Negative Travel Experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Bro. Absolutely. Not one of the million posters who have commented on a thread have ever posted that before. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

And we are all cleansed and cured. We should all get a nice cushy high paying job.

Do you hear that everyone???? Stop pludging and voting (whatever the leftie party of the day is). Get out there and work. Work Work Work. But don't lynch seeds in the process that would be a ridiculous lawless society that no oneon this board would ever advocate.
Um i was saying that the drudgery of work will get your motivated to go on holidays again. Was not making a comment about you being a slacker and not contributing to society. Talk about misinterpreting a post.

Um i was saying that the drudgery of work will get your motivated to go on holidays again. Was not making a comment about you being a slacker and not contributing to society. Talk about misinterpreting a post.

True. Sorry. Just disappointed and may be a while till my next break.

People threatening to shoot me in San Francisco
People wanting to mug me in Vegas
Cop being a prick in Hungary
Restauranter ripping me off in Budapest
Toll road operator ripping me off in Yugoslavia
Taxi Driver trying to rip me off in Athens

millions of great experiences though and the bad ones become good stories

Last edited:

While we all love travelling and nothing beats getting away.

What happens if the s**t hits the fan and things go horribly wrong? And you never want to travel again?

Do you take a rest? Go again? Or take advice?

I really am at the point I never want to go away agian.

So how do you recover so to speak?
What exactly is the reason for you? Boredom, lack of money, lack of variety, exhaustion, lack of meaning. What sort of trips have you been taking? Perhaps changing it up and doing a completely different type of holiday.

What exactly is the reason for you? Boredom, lack of money, lack of variety, exhaustion, lack of meaning. What sort of trips have you been taking? Perhaps changing it up and doing a completely different type of holiday.

Love trips but the last one went very badly on top of a really shitty year and what was supposed to be a nice end and break has left me down. I'll offer what works for me at a later time.

The only negative experiences I have had have only made me more mindful for future trips I take as I do alot of research beforehand and book everything directly myself.

My first trip to the US I went to Vegas for a friends wedding and a guy I was friends with from here lived in Washington at the time so I told him to meet me there. He spent all 3 days trying to score crack, note to self, never again.

Same trip I flew from NYC to LA 2 days before I was due to leave LA. When I got to LAX and gave the shuttle bus driver the hotel address he said he couldn't take me that far. Turns out the hotel I booked was in San Fran :oops: I had found a good hotel on tripadvisor but selected the wrong location when booking it. Thankfully i had put aside money in case of emergency. Now i know to always double check these things before I book.

The only negative experiences I have had have only made me more mindful for future trips I take as I do alot of research beforehand and book everything directly myself.

My first trip to the US I went to Vegas for a friends wedding and a guy I was friends with from here lived in Washington at the time so I told him to meet me there. He spent all 3 days trying to score crack, note to self, never again.

Same trip I flew from NYC to LA 2 days before I was due to leave LA. When I got to LAX and gave the shuttle bus driver the hotel address he said he couldn't take me that far. Turns out the hotel I booked was in San Fran :oops: I had found a good hotel on tripadvisor but selected the wrong location when booking it. Thankfully i had put aside money in case of emergency. Now i know to always double check these things before I book.

I was flying out of JFK once but last minute decided to stay at the Newark Hilton instead of hostel in Manhattan. Yeah would have cost a few hundred to change flights. So caught a cab to JFK. the look on the cabbies face was priceless considering Newark is across the road pretty much :D

Vancouver being covered in wildfire smoke for the time I was there.

When I was about three days into my first ever foray into Europe, I ended up pretty pissed by myself in a Stockholm nightclub. Needing a piss. No one could understand my accent amongst the beers in me and the music around me and I desperately desperately needed to go. I couldn't even find the exit and I could not find the old 'W/C sign' anywhere. Opened the only door I could find and proceeded to walk into a concrete room with the door locked behind me.

Phone didn't have signal so I couldn't message anyone back home, it was a club so no one could hear me banging, and there were stairs but... you needed a two metre ladder to get to them – they were half-way up the wall. I have no idea how but I somehow ended up jumping onto the first landing, pulling myself up, walking up the stairs and exiting right where the bouncer was and the line started...

Bouncer gave me a 'what the *?!' and told me he was impressed but no, I wasn't getting back in.

Looking back I probably should have died in there. The oxygen would've been running out pretty quickly.

When I was about three days into my first ever foray into Europe, I ended up pretty pissed by myself in a Stockholm nightclub. Needing a piss. No one could understand my accent amongst the beers in me and the music around me and I desperately desperately needed to go. I couldn't even find the exit and I could not find the old 'W/C sign' anywhere. Opened the only door I could find and proceeded to walk into a concrete room with the door locked behind me.

