Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt Adelaide thought they were being ruthless when they ran their preseason camp.

By the way what was the ruthlessness. Letting Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge go when well past their best?
I am at work so can't completely answer properly yet, but look at their trade history in the last 10 years.

Will reply after work, if I can.

If I was GC, I’d be offering Pendles the farm for 3 years. He would be immense as a leader who can bring others into the game.

Not that I want to lose him, but I think he is the type of Star the AFL would love to see leading the Suns.

Now that's what I call forward thinking. Pendlebury is an out and out champion of the Pies, like Hodge and Mitchell at the 'Awks. But how many years has he got left in him? Let's go crazy for the moment. Would the club entertain 2 1st round picks right now?

Hence the use of the word ‘if’ in my opening sentence. If it is true (or even seen to be true by the playing group) then it could have a negative impact.
As I said it's meat market time, player managers regularly hold clubs to ransom - the opposite is fair enough - we need men not little boys who whimper at the first sign of difficulty or unpleasantness.

The player managers have had the whip hand for a long time and too free a license from the AFL.

Consider the resources spent on finding and developing players . .

A talent scouting group.

A recruitment group.

List management people.

Player welfare staff.

Generally 2 years without any certainty if the player will repay even that initial investment.

A further 4 or 5 years helping the player reach his physical and skill peak.. . . . .

Then a player manager steps in and whisks the player away for his own profit and the club often gets a pittance of their total spend on the player.

The meat market is heavily weighted in favour of the player and their bully boy player managers.

It is time and well past it that the balance was redressed.

No doubt Adelaide thought they were being ruthless when they ran their preseason camp.

By the way what was the ruthlessness. Letting Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge go when well past their best?
Just quickly I was talking about hawks at trade period.

Not sure what the crows camp have to do with this.

Sen reporting Cox is on 600k - bloody hell.

That’s plenty over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If so that's obscene and tells me plenty of the Pies Hollywoodesque mindset USA USA USA! How many quality games has this bloke played and believe me I'm not blaming him for taking the coin? All his Christmases have come at once.

I think you have been there for a while now

Took you awhile to work that one out.

By the way what's crazy - the prospects of trading Pendlebury (by the way there is nil chance) or getting 2 1st rounders? You see, in my humble opinion, the nucleus of our next flag side is already there - DeGoey, Grundy, Moore, Stephenson. This is the time to be creative and imaginative and build a future list around this nucleus. Just wonderin how creative the club would be in its endevours. Considering trading Treloar, nothing personal there, is a positive IMO towards this goal.

So far I have been very impressed with Ned Guy, but his true test comes next year with the big 3 coming out of contract.

I think he genuinely came into the club with the cap a total mess, and he has been good at tidying things up and ensuring we retain all the key talent. No major player has left for other clubs, despite bigger deals on offer.

Whilst we haven't been super active in trading, we've still managed to bring in Roughead and Beams.

I think though a big call will need to be made on someone. The list we have is very good, but has proven 2 years in a row to just lack something. Last year it was a key defender, this year it was a key forward and a small forward. And our midfield, as good as it is, still lacks a clearance beast.

So retaining all the talent is important. I think if we have Moore, De Goey and Grundy, that we are going to continue to be a force as they are 3 players who can be A+ quality in their positions. But retaining the talent only keeps us competitive...we need to find that missing peg to bring us to a flag. So making a ruthless call on a player might be the only option. Otherwise, we need to keep finding Jordan Roughead types who come cheap and play to a high level. That doesn't happen often.
We have the troops the issue is with getting enough of them on the park together for any length of time.

Moore fit or even one of Pendles, Sidey or DeGoo fully fit and we take last years flag.

The smoking gun points to the training surface despite what Ed and the board say - spend some money on that surface.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And your inside unimpeachable understanding of our handling of this particular contract negotiation comes from . . . . where??

I'm all for healthy skepticism but there comes a time when you reach a tipping point.

The knowledge that everyone knows everything these days. As amazing as it may seem to you these issues are remarkably easy to interpret if you pay attention to the right people. I’m impressed by you reaching your tipping point! I suppose that came a while ago with injuries and blaming them for our lack of success 😂

We have the troops the issue is with getting enough of them on the park together for any length of time.

Moore fit or even one of Pendles, Sidey or DeGoo fully fit and we take last years flag.

The smoking gun points to the training surface despite what Ed and the board say - spend some money on that surface.

You could be completely on the money here.

However, if buts and maybes don't cut it and unfortuneately can't reverse the 2018 GF loss which is forever in the history books.

So by all means spend plenty on the playing surface but don't assume that this is the panacea to the injury problems. It just may be the players.

Aggressive/creating trading is a controllable. Use it.

You could be completely on the money here.

However, if buts and maybes don't cut it and unfortuneately can't reverse the 2018 GF loss which is forever in the history books.

So by all means spend plenty on the playing surface but don't assume that this is the panacea to the injury problems. It just may be the players.

Aggressive/creating trading is a controllable. Use it.
The comes a time when it causes more damage than good.

Hawthorn have been very successful over a long period of time because that is their strength/system.

Aping them without the components and skills in place is a sure recipe to become second rate.

The best teams are those that realize and develop their OWN strength to surpass the opposition strengths.

Being the best possible Collingwood is much more preferable than being a second rate Hawthorn.

As I said it's meat market time, player managers regularly hold clubs to ransom - the opposite is fair enough - we need men not little boys who whimper at the first sign of difficulty or unpleasantness.

The player managers have had the whip hand for a long time and too free a license from the AFL.

Consider the resources spent on finding and developing players . .

A talent scouting group.

A recruitment group.

List management people.

Player welfare staff.

Generally 2 years without any certainty if the player will repay even that initial investment.

A further 4 or 5 years helping the player reach his physical and skill peak.. . . . .

Then a player manager steps in and whisks the player away for his own profit and the club often gets a pittance of their total spend on the player.

The meat market is heavily weighted in favour of the player and their bully boy player managers.

It is time and well past it that the balance was redressed.

Rubbish! Look at Kelly. He is out of contract. In 99.9% of other industries he could take his skills to anyone he chooses.

But in the AFL he is restricted and must rely on his current club to do a deal with his chosen suitor. Otherwise it is back to the slave market that is the draft.

He is in the top echelon of his profession and is treated like a child.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back