Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea how you have such a vocal hate boner for Keays who is capable of doing good things meanwhile Ned with zero upside has gotten a free pass from you? Especially given Keays was a free hit. It baffles me.
How old is Ben?

And

How old is Ned?.

Once you answer those two questions.. you will be well on the way to answering your question.

One’s been in the AFL system at an AFL club nearly twice as long as the other..

Treating them the same would be dumb. Ben should’ve remained delisted when the Lions struck him from their list and Ned, if he continues on his current trajectory, should be delisted when his current contract ends.

And I don’t “hate” ben at all. I just think Ben is very poorly skilled, poor at decision making and, often, a complete *ing liabilty..
His only real attribute on a footy field is that he’s a scrapper that never gives up.

I’m dumbfounded that there is still people here that have been watching our games this year and still cant see it.. makes me wonder if they actually know which player he is.

Bens the one that looks like a chicken running around with its head cut off wildly handpassing and kicking the football to no one in particular..

How old is Ben?

And

How old is Ned?.

Once you answer those two questions.. you will be well on the way to answering your question.

In 2 weeks Ned will be 22. Are you telling me we can't strike a line through any 22 years olds in the country because they're not old enough? How long can someone do literally zero good things before we can write them off?

I’m dumbfounded that there is still people here that have been watching our games this year and still cant see it.. makes me wonder if they actually know which player he is.

Everyone can see his poor disposal but maybe you're the one blind to him doing good things? Coaches give him votes, ref's have given him votes and he is still capable of ticking over the stats sheet. Ned does literally none of these things but you're giving him a free pass?

And I don’t “hate” ben at all. I just think Ben is very poorly skilled, poor at decision making and, often, a complete f*n liabilty..
His only real attribute on a footy field is that he’s a scrapper that never gives up.

No that's the most literal definition of Ned I have ever heard. Ben can still win his own ball and lay a tackle, Ned cannot do anything.

He’s probably got the best out of himself but he’s just not up to it. Offers very little with ball in hand. It’s time to see if another young player can do better.

Another poster suggested that Ned with his tackling and core strength should be used as a defender, didn't mind the suggestion as all
Are people suggesting he has good core strength? I would think that is his main weakness and is a liability in every position, especially defence.

Up forward is the only place we can hide players who are pushed off the ball so easily.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are people suggesting he has good core strength? I would think that is his main weakness and is a liability in every position, especially defence.

Up forward is the only place we can hide players who are pushed off the ball so easily.

Not quick enough, gives away dumb clumsy free kicks, poor decision making and disposal, couldn’t think of a worse position for him

Not quick enough, gives away dumb clumsy free kicks, poor decision making and disposal, couldn’t think of a worse position for him
His disposal seems to be decent. He is a nice low kick but very rarely gets time or space to show this off.

Half forward is the spot for him (if he is to make it) but he needs to get in some ripping form, build some core strength and learn to kick over 30 metres.

He is a fair way off.

His disposal seems to be decent. He is a nice low kick but very rarely gets time or space to show this off.

Half forward is the spot for him (if he is to make it) but he needs to get in some ripping form, build some core strength and learn to kick over 30 metres.

He is a fair way off.

Kicks look good but do they hit targets?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's having an incredibly barren streak in the free kicks against stat, normally his strongest(sic) area. 2 weeks without conceding one and only one the week before that. Amazingly he was now won more free kicks in 2022 than conceded. (He was 9-17 after the Brisbane match, now 22-21 across the season.)

Last edited:
He's having an incredibly barren streak in the free kicks against stat, normally his strongest(sic) area. 2 weeks without conceding one and only one the week before that. Amazingly he was now won more free kicks in 2022 than conceded. (He was 9-17 after the Brisbane match, now 22-21 across the season.)
So what you're saying is that since the Brisbane game, Ned is 13-4 free kicks for and against. Good for him.

And...there goes the thread. Who said he hasn't improved 😜

So what you're saying is that since the Brisbane game, Ned is 13-4 free kicks for and against. Good for him.

We can build a Premiership team around him now!

On a serious note, if those stats are correct, he's done a good job correcting that fault, I'll pay more attention to him from now on

Unironically it is a big improvement. Free Kicks conceded was a huge weakness of his and given the competition for his role in the team and the apparent fungibility of those who play there to the crows, it's probably the difference between being selected or not.

His 2021 season was the 16th worst for any Crows player in Frees Against. The other seasons in the top 20 fall into 3 lose categories:
  • Those who are in a lot of contests, win a lot of ball and get lots of FKs both for and against (Thompson, McDermott, Sloane)
  • "Hard" players (Weidemann, Ricciuto 1995)
  • Jarman Brothers
McHenry is none of those and just appears to like giving away free kicks for no reason.

So it's a no to Eddie Betts?
That was only on his left foot though that he couldn't kick 40

200w.gif

I still think there’s something there, we saw it in the back end of last year. I wonder if atm he’s being rewarded at selection for being the high intensity, high pressure guy, and therefore that’s all he’s worried about. I’d love to see Nicks drop him to the twos and tell him just to worry about getting plenty of footy and being creative with it. He was drafted as a midfielder/forward but he’s only ever really played that pressure forward role. His decision making and evasiveness was one of his supposed strengths when we drafted him but we’ve only really seen glimpses of that at AFL level. Put him in the SANFL, play him as a midfielder, even half back maybe, and see if he can start developing that part of his game.

I still think there’s something there, we saw it in the back end of last year. I wonder if atm he’s being rewarded at selection for being the high intensity, high pressure guy, and therefore that’s all he’s worried about. I’d love to see Nicks drop him to the twos and tell him just to worry about getting plenty of footy and being creative with it. He was drafted as a midfielder/forward but he’s only ever really played that pressure forward role. His decision making and evasiveness was one of his supposed strengths when we drafted him but we’ve only really seen glimpses of that at AFL level. Put him in the SANFL, play him as a midfielder, even half back maybe, and see if he can start developing that part of his game.
Fair call.
I've been suggesting a tagger role but irrespective of any new role for Ned, he needs one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back