Phone didn't have signal so I couldn't message anyone back home, it was a club so no one could hear me banging, and there were stairs but... you needed a two metre ladder to get to them – they were half-way up the wall. I have no idea how but I somehow ended up jumping onto the first landing, pulling myself up, walking up the stairs and exiting right where the bouncer was and the line started...

Bouncer gave me a 'what the ****?!' and told me he was impressed but no, I wasn't getting back in.

Looking back I probably should have died in there. The oxygen would've been running out pretty quickly.

Uhhmmmmmmmmmm minus nearly pissing your pants actually sounds like you had a blast.

We've had insurance claims on about 5 overseas trips in the last 6-7 yrs.

Hurricane Irma forced us out of Cuba last year as it was incoming. Given the lack of communication to the outside work we only heard about it by chance and got one of the last flights out with our 18 month old daughter. Cuba got hammered after that.

Large earthquake smashed an island called Bohol where we were due to stay in 2 days on our honeymoon. We were in Singapore at the time and had to book somewhere else on the fly. Ended up in Hawaii a week earlier than we intended so wasn't all bad.

Another we were on route to NYC from Oz. Over the pacific our flight from LA to NYC got cancelled due to a blizzard and cancelled all flights into the city for days. We luckily had 10 nights booked so still got an week in.

Got woken from a very hungover sleep at 5am in Tokyo to a magnitude 6 earthquake. I was travelling alone at the time and scared the s**t out of me. North happened but I was halfway down the hall of my apartment complex in my jocks. A typhoon hit 2 days later which was fun as well.

The worst 2 though that we seriously thought about staying home for a while we once in Thailand with a then 6 month old. We boarded our Jetstar flight (only time we've flown them overseas). We boarded a late flight and sat on the tarmac for 4hrs with engineering issues. No air was allowed and it was humid. Finally canned the flight and had a plane full of passenger put up in nearby hotels for 24hrs. Think it was a out 3am before we checked in.

The worst though was in Cambodia. We ended up on a boat cruise and my wife went down hill fast. She had to be carried off the boat with no real reason as to why. Straight to a shitty little hospital where I then started going downhill. We spent the night there next to each other on a drip. The practice's staff left for the night and told us to pull the drips out when we were done. We took turns at trying to sleep for the next 24hrs due to us thinking we were going to not wake up, missed connecting flights home and lost a week in the end.

We still travel, staying a bit closer to home at the moment while the little one grows up a bit. There's a sweet spot when they're real young for overseas trips but now that she's nearly 3 any overseas trips will be beach break types for a couple of years. The adventure stuff can wait. But travel in general is the best thing you can do in my opinion. So much to see and do.

Get travel insurance though. they paid out on all those experiences and a couple of others due to wife being pregnant with big sickness as well as some lost luggage. I could be a poster boy for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a Top Deck European winter tour last year. First night in Budapest and the bus was stopped for two hours as the police held the bus there until an on the spot 2.000 euro fine was paid. Was funny given that they wanted euros rather than their home currency and every 30 minutes a different cop came over to join in on the extortion gig. Didn’t mind the country other than that.

Also did a day trip to Pompeii on a tour bus for the partner’s bday when we were in Italy. The day trip included a visit to Naples though we were never allowed out of the bus. Was disappointed as we missed on trying a pizza in Naples. To make things worse, we had a tour guide named Guido who lived the sound of his own voice.

We've had insurance claims on about 5 overseas trips in the last 6-7 yrs.

Hurricane Irma forced us out of Cuba last year as it was incoming. Given the lack of communication to the outside work we only heard about it by chance and got one of the last flights out with our 18 month old daughter. Cuba got hammered after that.

Large earthquake smashed an island called Bohol where we were due to stay in 2 days on our honeymoon. We were in Singapore at the time and had to book somewhere else on the fly. Ended up in Hawaii a week earlier than we intended so wasn't all bad.

Another we were on route to NYC from Oz. Over the pacific our flight from LA to NYC got cancelled due to a blizzard and cancelled all flights into the city for days. We luckily had 10 nights booked so still got an week in.

Got woken from a very hungover sleep at 5am in Tokyo to a magnitude 6 earthquake. I was travelling alone at the time and scared the s**t out of me. North happened but I was halfway down the hall of my apartment complex in my jocks. A typhoon hit 2 days later which was fun as well.

The worst 2 though that we seriously thought about staying home for a while we once in Thailand with a then 6 month old. We boarded our Jetstar flight (only time we've flown them overseas). We boarded a late flight and sat on the tarmac for 4hrs with engineering issues. No air was allowed and it was humid. Finally canned the flight and had a plane full of passenger put up in nearby hotels for 24hrs. Think it was a out 3am before we checked in.

