Review Negatives against Port (Maybe positives too)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm putting it down to fitness, match-conditioning and clearly desire. We're a bunch of training cones atm.

Last edited:
Maybe the vast majority of players have nothing left to give.

Been up since 13 or 14. Including last year, that's 7 years. It's a long time.
Having followed this club since inception there is a pattern of how we fall after a successful period - Quickly. The good trend over that period is that we always rise again and hopefully we don't have to wait another 12 years.

What compounds my disappointment in this season, is I have no interest in any games not involving the eagles, I have been put off by boring game play, and garbage commentary. So I only tune in to see our boys play.....and ugh.

When we play bad, we all look bad.....well except Shep....how f'in great is Shep?

What compounds my disappointment in this season, is I have no interest in any games not involving the eagles, I have been put off by boring game play, and garbage commentary. So I only tune in to see our boys play.....and ugh.

When we play bad, we all look bad.....well except Shep....how f'in great is Shep?
With the short quarters a lot of teams have adopted the run and gun tactic as they can sustain it .

Saints GC port bulldogs norf all playing attractive football that you probably couldn't do with 20min quarters .

Playing less talls , more runners , fast ball movement and long kicking .

Has been great to watch .

Us on the other hand slow predictable kicking and with the short quarters team's can just flood back to counter it .

Johnson had a shoulder operation.

Replace with Watson.

O'Neil has a back issue.

Williams and Waterman should come in.

I would drop Darling for Allen.......make a statement. Or drop Brander for Allen and start. Darling on the bench. Darling I recall rarely plays well v Tigers...........
Wrong O’Neill. Xavier is fit to play from what I can tell.

I was speaking hypothetically anyway

“We accept this is the situation that’s being presented to us, let’s just get on with it, that’s my attitude.”
“Don’t for one second think it’s got to do with the hub.”
“The environment here has been a good one, but our performance has been off.”

Aside from having the audacity to ask for a return date, what exactly has Simpson or the club done to act as victims? This is such a fallacy that’s been trotted out again and again.

Just admit it guys, you like it when your coach screams because that’s how caring about it was judged in the good old days.
Nisbett indicated the club's attitude towards hubs when he said something like (not an exact quote, l can't even remember the context in which he said it, but he did say it, this was before the hub had been decided upon) ' we have tried this in the past, and it doesn't work'. By 'doesn't work' he meant WCE don't win any games in 'stay over east' situations. And remember, Nisbett has been with the club since its inception so he knows the full history.

The club has been publicly very quiet in speaking about 'the hub' so as not to antagonise the state government and make things worse. But it would seem they are not happy about it, Simpson has been whining, and giving hints the whole time. This has filtered through to the players, and hey presto, disaster. GC are not a good team, they are improved, but a premiership aspirant has to beat them. We are currently not even competitive, Fremantle are looking much better than us even though they are not winning either.

I don’t know how to read this

as anything other than Simpson’s lost it and these coaches would be better?

Ignoring Clarko who is one of the greatest coaches ever, you’ve gone with the recently sacked from bottom four Fremantle and recently sacked from West Coast/Essendon Worsfold. How am I meant to interpret that beyond you saying a change to Lyon/Woosh would be better than what Simpson can do from here?
Clarkson's never won a flag without Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn. Absolute fraud.

So now the guys played bad because the of what the guys who didn't play were wearing?

This reminds me of my friend who is currently homeschooling kids.

Apparently the school wants them to wear their school uniform, even though they are at home.

Not to mention that Port only brought 30 players with them, and we brought 40+.

What an absolute joke of a poster you are.

It had nothing to do with how we played. Who said it did. Was an observation on how standards have slipped

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nisbett indicated the club's attitude towards hubs when he said something like (not an exact quote, l can't even remember the context in which he said it, but he did say it, this was before the hub had been decided upon) ' we have tried this in the past, and it doesn't work'. By 'doesn't work' he meant WCE don't win any games in 'stay over east' situations. And remember, Nisbett has been with the club since its inception so he knows the full history.

The club has been publicly very quiet in speaking about 'the hub' so as not to antagonise the state government and make things worse. But it would seem they are not happy about it, Simpson has been whining, and giving hints the whole time. This has filtered through to the players, and hey presto, disaster. GC are not a good team, they are improved, but a premiership aspirant has to beat them. We are currently not even competitive, Fremantle are looking much better than us even though they are not winning either.

Again, this is entirely conjecture? The club has spoken about the hub at length, and has never whined (beyond Simmo asking for a return date). You can’t just say “he’s been whining” when there’s direct quote after direct quote of him saying it’s not the hub, it’s us, we have no issue with the hub, the atmosphere is good, we’re not good enough etc etc

Writing a long paragraph about how Simpson is whining without providing evidence of it isn’t any more convincing than the previous poster who did it in one sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, this is entirely conjecture? The club has spoken about the hub at length, and has never whined (beyond Simmo asking for a return date). You can’t just say “he’s been whining” when there’s direct quote after direct quote of him saying it’s not the hub, it’s us, we have no issue with the hub, the atmosphere is good, we’re not good enough etc etc

Writing a long paragraph about how Simpson is whining without providing evidence of it isn’t any more convincing than the previous poster who did it in one sentence.
I think where the whinging commentary has come from some people in the media who have said things like "the team is playing how they feel".
And "you can tell they don't want to be there and it shows".

