Opinion Negativity In The Port Adelaide Supporter Base

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he literally said that there are many coaches who fall short in their career and it's not uncommon, so why are we treating it like the apocalypse? Not literally obviously, and I know we have a high bar of expectation at this club, but surely if we can understand that we shouldn't be as fussed over it as we are.

Trust you to be unfussed with not winning s**t.

Why even watch sport of any kind. Go back to the meaningless Adelaide Strikers where you belong

Uh, we've turned over half the list, including a player who was the most exciting young talent in the AFL a few short years ago. We've also moved on a bunch of assistants.

Nothing has helped.
And if he's gone and we still suffer from basic skill errors, which I think we will, who gets the blame then? Which cog did we forget to change?
If he's gone and our skills start to improve then you can feel free to throw s**t at my face for it, but basic skills is not what a senior coach primarily manages, or even manages at all, and removing Ken from the picture doesn't mean removing the basic skill errors too.

Trust you to be unfussed with not winning s**t.

Why even watch sport of any kind. Go back to the meaningless Adelaide Strikers where you belong
I AM fussed with not winning s**t, but he straight up said that it's not uncommon for coaches to be unsuccessful, surely if that's the case then this scenario shouldn't come off as any more jarring.

And if he's gone and we still suffer from basic skill errors, which I think we will, who gets the blame then? Which cog did we forget to change?
If he's gone and our skills start to improve then you can feel free to throw s**t at my face for it, but basic skills is not what a senior coach primarily manages, or even manages at all, and removing Ken from the picture doesn't mean removing the basic skill errors too.

You can't accept the status quo forever … blimey.

I AM fussed with not winning s**t, but he straight up said that it's not uncommon for coaches to be unsuccessful, surely if that's the case then this scenario shouldn't come off as any more jarring.

Yes it's not uncommon, and they also then inevitably get sacked. Funny enough it's Ken's time to be moved on.

Haven't won a premiership, but we HAVE certainly played premiership quality football at our best before. Don't deny that.
You have to be blinded by something, I'm not sure what though......

No we haven't played premiership quality football because to do that you have to be at your best consistently, and I'm not sure about this one but win premierships!!!!!

We have done nothing. We have won and played our best footy when there is no pressure on or expectation on us. Or if we get a emotional boost ie a Showdown. Outside of that we fail as favourites or in the majority of crucial games we play.

It comes down to Ken now, it is on him. Our list has been chewed over and remade for him countless times. We have given him umpteenth assistant coaches, a top notch football department, and god knows what else and we have gone nowhere. It all falls at his feet now. And he bloody well knows it. He is now resorting to ridiculous selections, he is now back tracking over his own words with regards to Duursma being not rested, dropped, but really rested. There are no more excuses for him.

We reached the pinnacle of Ken in 2014. Since then the game has moved past him.

Fair enough if people feel that way, but that doesn't mean Ken should be getting an uglier wrap to everyone else. If we're going to burn down several different homes to replace with new ones then you don't want to waste all of your energy on the first one do you? Sorry I was looking for a good metaphorical example to use but I ran out of ideas so this was the best I could come up with.
He is the head coach so yes he gets a uglier wrap to everyone else.....It isn't that hard to comprehend. Carlton didn't sack the assistants, boot studder and water boys did they? Come on...

We're not, we're acting like it's alien that he's been persisted with despite demonstrating that he's not capable of success.

Your straw man about how it's only Ken being blamed is so dumb.

There are threads on this board blaming Koch, KT, the rest of the board, Darren Burgess, Wines and Jonas. Previously the likes of Voss, Nicks, Lade, Wingard, Polec, Sam Gray and many others have faced a s**tload of heat. Janus is even blaming the supporters.

But ultimately, how the team plays is on Hinkley. That's his area of oversight. That's his responsibility. It's not complicated. His job is to get us playing better than the sum of our parts. He hasn't done it in at least 5 years. He's had some bad luck along the way but he's also had an enormous amount of support and resources that weren't granted to his predecessor.
I'm still not convinced why Ken cops so much more s**t than all the other names you just mentioned. It's simple, you have a role, and if you can't do it right then people will want someone else, fine, but explain to ME why the Ken threads get so much more attention than any other threads on the names you just mentioned. Because he's the senior coach and has a bigger role? Because he's been around longer than any one of those names? Maybe, but that still does not excuse people antagonising him the way they have. There's a difference in just wanting him to go, and targeting him and everything about his personality for it. I'm saying you, in particular, have done this, you've simply put the foot down and said you want him gone. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that, but then you have the people that call him out on minor and pointless ballshit like him drinking coke or how many wrinkles he has, and THIS is why this thread exists. Do you see people making insults about Sam Gray's appearance? or Wines personality? I'm not shifting the goal posts here, I'm not trying to deny that Ken has plentiful reason to be distrusted, but was talking about the extent that we take this to, not the intention itself. That's what this thread is, it's not a Ken thread, it's a thread about the supporters and our behaviour.

I hate us losing! I never want us to lose, and I know I can't cheer people up, I'm not trying to, but the behaviour after we lose if often a little bit over the top from my perspective, and it can frustrate me sometimes.
Well you know what frustrates me Apples? A list like ours looking every bit as bad as Gold Coast when we shouldn’t be. So if I and like minded people come here to vent maybe you could not try and put your Kencentric flawed views forth because that frustrates us.

See how we are all frustrated. You seem religious to me somehow so why don’t you turn the other cheek and just read our messages and reflect (in your head).

