Autopsy Negatives vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Evidence says otherwise....how many players in his team this year that have been AA at least once?

So 7th on the ladder, is it the players or the coach? Or...which best serves your purpose?

So 7th on the ladder, is it the players or the coach? Or...which best serves your purpose?
Probably a few players are playing worse than they can due to the game plan, but overall Simpson is much more to blame than any 1 player

Probably a few players are playing worse than they can due to the game plan, but overall Simpson is much more to blame than any 1 player

To blame by being the current 7th best team in the league? You're saying he is the worst coach - so Clarkson is at 17th - why is he a better coach then?

I like Sheed and he gives 100% each week BUT it is sobering to remember that in our premiership year he wasn't in our best 22 until Gaff went out. In my opinion I think he is about the same level skill-wise now as he was in 2018.

So for him to consistently be one of our best performers doesn't say how much better he has got, it says how far down the rest of the team has gone.

I like Sheed and he gives 100% each week BUT it is sobering to remember that in our premiership year he wasn't in our best 22 until Gaff went out. In my opinion I think he is about the same level skill-wise now as he was in 2018.

So for him to consistently be one of our best performers doesn't say how much better he has got, it says how far down the rest of the team has gone.
sheed couldn't tackle to save his life

To blame by being the current 7th best team in the league? You're saying he is the worst coach - so Clarkson is at 17th - why is he a better coach then?
Overall the quality in WC team is far superior to Hawthorn. In fact some would argue it's near the most talented in the league and has been for a number of years. It is just a poorly coached team. The bottom team doesn't always have the worst coach.

Overall the quality in WC team is far superior to Hawthorn. In fact some would argue it's near the most talented in the league and has been for a number of years. It is just a poorly coached team. The bottom team doesn't always have the worst coach.

Okay, so quantify the "worst coach in the league" for us all then. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think one of Duggan, Shep and Cole are up for a run in the WAFL. Shep is good but his down hill trajectory is worrying

Would love to see Sheed or Gaff shunted off the WAFL first.

Srsly Sheed's body language when not moving forward is terrible.
Even manning a mark he has no intensity about himself and just shuffles slowly up to the mark.
The sight of him jogging would help set such a spirit of lethargy and can't-be-effedness throughout the team.
The 'spirit' players help spur in their team mates is so important.

It was total sh*t but Simmo will be given the chance to recalibrate the team and game plan over the summer - and rightly so.

Will be a couple of thin years tho.
This we don't have the players for a more running contested style game .

We also need to cast away this zone defence we are playing . Not manning up is costing us in both field position and pressure .

Senior players need new goals and roles

McGovern needs to go back to one on one and stop zoning off . His job is to beat his man .

Gaff ? No idea . He is a slow soft outside mid who can't kick for s**t . Trade

Hurn and Kennedy should be giving player/coach roles and told they need to let the younger guys play and develop

Redden who is out of contact should probably be let go as he won't be around for the next tilt .

Shuey should give up the captaincy and focus on himself .

Kelly needs a ******* rocket if his knee is not right stop playing him .

Sheed would benefit from being more of an extractor due to his lack of pace on the outside . Bulk up and practice his tackling and clearances

Yeo needs a clean run at it . He will take a while to get back after his OP

Darling needs to become more mobile and cover the ground rather than get stuck being covered by 2 defenders inside 50 .

Sheppard looks injured . He has lost he pace too . Needs easier roles and not the best small every week

Cripps needs to go back to hard forward tag like he played 2015-2018

Okay, so quantify the "worst coach in the league" for us all then. How did you arrive at this conclusion?
I guess worst coach in the league would be given to the coach that gets the worst results for their team given the talent on the team.

Sadly since the Richmond game I feel so disconnected watching the Eagles I normally get really shirty watching the game.. now its generally after 10 mins I can tell the games gone and I can go about other things without getting pissed off with the result

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hey, get out of my head. I said the exact same thing to my wife when I stopped watching 5 minutes into the second quarter.

I know that's bad but I was getting too angry, it is after all, only supposed to be a game.

This we don't have the players for a more running contested style game .

We also need to cast away this zone defence we are playing . Not manning up is costing us in both field position and pressure .

Senior players need new goals and roles

McGovern needs to go back to one on one and stop zoning off . His job is to beat his man .

Gaff ? No idea . He is a slow soft outside mid who can't kick for sh*t . Trade

Hurn and Kennedy should be giving player/coach roles and told they need to let the younger guys play and develop

Redden who is out of contact should probably be let go as he won't be around for the next tilt .

Shuey should give up the captaincy and focus on himself .

Kelly needs a ******* rocket if his knee is not right stop playing him .

Sheed would benefit from being more of an extractor due to his lack of pace on the outside . Bulk up and practice his tackling and clearances

Yeo needs a clean run at it . He will take a while to get back after his OP

Darling needs to become more mobile and cover the ground rather than get stuck being covered by 2 defenders inside 50 .

Sheppard looks injured . He has lost he pace too . Needs easier roles and not the best small every week

Cripps needs to go back to hard forward tag like he played 2015-2018
exactly. I'd rather miss finals than limp in and get thrashed. best to use to off season to rebuild. west coast won't make the 8 in 2022

I guess worst coach in the league would be given to the coach that gets the worst results for their team given the talent on the team.

AA means nothing, most of those where achieved awhile ago by those who have them.

Reality is we are ageing side that has hit its cliff. The club thought it had one more tilt left in it, they over played their hand.

Simpson needs to change things up with the game plan, but we've also squeezed what we can out of the current playing group and its now time for a refresh of playing personnel.

I remarked during the game that it didn't seem like we had a plan for Collingwood running with the ball. It's really disappointing to see us seemingly unable or unwilling to adjust to what opposition teams throw at us. I thought we at least turned a corner the last couple of weeks by taking on the game but we went for the defensive switch from the start and teams are now successfully forcing us to retreat to the defensive 50 from the wing. It's not good enough. Something needs to change in a fairly drastic way this offseason including, but not limited to, our defensive game plan, which now sees McGovern dragged out of the danger zone far too frequently and easily.

I think the talent on our list is over rated.
AA means nothing, most of those where achieved awhile ago by those who have them.

Reality is we are ageing side that has hit its cliff. The club thought it had one more tilt left in it, they over played their hand.

Simpson needs to change things up with the game plan, but we've also squeezed what we can out of the current playing group and its now time for a refresh of playing personnel.
Maybe partly but every AA calibre player doesn't go to s**t at the same time. The coaching definitely doesn't play to the players strengths e.g. Darling basically 2 on 1 every contest. If he's 2 on 1 where's the WC spare?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back