I think where the whinging commentary has come from some people in the media who have said things like "the team is playing how they feel".
And "you can tell they don't want to be there and it shows".

Yeah, the whining narrative have come from people saying it about us, not from any actual evidence. To see it parroted on the main board is expected. To see it parroted by Eagles fans who presumably keep up with what the club put out is disappointing.

Barrass was poorly positioned in every contest that he was in with Dixon. Backline was dysfunctional to the point that Gaff was on Dixon for one of his goals.

How a team that has added Gaff, Shep, NN and Kelly to its lineup has regressed to one of the worst teams in the comp shows mental weakness is a major factor in the current form. Watching Freo last night they at least showed some fluidity when moving forward with intent. We just bomb it into the 50 hoping JK and JD take a contested mark.

Yeah, the whining narrative have come from people saying it about us, not from any actual evidence. To see it parroted on the main board is expected. To see it parroted by Eagles fans who presumably keep up with what the club put out is disappointing.

To be fair to the poster you quoted, even before we left Perth, Simmo would find ways to weave "we need to know when we are coming home" in to any statement about the hub and the season restart. To the point where Kelly came out and said in an interview that his family is going "in case the AFL whack another couple of weeks on" and Schofield came out and said he was "disappointed in the AFL" and how they handled the hub with no return date.

I think it is pretty clear, that Simmo took his eyes off the ball, and got fixated on how long they are in the hub, rather than keeping his focus on the challenge at hand, and the team has followed suit.

I totally get why Simmo did those things. He is looking out for the welfare of his players, and staff and not to mention he has 4 kids of his own, and the ask being made of the club is very high.

It's easy to see in retrospect that Simmo set the wrong tone.

To Simmo's credit, he seems to have recognised this, and changed tack, beginning with the mini mea culpa on Monday for the "bridge too far" remarks.

I'm putting it down to fitness, match-conditioning and clearly desire. We're a bunch of training cones atm.

In some ways our S&C have been suspect for a little while.

Some of our guys don't look as lean and fit as guys on other teams. Jetta has a spare tyre around his mid section, and Gov looks like a guy down at the pub with his dad bod and 0 definition.

We do look incredibly slow, and out of condition, but that could also be down to ball use, mental/emotional fatigue. I'm reluctant to diagnose the issue right at this very second, because there are too many variable to isolate the issue right now.

I do have faith that we will turn the tide, even if this season is a huge disappointment.

We have a very good list, and we are a strong club who can bounce back.

I’m putting it down to a loss of income due to COVID.

Cannot think of any other reason.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Disappointing that they have chucked a tantrum and no other club has, if this is the case.

Could be worse, 20% or even 0 pay.

As the say, you gotta f**** with the c*** that ya got.

With the short quarters a lot of teams have adopted the run and gun tactic as they can sustain it .

Saints GC port bulldogs norf all playing attractive football that you probably couldn't do with 20min quarters .

Playing less talls , more runners , fast ball movement and long kicking .

Has been great to watch .

Us on the other hand slow predictable kicking and with the short quarters team's can just flood back to counter it .
The first year Optus opened I made a point of getting over for a few games - the first was against Essendon -still havent forgotten the misery as they were about 9 goals at quarter time. Run and gun isnt new it seems

To be fair to the poster you quoted, even before we left Perth, Simmo would find ways to weave "we need to know when we are coming home" in to any statement about the hub and the season restart. To the point where Kelly came out and said in an interview that his family is going "in case the AFL whack another couple of weeks on" and Schofield came out and said he was "disappointed in the AFL" and how they handled the hub with no return date.

I think it is pretty clear, that Simmo took his eyes off the ball, and got fixated on how long they are in the hub, rather than keeping his focus on the challenge at hand, and the team has followed suit.

I totally get why Simmo did those things. He is looking out for the welfare of his players, and staff and not to mention he has 4 kids of his own, and the ask being made of the club is very high.

It's easy to see in retrospect that Simmo set the wrong tone.

To Simmo's credit, he seems to have recognised this, and changed tack, beginning with the mini mea culpa on Monday for the "bridge too far" remarks.
I have worked away from home m,any times with teams (groups) individual welfare is important but so is team unity/health and getting the job done. I agree he has changed tack. Perhaps some wise council

Barrass was poorly positioned in every contest that he was in with Dixon. Backline was dysfunctional to the point that Gaff was on Dixon for one of his goals.

How a team that has added Gaff, Shep, NN and Kelly to its lineup has regressed to one of the worst teams in the comp shows mental weakness is a major factor in the current form. Watching Freo last night they at least showed some fluidity when moving forward with intent. We just bomb it into the 50 hoping JK and JD take a contested mark.

There was a clear plan to block Barrass and stop him from impacting contests.

Sheppard spoke about it after the game and put the responsibility on the entire back 7 for not doing enough to help him out.

Disappointing that they have chucked a tantrum and no other club has, if this is the case.

Could be worse, 20% or even 0 pay.

As the say, you gotta f**** with the c*** that ya got.

The club are chucking a tantrum about money based on one speculative post from one poster.

Come on guys. I know we’re all disappointed with the results and output right now but you don’t just need to switch your brain off and jump on any passing theory that comes your way.

I assume the only reason Richmond have fallen away after romping the flag last year was because they’re all furious about standardised pay cuts too.

Its not as simple as adding those players to a premiership team. 8 players from the GF team didn't play yesterday. You also need to add in the declines of Kennedy, Hurn etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back