Autopsy Negatives vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't what to say about this team.

Do we trade NN to Geelong at the end of the year and give him a chance at a flag? He is the only player that seems to want it and isn't going to get it with this rabble.

Would break our hearts, but if Naitanui requested a trade to get a flag before he retired I would understand it

Don't worry - you'll beat Freo in your "Grand Final" . . .

It's Freo's grand final moron. Unlike them, the Eagles have won actual flags, including more than your mob since we joined the AFL.

Also, as s**t as we've been this year, we're about a year or 2 ahead of you in the downward spiral of your ageing list...

I think Simmo has the credit in the bank (premiership) to buy himself a year to completely revamp the gameplan and turn it around. However I am very nervous about his contract running another 3 years after this one. And on top of this the lack of effort we see from the players suggests they need a new message (coach).

Simmo seems like nothing but an empty suit. No mongrel, no killer instinct. I ******* hope he is a completely different beast behind closed doors.

Players are still getting paid the big bucks with no care or effort. Laughing after games, genuinely not interested in tackling and pressure and unable to execute simple skills. Simpson has lost them. Nothing has changed they are just having a laugh out there earning more than most of us would in 5 years.

Players are still getting paid the big bucks with no care or effort. Laughing after games, genuinely not interested in tackling and pressure and unable to execute simple skills. Simpson has lost them. Nothing has changed they are just having a laugh out there earning more than most of us would in 5 years.
While on this subject, the recent AFL cut in club salary cap might affect the players‘ attitude towards the game. The balance of INJURY vs FAMILY/FRIEND vs INTEREST IN WINNING can shift as a result. The talk of recuriting "private school boys" might also relate to the issue.
But then, are all 18 clubs affcted to the same extent and why some clubs seem to manage this issue better?

You can't say Eagles gameplan is outdated. Simpson's game plan is outdated. Why the media deflect from the true issue?
Absolutely teams have figured his gameplan out a long time ago and now just pick us apart week in week out. His one stubborn coach. Which maybe his downfall in the long run if he doesn't change it. That's if he can change it

Didn't they all take a cut last year, along with staff reductions?
I think they've been playing for reduced income all during Covid times.
Have our current problems appeared or worsened during the Covid duration?
His private school kids comment was interesting, in what may lie under the surface.
He's only suggesting getting kids from stable backgrounds and was exaggerating to make the point, because they no longer have the resources/staff to look after the unstable ones (Rioli anyone?)
“We’re probably a coach short and a couple of medicos short as well and I’ve said this before but it does affect who you draft and develop,” Simpson told 3AW.
A coach short and couple medicos short may help explain the players woes, along with the bad run of soft tissue injuries.
Coaches don't like to complain too much or put the blame on others, maybe this is masking the problems we have?
So the players are on reduced salaries during Covid times with added pressures and stress, no longer getting the best coaching or medical assistance, and are one of the teams frequently travelling the longest distances to play games during Covid.
A big emphasis is put on family, many have family/kids, does this culture affect our playing and mental state. Family was never a culture 'thing' in the past. You hardly heard of players families, most players were single/dating and were 'players' off the field.
Who knows, but something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark!?

Won't go into specifics, there's not enough words out there to describe how bad we were 🚚 💩

That passage of play where Waterman, under minimal pressure elected turn backwards and handball 20m to a stumbling Hurn who fell over comically then missed his desperate handball to a teammate, only for Collingwood to waltz passed for the easiest of turnovers will haunt me for a long time.

It's the biggest kick in the guts I've felt since Matt Rowell and his kid mates annihilated our team of superstars to kick off the resumption of the season in round 2 last year. A real punch in the groin.

I will say this though, i actually think the commentary has been spot on. Whilst nobody is really potting Simpson directly, every spud AFL journo is acknowledging the talent on our list, and then questioning how we can keep trotting out these performances, and why is our system is the way it is.

It's outdated, reliant on personnel (like Jetta) who have gone, or absolute crisp conditions. The minute the game isn't on our terms we fold. The minute it rains, we fold.

Haven't disagreed with anyone's commentary yet. Dunstall, Garry and Huddo were all bang on during the broadcast. They were frustrated and tried to contain piling it on, but you could hear the outright bewilderment and even frustration in their comments. Instead of lolling i feel the comments have been more empathetic to eagles fans actually. Like it's not even funny, it's sad.

Let's be honest, it's downright embarrassing for the biggest club in the competition with the largest fan base, and I'm not minding Jordan Lewis speaking directly the the fans and showing he's visibly frustrated with how we play, just like all of us do on this board every weekend.

Anyone getting their backs up about commentary over our performance needs to direct their ire to who is actually responsible. Our entire club :chartdown::brokenheart:

Sorry, but I can’t cop the complaints about soft cap cuts affecting the clubs being able to have medicos and support staff. Maybe clubs need to manage their resources better…

Whenever they flash up to the coaches box there’s 10-15 people sitting in there as well as the 20 odd on the bench, what are they doing? Surely having the right amount of medicos is more important than paying a past player to be a development coach or goal kicking consultant.