The worst though was in Cambodia. We ended up on a boat cruise and my wife went down hill fast. She had to be carried off the boat with no real reason as to why. Straight to a shitty little hospital where I then started going downhill. We spent the night there next to each other on a drip. The practice's staff left for the night and told us to pull the drips out when we were done. We took turns at trying to sleep for the next 24hrs due to us thinking we were going to not wake up, missed connecting flights home and lost a week in the end.

We still travel, staying a bit closer to home at the moment while the little one grows up a bit. There's a sweet spot when they're real young for overseas trips but now that she's nearly 3 any overseas trips will be beach break types for a couple of years. The adventure stuff can wait. But travel in general is the best thing you can do in my opinion. So much to see and do.

Get travel insurance though. they paid out on all those experiences and a couple of others due to wife being pregnant with big sickness as well as some lost luggage. I could be a poster boy for them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think traveling is for you bro. Jesus christ, the kiss of death.

Unless you die all negative experiences make for great stories. From having guns pulled on me on the border of Burkina Faso, to nearly being stabbed for urinating drunkenly in the wrong place and time in Togo to spending 2 days on dodgy boats whose cargo consists of livestock and questionable characters. Throw in riding on rooftops of buses in the Himalayas and having to scamper across landslides to get to your accommodation which is the equivalent of a barn it's all an adventure once you come out alive on the other side.

Got the flu while I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago. Was bed ridden for about a week and christmas basically never existed. Nothing worse than your body not wanting to do anything but having to get up first thing in the morning to make a flight. I tried but was deemed too sick to fly.

Two things stick out in my head.

1. First trip to Europe and I'm in Munich, come down with the flu after my first day there and end up spending the rest of my time there in my bed. As such I didn't really rate the city and gave it a wide birth of my return visit to Europe a few years later.
2. A train strike in London over the Xmas period on my second trip, was lucky to avoid the worst of it due to just legging it to the nearest pub to my hotel but nearly missed a key flight because of it when travelling to Heathrow.

Got the flu while I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago. Was bed ridden for about a week and christmas basically never existed. Nothing worse than your body not wanting to do anything but having to get up first thing in the morning to make a flight. I tried but was deemed too sick to fly.

That sucks.

Yeah being ill is just so much worse when you are not home in your own bed. The whole week in Italy was torture for me- in Rome overnight I was up all night spitting up this "bile" type substance, i was so bloody ill. And being on a bus is not fun either. Was glad it was just a week, suppose i could have been ill for a lot longer really.

Also did a day trip to Pompeii on a tour bus for the partner’s bday when we were in Italy. The day trip included a visit to Naples though we were never allowed out of the bus. Was disappointed as we missed on trying a pizza in Naples. To make things worse, we had a tour guide named Guido who lived the sound of his own voice.

Why, and did they say before hand this was the case?

Apart from plane delays and illness, is there any such thing as a negative travel experience?

I don't know, maybe I've been lucky. Or maybe it's just that travel is the one element of my life in which I'm a pretty positive person. I've been hustled, I've had adventures destroyed by weather, I've done things that, in hindsight, were just so mindnumbingly naive and/or stupid and/or really ******* dangerous... but it's all part of it isn't it? It's all a learning experience, it all becomes a story to tell - assuming you live to tell it!

Been incredibly lucky compared to others in here. But the two closest things I van think of are...

1. Oktoberfest. Which I renamed Oksoberfest. First time in Europe. A couple of days in. My wife had done it before on a tour and loved it. She was stoked to take me there. Little did we know that you 1. Cannot be served beer if you aren't at a table (in a country where drinking is legal in the street mind you), and 2. You can apparently book tables for the last weekend of it despite all the research we did beforehand saying you couldn't. y grand total of beers at Oktoberfest after getting dressed up in the gear and everything = 0. We walked around every tent and beer hall in the place for about 3 hours before giving up. Luckily the following morning we got up at 5:00am and went to a bar to watch the Dogs beat the Swans in the grand final, which remains possibly my favourite overseas moment. What a difference a day makes haha.

2. Flying to Sydney for a concert (we live in a regional city). Night before we get a text saying the flight details had changed. Looked like the flight time had been brought forward 10 minutes. No worries. Arrive at the airport to check in to be told 'oh you weren't told the flight was cancelled either?' This was at 5:30 in the morning. Apparentlly we weren't the only ones who hadn't been informed. They had booked us on another flight that night at 6:30 but the concert started then. They had two seats left on a midday flight and gave us though (why we weren't given them in the first place I don't know). I felt really bad because the whole weekend away and the concert were a Christmas present to the mrs, and we nearly missed the main reason we were going.

Europe bus tour
Full day on the road, few hours viewing the city (i can barely remember them) and a night in hotel. And the other day the story is the same. And one day more. And another one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back