good money to stay. Some are behaving like jilted lovers.

Last edited:
I know taking money is sorta looked down on but if I was in the same situation I'm taking money everyday so I can't blame him tbh
It's not that simple. Neale was offered well over half a million dollars p.a. to stay at the club who drafted him in the 3rd round when nobody else wanted him.

That's not chicken feed.

Without Freo, he may not have had the chance at AFL level at all. Freo were in the position to take a punt on a player every other club decided was too small for AFL. He played his early years alongside prime Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe and was given the best development a player could ask for, sometimes at the expense of other players. Neale was given extraordinary privilege at a club having it's period of greatest success. He took his chances, worked hard and became an excellent player.

Two years into a rebuild, Brisbane offered him more money and rather than work through the difficult time with the 'kids' (as Fyfe chose to do) - he left.

The same situation occurred last year with Coniglio and Kelly at GWS and they stayed for less money than they could have received on the 'open market', demonstrating great character and loyalty. A pity Neale didn't display the same admirable traits.

As I said - dead to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that simple. Neale was offered well over half a million dollars p.a. to stay at the club who drafted him in the 3rd round when nobody else wanted him.

That's not chicken feed.

Without Freo, he may not have had the chance at AFL level at all. Freo were in the position to take a punt on a player every other club decided was too small for AFL. He played his early years alongside prime Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe and was given the best development a player could ask for, sometimes at the expense of other players. Neale was given extraordinary privilege at a club having it's period of greatest success. He took his chances, worked hard and became an excellent player.

Two years into a rebuild, Brisbane offered him more money and rather than work through the difficult time with the 'kids' (as Fyfe chose to do) - he left.

The same situation occurred last year with Coniglio and Kelly at GWS and they stayed for less money than they could have received on the 'open market', demonstrating great character and loyalty. A pity Neale didn't display the same admirable traits.

As I said - dead to me.

It's a career. Whereas I'd obviously have loved it if he stayed Neale ultimately has to do what's right for him as an individual, in terms of what he can achieve and how much he can make in the limited time he has in the AFL.

I find begrudging players for wanting to move for opportunity and paychecks to about as absurd as doing it for any other career path.

It's a career. Whereas I'd obviously have loved it if he stayed Neale ultimately has to do what's right for him as an individual, in terms of what he can achieve and how much he can make in the limited time he has in the AFL.
Generally, I agree. Neale's timing and no connection to Bris outside of the extra 300k just raised a few eyebrows.

Anyway, Freo and Neale are on different paths now. It's a good opportunity for Fyfe and JLo to eye-ball players like Acres, Serong and Valente and let them know that if they work hard and take your opportunities then there's an opening available for the next A grade mid.

For mine, I think Darcy Tucker is growing as a player in Neale's absence and it gives Brayshaw and Cerra more midfield minutes to develop - every cloud.

Am I the only one that think this doesn't need it's own thread? There's a former player thread for this stuff, it's not like the OP had anything solid to even begin the thread in the first place.

in fact he was apparently offered very good money to stay. Some are behaving like jilted lovers.
Brisbane are paying him an extra $200k / year for 5 years. He has a million reasons to leave.

Am I the only one that think this doesn't need it's own thread? There's a former player thread for this stuff, it's not like the OP had anything solid to even begin the thread in the first place.

Whaaaaatttt???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back