Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people suggesting he has good core strength? I would think that is his main weakness and is a liability in every position, especially defence.

Up forward is the only place we can hide players who are pushed off the ball so easily.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perceived manic pressure.
Is it more valuable up forward where he puts himself in the wrong place all the time, or in defence where at least he would be getting in the opposition forwards personal space?

Most thought this was the super draft so you would have given a lot of currency than usual to move up then (like what Port Power did).
For good reason! Otherwise you waste picks on spuds like Ned.
We wasted the currency due to absolute incompetence.
What is Ned worth now? He's not even good enough to play Claud the Crow.. it's an embarrassment he gets a game.

No, isn’t it up to the player to succeed regardless of role or how others impact their performance?

Not sure if serious?

I always thought that was why we had Coaches - to get players to succeed.

I know one thing. Coaches consistently rewarding mediocrity and green lighting shitness only breeds mediocrity, shitness, complacency and resentment.

For good reason! Otherwise you waste picks on spuds like Ned.
We wasted the currency due to absolute incompetence.
What is Ned worth now? He's not even good enough to play Claud the Crow.. it's an embarrassment he gets a game.
Well, they had a chance to get B.King and Smith (although a massive flight risk) so.......and you would have had to given a lot more than a late 1st rounder (border 2nd rounder) to move up the draft, GCS was asking for 3 1st rounders for pick 3.

Last edited:
I have defended him in the past but.. it now become impossible to do so any longer.

has to be dropped. he literally adds nothing to the team.

and I no longer even see a player thats gonna make it as an AFL player. he’s just a scrapper. I thought he might start adding other strings to that bow and become more than just a scrapper but its just not looking that way.

unless he can miraculously turn it around I can see another bust unfortunately.

Will do ok at a club that runs more than 4 through the midfield.

What on earth did Hamish see in him that made him worthy of being drafted in the first round?

I can’t see one attribute that he is elite in. A plodder of the highest order.
I remember being surprised on draft night because he didn't appear to be a first round type player.

Backed him in because I didn't know much about him or how good he was.

Turns out my instinct is looking pretty good. You can pick up McHenry types readily in the 3rd or 4th rounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's too small, always has been, and hasn't added any height or notable bulk or core strength since he was drafted. Doesn't have the skills of any type to compensate for being too lightweight to play inside at AFL level. Has no smarts at all. It's incredibly tough to understand what Ogilvie was thinking.

He's too small, always has been, and hasn't added any height or notable bulk or core strength since he was drafted. Doesn't have the skills of any type to compensate for being too lightweight to play inside at AFL level. Has no smarts at all. It's incredibly tough to understand what Ogilvie was thinking.
You forgot can’t kick beyond 30m

Gets a hard wrap here while Jimmy Rowe the softest player on our list gets little to no heat

Yes Ned makes errors but he cracks in and works hard to get back and help the defenders and slow mids

Whereas Jimmy looks for cheap possessions and to get on the end of other team mates work

Ned was one of our better 2nd half players

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wowee that dropped mark followed by the HTB was pathetic.

He is too small to break a tackle like that.

Often today he would deliberately go second to the ball to instead be ready for a tackle. Looks great on the pressure stats but doesn't help us kick goals.

Get ready for the "But Rowe was worse" people. Yes, Rowe was worse but this is a Mchenry thread.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gets a hard wrap here while Jimmy Rowe the softest player on our list gets little to no heat

Yes Ned makes errors but he cracks in and works hard to get back and help the defenders and slow mids

Whereas Jimmy looks for cheap possessions and to get on the end of other team mates work

Ned was one of our better 2nd half players

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Effort alone doesn't make an AFL player, which neither of them are.

He's been such a disappointment but that's only due to where he was drafted. As a late pick or a rookie he'd be passable. As a first rounder, it's excruciating.

This club is stuffed. Recruitment is so dire and the club does nothing about it. Whatever scraps of talent we do find, Nicks will suck all the confidence and flare out of their game anyway.

Seriously. When does this spud's contract run out? Watching him run around doing absolutely nothing is sooooooooo painful. What in God's name possessed our recruitment team in picking him up in the 1st. round???
If they wanted to try him out they should've picked him up in the rookie list.
What a waste ☹️
Like Nicks, he has another ******* 2 years after this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back