Adam Simpson’s comments about the kids they draft shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, it’s basically been an unspoken rule at the club for years. All the drama with those mid 2000s players has clearly spooked them into safe recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

940x450-This-is-fine.jpg

Positive: didn't watch the game as I was out with friends. I checked the score at quarter time and felt a sinking feeling. Knew another Cats, Dogs, Swans style smashing was coming up...but to Collingwood! A bit shocked but not overly surprised. Any glimmer of hope we'll be competitive in finals is snuffed out, and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe they'll stop teasing us. I mean not that I thought we were contenders anyway, but my hope was we'd at least be competitive in an EF, win or lose, and build towards next year. But I think a massive overhaul and rebuild might be just what we need. Don't mind being in the doldrums for one or two seasons if we can regain the hunger and contend again in a few years. Unfortunately for the likes of NN, Gaff, Shep etc I don't think they'll be premiership players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The performances we have put up against North Melbourne,Essendon & now Collingwood all teams which are in the bottom 8 & are in rebuild mode just shows how much we have really declined in a fast way.Unfortunately every possibility we can give the wooden spoon a shake next season if our club doesn’t take drastic action & put the blow torch on everyone.

We have slow players in the midfield & don’t like contact Gaff ,Sheed & Redden.Two of them needed to be moved on.
Cripps, Langdon Darling & Jk all slow in our forward line.

Having four talls in Jk,Darling ,Allen & Waterman with small forwards who lack pace was shown up more than ever yesterday

Even our defence lacks speed Shepp,Duggan,Cole & Hurn are not super quick.

Yep super pissed over yesterday’s on Bunags 300th game

Rant over

I would think one of Duggan, Shep and Cole are up for a run in the WAFL. Shep is good but his down hill trajectory is worrying
Fck it, the way WC going put all three in Beagles.
What you got to lose from this year's abysmal effort.
Especially pissed with Sheppard is a shadow of a player compare to his 2020 AA season.

Last edited:
I remarked during the game that it didn't seem like we had a plan for Collingwood running with the ball. It's really disappointing to see us seemingly unable or unwilling to adjust to what opposition teams throw at us. I thought we at least turned a corner the last couple of weeks by taking on the game but we went for the defensive switch from the start and teams are now successfully forcing us to retreat to the defensive 50 from the wing. It's not good enough. Something needs to change in a fairly drastic way this offseason including, but not limited to, our defensive game plan, which now sees McGovern dragged out of the danger zone far too frequently and easily.
Funnily enough i was mentioning the same around the proverbial watercooler at work.

We seem to not identify 1 or 2 things to take away from the opposition. Something brad Scott does very well.

We just try to win on our terms which isnt happening now everyones worked out our gameplan

We just try to win on our terms which isnt happening now everyones worked out our gameplan
I think this is the most frustrating element. Other teams have worked us out offensively and defensively, we've at least tried something different offensively against North and Adelaide, and yet we stubbornly try to play our way. That's not on the playing group, surely. If it is, those responsible for reverting to negative tactics shouldn't be playing, which is not on the playing group. All roads lead back to the coaches box.

It's kinda funny and not in the least bit surprising how quickly it's happened though.

There's been signs since 2019. But with an ageing list, failing to expose enough kids (🚓:rotatinglight:) and being stubborn with our gameplan has led us to this point.

It would be a total mismanagement of our list if we were to allow Hurn and Kennedy (competent champions they still are) to continue on again in 2022.

It's 👏 time 👏 to 👏 close 👏 the 👏 window 👏 and 👏 start 👏 building 👏 for 👏 our 👏 next 👏 premiership 👏 tilt

What were our actual GOOD games this year? There's been a handful of DIABOLICAL ones, a few uninspiring s**t wins, and then one or two solid efforts.

From a whole season. This shouldn't be the case for a team pushing for a flag with the list like ours. We either need to be competitive, or in a rebuild.

The Shellacking of then top of the table Port at home with Shuey, was our best, and probably only dominant performance of the year.

Other than that, we pulled a win out of our Robbie Nahas when we climbed over the Tigers in round 13. But that also killed both teams completely after.

The win over Cockburn with our very depleted team was impressive, but then again..... it's Cockburn. Failure is what they do best.

There's very little, if anything for this club to hang it's hat on this year, in the way of wins for a 'contending' season. Season review would be damning.

I think this is the most frustrating element. Other teams have worked us out offensively and defensively, we've at least tried something different offensively against North and Adelaide, and yet we stubbornly try to play our way. That's not on the playing group, surely. If it is, those responsible for reverting to negative tactics shouldn't be playing, which is not on the playing group. All roads lead back to the coaches box.

Well why hasn't brainless Simpson done something about it??? throw gov forward or play shuey/yeo as a forward do something diff ffs

It sh*ts me its always the opposition working us out while we do f**k all as a coaching group

This playing group reminds a lot of 89 eagles who couldn't give a toss...the diff was the 89 group had quality youngsters coming through which led to a golden generation...problem is the youngsters we have now are average and the senior players players couldn't give a f**k

Our idea of switching is to get it centre wing and punch a series of 45m passes backwards to the opposite back pocket. Takes about 5 minutes and 20 possessions to get it to the alternate wing. Meanwhile all our forwards have rolled up so on the rare accassions it gets back to where it started yheres nothing to kick to and it starts all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back