Dannerz

All Australian
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Aston Villa
My brother wants to have his PS3 connected to the internet 24/7.

The problem is he has to bring it inside my parents place, as he lives in a converted garage, to connect it to play online.

I fiddled around trying to get it to connect wirelessly, but the signal strength is too weak to play online sufficiently.

Now he has a phone jack in his room, is it possible to connect via that without a modem, or does he just need a line filter or something along those lines.

Any advice from someone a little more techno-savvy than me would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Dan

If your willing to spend around $70-80 get a wireless router. The most simple way to connect the internet with others.

Already tried that but the signal is too weak to play online well, as the signal has to travel through several walls, including brick walls

you need ethernet over power

the signal goes thru the exisiting power wiring. (yes really)

$199 from HT.com.au, probably cheaper elsewhere

_F869F681-6456-44B5-8C24-3A4D61BFBCDA.jpg

NetComm NP285 Turbo HomePlug - Bridge - EN, Fast EN, HomePlug 1.0 (pack of 2 )

The Turbo HomePlug is the next generation of the popular HomePlug Ethernet over Power Adaptor. It increases data transfer rates up to 85Mbps - making it a powerful and simple networking solution for homes and small business. Now you can create a Local Area Network (LAN) over the home or office power points without the expense and complexity of dedicated network cabling. You simply connect the device with an Ethernet cable and plug it into a power point. The Turbo HomePlug is also ideal for streaming digital media content over your power lines e.g. send digital video files from your computer to a set-top box to play on a TV.

This product is a NP285 Turbo HomePlug Ethernet Over Power Starter Kit - Twin Pack.

http://www.ht.com.au/N/Networking-Routers-Firewalls-Ethernet-over-Power-Adaptors/list.hts

My brother wants to have his PS3 connected to the internet 24/7.

The problem is he has to bring it inside my parents place, as he lives in a converted garage, to connect it to play online.

I fiddled around trying to get it to connect wirelessly, but the signal strength is too weak to play online sufficiently.

Now he has a phone jack in his room, is it possible to connect via that without a modem, or does he just need a line filter or something along those lines.

Any advice from someone a little more techno-savvy than me would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Dan
Depending on how far it is to his garage you might just want to run a simple Ethernet cable, you can get them to about 30 metres long(Not 100% if it is the longest) for only $20.

There is a place called Computer World that has them for that much if you want to look, or you could try Ebay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back