Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
True. I stand corrected on that.

They obtained Vardy but he didn’t cost too much.

But the salary cap doesn’t seem to be a problem in recruiting who they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be thinking of Jetta (traded basically for Sinclair) who was a big trade at the time and would've been on a fair bit of coin.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazing effort keeping together a bunch of blokes that haven't managed to win a flag at the biggest club in the game. They were going out the door in droves in the previous 15 years, glad Ned and his team put a stop to it.

Nevermind that we completely dropped the ball with Lynch and signed our lives away for Dayne Beams because, hey, we managed to lock down 18 game superstar Phil Inn! Big ups.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
The worth of a list manager is in the long term, the deals, who we go after ect.
So far so good, but a long way yet to go

Agreed but I also think the worth of a list manager is being able to identify and dispassionately trade away players who still have good currency if a quality trade opportunity presents itself or can be created.

Ned Guy and his team deserve massive kudos for their work in retaining our best players on significantly less coin than they could be making elsewhere.

He took over from the fiasco that was Gubby, whose highlights included trading Witts out for picks 44 and 62, Cloke out for 76, Marley out for 105, and paying big dollars for Wells and Mayne. Not the easiest position from which to take the reigns.

Since then, Ned has been in charge of a list management team who has:

- re-signed Jordan De Goey on less coin despite a $5 million "Godfather offer" from North Melbourne
- re-signed Darcy Moore on less coin despite very strong, Joe Daniher-level interest from Sydney. Many journos thought he was gone.
- re-signed Tom Langdon on less coin despite Sydney's interest. Again, most journos had him leaving.
- reportedly has Brayden Sier set to re-sign despite strong rumours of his departure
- re-signed Jamie Elliott despite a significantly bigger contract offer from Brisbane

During that period, we haven't lost anybody of note.

If he can snare Brodie's signature, it's pretty much the perfect record from his two years at the helm.

Maybe not all of it is Ned's doing - perhaps the culture we're building at Collingwood is conducive to players wanting to stay, even for significant unders.

Whatever it is that has our players looking to stick around, long may it continue!
I’ll drink to that.

Amazing effort keeping together a bunch of blokes that haven't managed to win a flag at the biggest club in the game. They were going out the door in droves in the previous 15 years, glad Ned and his team put a stop to it.

Nevermind that we completely dropped the ball with Lynch and signed our lives away for Dayne Beams because, hey, we managed to lock down 18 game superstar Phil Inn! Big ups.
Yet.

Agreed but I also think the worth of a list manager is being able to identify and dispassionately trade away players who still have good currency if a quality trade opportunity presents itself or can be created.
Yes, but the problem many on here cannot understand is when they are contracted, the player has a say in it. And if it’s no, it will not happen.

Ridiculously early kudos and celebration.

Your list of achievements is really just a list of rumours.

- re-signed Jordan De Goey on less coin despite a rumoured $5 million "Godfather offer" from North Melbourne
- re-signed Darcy Moore rumoured to be on less coin despite very strong, Joe Daniher-level interest from Sydney. Many journos thought he was gone.
- re-signed Tom Langdon rumoured to be on less coin despite Sydney's interest. Again, most journos had him leaving.
- rumoured to have Brayden Sier set to re-sign despite strong rumours of his departure (is this even a rumour of achievement)
- re-signed Jamie Elliott despite a rumoured to be significantly bigger contract offer from Brisbane

The achievements so far are:

Signing the blokes above plus a few others - god knows the prices.
Trading in Beams for the price he paid. :drunk:
Trading in Roughy for a great price.:)
Trading some picks to increase points for Free Agency.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, but the problem many on here cannot understand is when they are contracted, the player has a say in it. And if it’s no, it will not happen.

That's interesting. So that is absolutely the case? If the players says No - it's over?

I guess that this is what happened with Treloar regarding Gold Coast's interest. Because I think Gold Coast's first round pick would be very much in Collingwood's interests and it would seem that Collingwood may have felt the same way.

That's interesting. So that is absolutely the case? If the players says No - it's over?

