Review Negatives against Port (Maybe positives too)

Remove this Banner Ad

This list needs a clean out, players like Cole, Schofield, Redden, Hickey and Ahchee who should never be allowed in the same squad together. You add that to players way out of form like Darling, Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Cripps and Jetta then you have a recipe for what has transpired this last month.

Positive: Jamaine Jones. Brought some spark to the forward line.

Kennedy. Showed their is some life left in the old dog.

NEGATIVE:
Our midfield is a disaster. Almost choked when Simmo said they started to gel during his presser. The quality of disposal coming out of the midfield group is wooden spoon level.

Forward structures. I think this ties into the cack coming in from the midfield but... Riddle me this? How can our smalls not be at the drop of the footy and not anywhere near their man on the turnover? They must be in space and ignored or out of position too high up the ground helping the midfield. Time for the midfield to sort their own s**t out so the forwards can do their primary function.

Sides are cutting through us like we aren't there, because largely we are not there. Our forwards who should be applying pressure are constantly being caught out of position and bypassed, resulting in rapid transition into our defensive half.

We are supposed to be playing a kick/mark possession style of football but we have abandoned any sense of structure due to the groundball /contested ball beating our midfield take.

I really think we have undermined our whole pattern of ball movement and retention because the coaching/structures of our midfield is below standard. Van Berlo and Rosa have to have an extremely hard look at what they are doing. They need and deserve support from the other lines in terms of rotations but they can't have half the forward line pressing up the ground the whole time to bail their poor methodology out out. It is literally killing the team.

Positive - we can write off Richmond's season with a win next week

Or they can write off ours?

At least the tigers have scraped a draw with Collingwood since the restart.

We've been annihilated by not even good teams the past 3 weeks. Barely even competed.

And in slippery greasy conditions on Thursday night, who's game style are you going to back in?

Positives:
- Jones’ and Ryan’s effort and intent
- Kennedy’s return to

Overall it’s effort and intent. There were times where players were looking at each other and saying are you going to go, or am I?

We have problems and something needs to be done about it. The spoilt brat attitude towards moving to the hub has seeped through, we lack resilience, effort, heart and intent.

Feel Simo has erred in commenting so much on the hub. Too much new age soft cuddles from Simo has filtered into the players heads.

Saw Barrass at half time sitting with arms and legs crossed not interested. The entire backline looked tired and depressed including Hurn. The bodylanguage of the defense at half time in the rooms was shocking. The mids and forwards looked engaged with the coaches but not the defense group.

We have the players but the attitude is shocking.

Possible but my issue is that would be a band-aid. This issue has been "simmo-ing" since the flag win. In early 2019 it was disguised as a flag hangover. Mid 2019 we hit our straps and were moving towards top-2. But I was always uneasy that the issue hadn't been rectified. Come last few rounds of the season and our wheels fell off. Problem had not been rectified. Come 2020 with a full off season to tweak and rectify - we're playing the worst footy we've ever played.

This is a premiership team + nicnat + kelly + gaff.

Every other team knows the way to beat us is put numbers around the ball. We constantly have whoever is doing the inside role at a contest going against 3 opposition players who are hungry for the ball. Our guy's team mates are flat footed on the periphery of the contest while their men are hitting the contest at speed to win the footy.

Our players have clearly lost confidence in the gameplan. It's obvious and it's embarrassing.

Hands up if you don't think Clarko or Ross Lyon wouldn't have us in the top 4 by the end of the season? I reckon even Woosha would have us top 4.

Hound players to snap out of it and get with the gameplan = bottom 4

Throw the gameplan out the window and concentrate on contested ball = maybe a chance to get everyone back into form
Hands up if you think Lyon would've won us a premiership in 2018.
I don't think so.

Looking through the stats, it's obvious we are just not fit enough - slacked off in the covid19 hiatus. No run, way down in uncontested possessions and marks, and no run from defense, poor kicking (as a result of fatigue issues) etc. We actually won in the ruck, in the CBD and at stoppages, so our contested work was much improved. Match fitness is way short.

We look old and slow.

Port look young and fast.

Port look like we did in 2018.

Our defense especially looks stale. Need Watson in to provide more attacking rebound and speed.

