Need help. Have I missed something with regards to Gary Ablett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
While watching the ABC24 News this morning at breakfast, the story came on about the Aussie DJ, Adam Neat (professional name Adam Sky) dying in Kuta, Bali.

Because I was eating in a busy work mess hall with a lot of other people, I was unable to hear what they were saying, but they have the closed captions turned on down the bottom. I was reading the script as it came up on the screen.

When they were describing how he died, the text came up saying that he had 'Gary Abletted' through a glass screen door, severed an artery and bled out.

Surely a typo of some sort, or is being 'Gary Abletted' a thing and I'm just a silly oldie who's not up with the times?

Last edited:
While watching the ABC24 News this morning at breakfast, the story came on about the Aussie DJ, Adam Neat (professional name Adam Sky) dying in Kuta, Bali.

Because I was eating in a busy work mess hall with a lot of other people, I was unable to hear what they were saying, but they have the closed captions turned on down the bottom. I was reading the script as it came up on the screen.

When they were describing how he died, the text came up saying that he had 'Gary Abletted' through a glass screen door, severed an artery and bled out.

Surely a typo of some sort, or is being 'Gary Abletted' a thing and I'm just a silly oldie who's not up with the times.

Steven Tingay went through a glass door which ruined his career.

Anthony Stevens nearly died standing outside the Redback Hotel in Flemington rd. Nth. Melb. Forget the year.

If l remember correctly Mick Martyn leaned back against an upstairs window which cracked and threw big shards of glass down onto the footpath. Piece sliced open his neck and he was bleeding out literally.
Shannon Grants brother rushed him straight across the road to the R.M.H.

Lucky, lucky boy. Think he had 72 stitches.

Anthony Stevens nearly died standing outside the Redback Hotel in Flemington rd. Nth. Melb. Forget the year.

If l remember correctly Mick Martyn leaned back against an upstairs window which cracked and threw big shards of glass down onto the footpath. Piece sliced open his neck and he was bleeding out literally.
Shannon Grants brother rushed him straight across the road to the R.M.H.

Lucky, lucky boy. Think he had 72 stitches.

Remember it well. I think at the time they were saying that if they weren't across the road from the hospital he would have bled out. It certainly left a nasty scar.

When I was in Bali years ago and told a hawker I was from Melbourne he asked me if I knew his best friend from there; "Mr Gary Abbalot". Maybe it's a Balinese thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Closed captions are apparently done by a stenographer - I thought it might be computerised by now. Not sure what they thought they heard and I can't belive someone would have said it.

Maybe 'catapulted' through the door?

They might have been doing some stuff on Gary Ablett's report for striking and mixed them up. Very strange though.

Closed captions are apparently done by a stenographer - I thought it might be computerised by now. Not sure what they thought they heard and I can't belive someone would have said it.

that only really works when the software can be trained to a specific voice, so is useless for most live television (most use of speech to text is actually the captioner/transcriber listening and repeating what they hear)
stenos would be working with a 'dictionary' of learnt terms/names, so it's possible Gary Ablett is in there and a mistake in their shorthand brought it up. catapulted sounds like a good guess.

They might have been doing some stuff on Gary Ablett's report for striking and mixed them up. Very strange though.

Yep I think catapulted seems more likely than garrotted since, as someone else said, he bled out from severing an artery in his arm and not his neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back