Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Ned Guy and his team deserve massive kudos for their work in retaining our best players on significantly less coin than they could be making elsewhere.

He took over from the fiasco that was Gubby, whose highlights included trading Witts out for picks 44 and 62, Cloke out for 76, Marley out for 105, and paying big dollars for Wells and Mayne. Not the easiest position from which to take the reigns.

Since then, Ned has been in charge of a list management team who has:

- re-signed Jordan De Goey on less coin despite a $5 million "Godfather offer" from North Melbourne
- re-signed Darcy Moore on less coin despite very strong, Joe Daniher-level interest from Sydney. Many journos thought he was gone.
- re-signed Tom Langdon on less coin despite Sydney's interest. Again, most journos had him leaving.
- reportedly has Brayden Sier set to re-sign despite strong rumours of his departure
- re-signed Jamie Elliott despite a significantly bigger contract offer from Brisbane

During that period, we haven't lost anybody of note.

If he can snare Brodie's signature, it's pretty much the perfect record from his two years at the helm.

Maybe not all of it is Ned's doing - perhaps the culture we're building at Collingwood is conducive to players wanting to stay, even for significant unders.

Whatever it is that has our players looking to stick around, long may it continue!
Re-signed Treloar (4 more years, 5 in total)
Re-signed Adams (5 years)
Re-signed Maynard

Without knowing the dollar figures on each of these contracts, or what the alternative would've been on the trade market (or in Elliot's case - Comp picks, though that's a bit clearer) - it's hard for us to accurately judge each decision.

Our list still seems unbalanced - we have lots of overlap of guys with similar skill-sets, and still quite a few big gaps in our 22 (though Darcy coming on has filled one of those - whilst healthy). Would making some tough decisions on some of these guys (particularly if selling high) been able to address that? Not necessarily - but the question needs to be asked: We are not a premiership team right now. Is just keeping our list together enough to be considered a success?

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendlebury clone? Apparently, he played basketball too.
I didn’t know that.

Pendlebury played basketball?

If he did, it’s been kept very quiet.

:D

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has a much more convincing pseudonym for Thursday night local hoops perhaps?
I think you’re right.

At least the media hasn’t found out yet; knowing them, they’d mention it every ten seconds.

Pendlebury clone? Apparently, he played basketball too.
Got a source for that, never before heard that Pendles can play basketball

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Massive oversimplification of what took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The over simplification was deliberate because I didn’t want to trawl over old ground.

But the club had offered him a contract just prior to that relatively meaningless incident in the grand scheme of things, and plenty of punters were suggesting the offer should be withdrawn because of it.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
So we might lose Aish, Berg, Wills, Phillips, Sackers retired, Wells retired - surely we cannot still have salary cap issues?

I find it hard to believe that more successful clubs have no issues?

Tigers offloaded fringe players but landed Lynch.

You are being facetious.

I was talking about Cox being signed on apparently 500k and having another 1 game clause
And people wonder why we don’t have salary cap room. Signing players like the above on that type of coin is ludicrous.

Supposedly having to get rid of players to free up money to be able to resign a few guns should not be a toast thread, it should be a roast thread.

Going to be fun next year watching our new first year draftee depth cover the numerous injuries we will surely get.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
Reports are Geelong will pay Josh Jenkins $200k a year and he will cost them a late 4th rounder for a trade.
If we finish this trade period with Darcy cameron as the only addition to our KP stocks, then Ned Guy can f@#$ right off.

Livid!

Have to agree that we still not have addressed our needs.

I understand that it may have been productive for our future trade periods but it’s frustrating as we are relatively close to the ultimate prize.

Back