Or they can write off ours?

At least the tigers have scraped a draw with Collingwood since the restart.

We've been annihilated by not even good teams the past 3 weeks. Barely even competed.

And in slippery greasy conditions on Thursday night, who's game style are you going to back in?
I'm not sure why we are all so happy to assess our team as no good, but not reassess the rest of the comp.

Brisbane are a very good side, especially at home. The style of the loss was frustrating but if I'd said at the restart of the season that would be a loss no-one would have been too concerned.

Port are the best team in the comp right now. Sure, there are questions over their opposition right now (including us) but you can only beat who you play (and we need to remember premierships aren't handed out in June)

GC are the real concern. But even then their form has been excellent since beating us (against moderate opposition, but see above). They are a mid table team atm maybe higher.

Now we have a litmus test, an out of form tigers travelling up off a 5 day break, Adelaide who look like wooden spooners, and Freo back in Perth (who on paper we should beat, and likely they don't have Fyfe - but on form is at best 50/50 as of today)

We are probably a loss away from folding. But funnily enough if we win the next 2, then with 3 at home at least we could end up ok even by mid season.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If this group has lost the “hunger” they will find it very hard to rediscover. We may as well start reworking the team now and introducing the players and game style to win us our next premiership. The only thing I see with that is a weak list in terms of what else we have waiting in the wings.

Game planneeds to evolve. Its stale andits been worked out. We copied Clarkson and thee Hawks and they have evolved.

If you stand still in this comp others pass you.........other sides are passing every week.

The automatic mindset or kicking to the wing and stopping to then kick backwqrds needs to stop. It is so predictable. Need a Watson type who has the speed and swerveability to run and beat and opponent by run to setup overlaphandball and attack.

We are playing like robots with no flair. We take risks with kicks but no risks in run and carry from defense. The half back line rebound is a concern.

Last edited:
Were all the C-Virus related layoffs the staff that rubbed the players' bellies? What I saw yesterday were players sulking. Which is only going to perpetuate in an environment where they can do nothing but sit around and sulk together during the week.

It's like they're sulking that the opposition wants to work harder than them. We're seeing single efforts (if that) from 95% of the ones out there, and it's the easier, softer option every time. This ******* pisses me off more than anything as a supporter. You can't change the whole team (unfortunately) but you have to start by dropping the worst offenders. Find us some players with backbone and self pride quick, get them in, and just hope it rubs off before we turn into ******* Melbourne FC and this becomes a disaster for years to come.

I don't think players have lost confidence in Simmo or the game plan.

If you can not, mark, kick or handball, any game plan will be ineffective.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the idea we need to completely invert our game plan and be first and foremost a contested ball team. We do need to improve our contested ball and our ability to win the ball at the contest, however CP is not the be all and end all. In both 2017 and 2019 Richmond consistently lost CP.

Not only that, but it would be moving away from our strengths as a team. We have recruited and developed players for a certain reason. To implement a certain game plan. We don't have the cattle to all of sudden become contested ball winning beasts.

I will say I am concerned about the lack of speed and pace in the team, an their inability to lay a tackle is damning.

For any consolation, Simmo seems to understand that things need to change, and isn't shying away from putting the coaches and support staff under the microscope.

Also - Clarko has spoken about the missed opportunities at Hawthorn between 09-13 and has laid the blame squarely at the feet of not refreshing the game plan, that they did in 2012. Simmo was a big part of that. I do think Simmo is a big one wood, and sticks very tightly to a rigid game plan, however some of the criticism of Simmo is a bit over the top at this stage.

We can't do the basics because we have lost confidence. History tells us that whenever this happens, it's almost always the players aren't buying into or executing the game plan.

Potentially part of this is fitness related (I don't think we're fit enough which compounds the problem). But our underlying issue whenever we play poorly under Simmo, it is contested ball. It's because the game plan is hard to execute. It's hard to execute because the players have to strike that precise balance between contested ball and positioning to intercept the ball. If you get it wrong, you get exposed. If you play it year in year out, you develop players who aren't as good at contested ball as the opposition.

