Negative Travel Experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Been incredibly lucky compared to others in here. But the two closest things I van think of are...

1. Oktoberfest. Which I renamed Oksoberfest. First time in Europe. A couple of days in. My wife had done it before on a tour and loved it. She was stoked to take me there. Little did we know that you 1. Cannot be served beer if you aren't at a table (in a country where drinking is legal in the street mind you), and 2. You can apparently book tables for the last weekend of it despite all the research we did beforehand saying you couldn't. y grand total of beers at Oktoberfest after getting dressed up in the gear and everything = 0. We walked around every tent and beer hall in the place for about 3 hours before giving up. Luckily the following morning we got up at 5:00am and went to a bar to watch the Dogs beat the Swans in the grand final, which remains possibly my favourite overseas moment. What a difference a day makes haha.

2. Flying to Sydney for a concert (we live in a regional city). Night before we get a text saying the flight details had changed. Looked like the flight time had been brought forward 10 minutes. No worries. Arrive at the airport to check in to be told 'oh you weren't told the flight was cancelled either?' This was at 5:30 in the morning. Apparentlly we weren't the only ones who hadn't been informed. They had booked us on another flight that night at 6:30 but the concert started then. They had two seats left on a midday flight and gave us though (why we weren't given them in the first place I don't know). I felt really bad because the whole weekend away and the concert were a Christmas present to the mrs, and we nearly missed the main reason we were going.

That first one is harsh. Fing harsh. I spend a bit of time in Munich and on the subway on Friday nights I have occasionally seen groups of guys carrying a crate (actual plastic crate) of tall beers. They pick one up each, drink from the bottle and put the empty back in the crate. I assume this is a way of preventing thirst during pub crawl transitions.

That first one is harsh. Fing harsh. I spend a bit of time in Munich and on the subway on Friday nights I have occasionally seen groups of guys carrying a crate (actual plastic crate) of tall beers. They pick one up each, drink from the bottle and put the empty back in the crate. I assume this is a way of preventing thirst during pub crawl transitions.

Yep and we went back a few weeks later and did exactly that. Drank on all the public transport.
More beers on trains than at a beer festival haha.

Got woken from a very hungover sleep at 5am in Tokyo to a magnitude 6 earthquake. I was travelling alone at the time and scared the s**t out of me. North happened but I was halfway down the hall of my apartment complex in my jocks. A typhoon hit 2 days later which was fun as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon that was Golden week 2014. It was 5.15 and I was doing a phone conference and packing my suitcase at the same time. I still think I was in a stronger one on a saturday afternoon about 11 years prior, but I was much more spooked for the 2014 one.

Had to eat Maccas in Cantania because I got off the train at 2ish and everything was in siesta.
What a horrible food experience that was for such a great little town.

I got stoned in Christiana and ate a huge box of chicken nuggets and a McChicken when I was in Denmark. I ******* hate McDonald’s. And probably hate weed even more. Was pretty sick tho.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back