Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being surprised on draft night because he didn't appear to be a first round type player.

Backed him in because I didn't know much about him or how good he was.

Turns out my instinct is looking pretty good. You can pick up McHenry types readily in the 3rd or 4th rounds
Riley Knight was and is better

What on earth did Hamish see in him that made him worthy of being drafted in the first round?

I can’t see one attribute that he is elite in. A plodder of the highest order.
Agree 100%.

First round picks should be on genuine talent, not players that try hard.

Agree 100%.

First round picks should be on genuine talent, not players that try hard.
To be honest, he seems like the sort of player that might get picked up from one of the state leagues in a mid season draft because he tries his guts out and it might be worth a punt to see if he could translate that to AFL level. You might also look at him in a rookie draft as a speculative pick

Unfortunately to date he looks a huge bust for a 1st rounder along with McAsey and likely Jones to go with Gallucci.

What on earth did Hamish see in him that made him worthy of being drafted in the first round?

I can’t see one attribute that he is elite in. A plodder of the highest order.
He and Jones were both selected based on being good kids rather than footballers. Don’t use first round picks on those types. We could have had butters and duursma that draft

His best skill is running his guts out and just accumulating by sheer will of effort. He has had 3-4 years to add another string to his bow, even just improving his handball skills would make him semi-dangerous, but he hasn't, and we don't need another high work rate small mid who accumulates lots of non-damaging possessions.

As much as I like him, unless he somehow manages to work out how to burst from stoppages like Neal, or handball like Oliver, the AFC is the only place in the AFL that he is a 1st choice midfielder, and even then probably not for long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Type of personality I love at the club. Unfortunately it's a bit embarrassing when he sucks so bad. Genuinely wanted to cringe when he got caught by Sicily

14 touches, a goal, 5 tackles, 30 pressure acts, 86% disposal efficiency, 5 score involvements, 370 metres gained and 6 inside 50s. Still only 21 with less than 50 games to his name, being played out of position (was drafted as a mid) in the hardest position on the ground, for one of the worst/youngest teams in the comp. Glad you lot have found your new whipping boy now that Mackay is gone xo

14 touches, a goal, 5 tackles, 30 pressure acts, 86% disposal efficiency, 5 score involvements, 370 metres gained and 6 inside 50s. Still only 21 with less than 50 games to his name, being played out of position (was drafted as a mid) in the hardest position on the ground, for one of the worst/youngest teams in the comp. Glad you lot have found your new whipping boy now that Mackay is gone xo
Omg shoot me now

He’s actually had a solid second half, he looks a lot better up ground than as a forward.
Correct, he is not a forward... which is a common issue at our club for small forwards.

Its good that you've piped up after his best half of the year to prove we are all wrong about him and are being too harsh.

Certainly had a much better 2nd half, but was completely missing in the 1st half when we needed him the most.

Rowe and McHenry both look better further up the field because when they go past a certain point on the field their opponents don't follow them
I don't really think their opponents follow them anywhere.

If you are a small forward that doesn't kick goals, the opponent is running off you at every opportunity.

When they see our small forwards, they get enthused and are liking their chances. They are probably looking at the short people thinking "go your hardest", they'll cop the occasional goal, but on the whole, they know they can just focus on drive from half back or covering the area and intercepting.

It's a dice they are willing to roll against our small forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back