When we talk about leg speed, pace and tackling - we're flat footed waiting for the ball. The opposition are in motion so they have momentum to hit speed quickly. These are all repercussions of not attacking the ball. If anyone has time to watch the game again (or the two prior games) you will notice that we do this all the time: there's a contested ball. An Eagles player goes in hard early, doesn't win the footy and either stops dead or backs off into position. This is a problem with not being able to execute the game plan.

Simmo has been public over the last 12-18 months about our inability to win enough contested ball. He knows there is a problem but just hasn't been able to fix it. I rated the Weagles Web of 2015 and rate even higher the game plan we used in 2018 and that Richmond copied last season. But the team is no longer responding to it. Simmo has been trying to get fix the contested ball problem for a season and a half using the same game plan. It's not working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t be that much weaker.

Johnson for Cole/Duggan, O’Neill for Redden/Sheed, Waterman for Darling, Cameron for Cripps, Williams for Hickey.

I doubt we would lose too much in those subs based on current form, and we’d gain a bit in terms of injecting some energy

Johnson had a shoulder operation.

Replace with Watson.

O'Neil has a back issue.

Williams and Waterman should come in.

I would drop Darling for Allen.......make a statement. Or drop Brander for Allen and start. Darling on the bench. Darling I recall rarely plays well v Tigers...........

This list needs a clean out, players like Cole, Schofield, Redden, Hickey and Ahchee who should never be allowed in the same squad together. You add that to players way out of form like Darling, Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Cripps and Jetta then you have a recipe for what has transpired this last month.
It's not the list. The weaker players are support staff. They play well when the team is firing, poor when the team isn't. These players don't influence the bigger picture. You'd just swap them out for another lot who also wouldn't be able to fire in a team lacking confidence.

Hands up if you think Lyon would've won us a premiership in 2018.
I don't think so.
You missed my point. I'm not suggesting I'd swap Simmo for anyone over the last 7 years - a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush. Nor am I suggesting we dump Simmo. He has credits and must be given the opportunity.

What I'm saying is, that if right now you think a Clarko or Lyon could take this list to flag contention then the problem (or more to the point, how to fix it), is not the list. Sure, many of our players are playing like complete Karen's, but the underlying issue has been going on for too long not to think a game plan refresh is the best option.

Feel Simo has erred in commenting so much on the hub. Too much new age soft cuddles from Simo has filtered into the players heads.

Saw Barrass at half time sitting with arms and legs crossed not interested. The entire backline looked tired and depressed including Hurn. The bodylanguage of the defense at half time in the rooms was shocking. The mids and forwards looked engaged with the coaches but not the defense group.

We have the players but the attitude is shocking.
The defence are getting hung out to dry.

I can't see time in forward half comparisons but we have been torched in time in possession the past fortnight.
Given our observed inability to lock the ball into our forward half and our constant backward kicking when in possession the ball is spending a tremendous amount of time in our defence.

As mentioned earlier this is frying our defenders - mentally and physically. I'm not surprised the body language is poor

Well it’s been fun guys and it had the potential to change the world forever but, given its just been suggested we replace Simpson with Ross Lyon, it is my unfortunate duty to announce that we must shut the internet down forever.

Leave the house, reintroduce yourselves to family and loved ones, we’re done here.

If you continually tell someone they are a victim eventually they will become that victim.

“We accept this is the situation that’s being presented to us, let’s just get on with it, that’s my attitude.”
“Don’t for one second think it’s got to do with the hub.”
“The environment here has been a good one, but our performance has been off.”

Aside from having the audacity to ask for a return date, what exactly has Simpson or the club done to act as victims? This is such a fallacy that’s been trotted out again and again.

Just admit it guys, you like it when your coach screams because that’s how caring about it was judged in the good old days.

Who said that? I didn't see anyone say that.

I don’t know how to read this

Hands up if you don't think Clarko or Ross Lyon wouldn't have us in the top 4 by the end of the season? I reckon even Woosha would have us top 4.

as anything other than Simpson’s lost it and these coaches would be better?

Ignoring Clarko who is one of the greatest coaches ever, you’ve gone with the recently sacked from bottom four Fremantle and recently sacked from West Coast/Essendon Worsfold. How am I meant to interpret that beyond you saying a change to Lyon/Woosh would be better than what Simpson can do from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back