I guess that this is what happened with Treloar regarding Gold Coast's interest. Because I think Gold Coast's first round pick would be very much in Collingwood's interests and it would seem that Collingwood may have felt the same way.
Remember when we wanted Witts in the deal with gws, contracted, said no.
We had to find another way

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Remember when we wanted Witts in the deal with gws, contracted, said no.
We had to find another way

I don't remember (old age) but thanks.

I guess the non commercial angle is that if a player knows he was considered as part of a trade, how would he feel? Work harder to prove the club wrong. In Treloar's case, I would suggest that he works as hard as anyone out there. I wonder how he might have felt?

I guess the non commercial angle is that if a player knows he was considered as part of a trade, how would he feel? Work harder to prove the club wrong. In Treloar's case, I would suggest that he works as hard as anyone out there. I wonder how he might have felt?
I would assume, without knowing him at all, pretty shitty at it.
I would be. We forget that there is a human element to all of this.

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

Bingo. The bar is set worringly low around here. Retaining players at Collingwood isn't really a laudable achievement in my opinion. How many players that we have wanted to retain have we actually lost in the last 20 years? Daisy Thomas is the main one, clearly had a falling out with Buckley and was in the MM camp, so pretty much unavoidable. And then maybe Dayne Beams? His father was gravely ill and he ended up coming back anyway.

People acting like it's an amazing feat to keep Grundy, Moore and JDG together clearly have very low expectations and short memories (we kept our 2010 list together without much drama and that was a better group than the current one). Why should we be struggling to retain anybody? It's not like we've won two out of the last three flags. If we are actually as tight up in our cap as has been reported, I'm not sure our list managers should be being lauded at all (although a large portion of that can probably be attributed to pre-Guy era).

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would assume, without knowing him at all, pretty s**tty at it.
I would be. We forget that there is a human element to all of this.

I agree regarding the human element. However, that notwithstanding, I think it would have been a very good deal medium - long term. And you?

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why don’t we bump this thread when Grundy, Moore and De Goey are signed next year?

I agree regarding the human element. However, that notwithstanding, I think it would have been a very good deal medium - long term. And you?
If he wanted out yes, but l would play treloar on the wing, not in the guts, if that happens then no.
I like that we inquired, but no deal. The chemistry of the group is very important. Get that right, and keep it, we will be there about again next year.
Break it, no chance.
We payed a great deal for treloar, then to trade him in his prime not that long after we got him is just bs.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

If it’s a younger player they might feel slighted, but players that have been in the system a while would know that’s how the business works, no different to when they sound out other clubs come contact time.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think Pendles will be chasing big money on his next contract if he decides to go on. I reckon he'd likely go to year by year extensions and be looking for a lot less. He's had his big payday.

If I was GC, I’d be offering Pendles the farm for 3 years. He would be immense as a leader who can bring others into the game.

Not that I want to lose him, but I think he is the type of Star the AFL would love to see leading the Suns.

Last edited:
If I was GC, I’d be offering Pendles the farm for 3 years. He would be immense as a leader who can bring others into the game.

Not that I wasn’t to lose him, but I think he is the type of Star the AFL would love to see leading the Suns.
F*ck the AFL.

It would have been a crap deal. Don’t fall for media spin.

Not that I wasn’t to lose him, but I think he is the type of Star the AFL would love to see leading the Suns.
Why would he go there, at his stage of his career he would want to play finals.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Hang on.

First - you should do yourself a favour and listen to Pendles' podcast, because JDG was a guest on it and confirmed himself North's offer.

All the others - well most aren't going to just come out and say other figures, but despite what people think of the media if MANY different outlets run with something it's probably fair to say they've been confirmed as more than rumour.

Hang on.

First - you should do yourself a favour and listen to Pendles' podcast, because JDG was a guest on it and confirmed himself North's offer.

All the others - well most aren't going to just come out and say other figures, but despite what people think of the media if MANY different outlets run with something it's probably fair to say they've been confirmed as more than rumour.

If one of them runs with it, the rest run with "reported". Add up a club's "reported" salaries and it doesn't fit in the cap.

Back