I'm still not convinced why Ken cops so much more s**t than all the other names you just mentioned. It's simple, you have a role, and if you can't do it right then people will want someone else, fine, but explain to ME why the Ken threads get so much more attention than any other threads on the names you just mentioned. Because he's the senior coach and has a bigger role? Because he's been around longer than any one of those names? Maybe, but that still does not excuse people antagonising him the way they have. There's a difference in just wanting him to go, and targeting him and everything about his personality for it. I'm saying you, in particular, have done this, you've simply put the foot down and said you want him gone. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that, but then you have the people that call him out on minor and pointless balls**t like him drinking coke or how many wrinkles he has, and THIS is why this thread exists. Do you see people making insults about Sam Gray's appearance? or Wines personality? I'm not shifting the goal posts here, I'm not trying to deny that Ken has plentiful reason to be distrusted, but was talking about the extent that we take this to, not the intention itself. That's what this thread is, it's not a Ken thread, it's a thread about the supporters and our behaviour.

You can ignore the bull***t reasons and digest the proper reasons … but you don't want to, you won't, and at the end of the day just say that you disapprove with supporters calling for Hinkley's sacking and that you want Hinkley to be extended as coach again for a few more years. Then explain to everybody how under Hinkley we can become the premiership team.

Well you know what frustrates me Apples? A list like ours looking every bit as bad as Gold Coast when we shouldn’t be. So if I and like minded people come here to vent maybe you could not try and put your Kencentric flawed views forth because that frustrates us.

See how we are all frustrated. You seem religious to me somehow so why don’t you turn the other cheek and just read our messages and reflect (in your head).
This is where I get confused. Most other places (Social media) where I share my thoughts the reception is pretty natural for me, nobody finds my thoughts jarring or pandering, it's straight forward and I usually get a straight forward response in return. I don't force my thoughts on other people even if sometimes it comes off that way, but this seems to be one of the few places where my perspective gets frequently challenged, I'm not exactly saying that's a bad thing, but it's very different to what I'm normally custom to, perhaps Bigfooty is different from what I was expecting. I guess I'm trying to say that my opinion and perspective mostly comes down to trying to be fair and balanced with my perspective while also looking at things in a critical manner when suitable, but it clearly hasn't come off that way. I'm actually frustrated that I've been saying things in Ken's defence as much as I have because he really wasn't one of my original priorities of conversation for me, but here we are. I'm not asking you to agree with my thoughts, but I don't think you should treat them like they're unnatural or unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not down to defence ineptitude, you'll find that West Coast and Adelaide, two finals teams we both beat, were both using strong defensive markers and big bodied defenders. I agree that bombing it into the f50 as we have doesn't take us anywhere, but once again that's a skill issue. Our forward structure itself isn't that bad, the way it functions though can very heavily depend on the midfields disposal into the f50.
Which has been bomb it on Charlie's head, for years. Head coach at fault.

You just shot down your own argument.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still not convinced why Ken cops so much more s**t than all the other names you just mentioned. It's simple, you have a role, and if you can't do it right then people will want someone else, fine, but explain to ME why the Ken threads get so much more attention than any other threads on the names you just mentioned. Because he's the senior coach and has a bigger role? Because he's been around longer than any one of those names? Maybe, but that still does not excuse people antagonising him the way they have. There's a difference in just wanting him to go, and targeting him and everything about his personality for it. I'm saying you, in particular, have done this, you've simply put the foot down and said you want him gone. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that, but then you have the people that call him out on minor and pointless balls**t like him drinking coke or how many wrinkles he has, and THIS is why this thread exists. Do you see people making insults about Sam Gray's appearance? or Wines personality? I'm not shifting the goal posts here, I'm not trying to deny that Ken has plentiful reason to be distrusted, but was talking about the extent that we take this to, not the intention itself. That's what this thread is, it's not a Ken thread, it's a thread about the supporters and our behaviour.
I agree with you that it gets way too personal on here and a lot of noxious irrelevant stuff is posted about Ken and I personally hate that stuff....

but getting back to Ken as a coach...he is the head coach and because of that the buck has to stop with him.
Even he himself said that this is a performance based industry and surely we can all agree that since 2014 we really have been sub par ( with the occasional but way too rare, good performance)

Last edited:
Everyone is an individual cog in the machine contributing to a big clock. Ken is obviously a bigger cog in the clock, the one who controls the handles, but at the same time if you have the other cogs slipping up too or not working in unison his cog isn't going to work properly anyway.
Yep, that's a very fair point. I don't think any of us excuse the players. But when weve had 3 rebuilds and multiple illogical game plans, there is a point you say the club needs a new big cog. It's just broken. Correct twice a day

People were sure Dew should be the man, but now he isn’t looking much chop to me, out of his depth.

I’ve always been Dew-agnostic, but some of the most celebrated coaches have been made to look like utterly incompetent spuds with a similar lack of cattle.

Blight at St Kilda, Pagan and Malthouse at Carlton, Sheedy at GWS, Williams at Port.

It's not uncommon for coaches to be unsuccessful. It is uncommon for unsuccessful coaches to be rewarded with lucrative contract extensions.

I’ve always been Dew-agnostic, but some of the most celebrated coaches have been made to look like utterly incompetent spuds with a similar lack of cattle.

Blight at St Kilda, Pagan and Malthouse at Carlton, Sheedy at GWS, Williams at Port.

Jarrad Lyons was BOG for the third placed Lions when they gave us an absolute hiding yesterday. The same Jarrad Lyons who was delisted from the Gold Coast because Dew didn't think he was gonna get a game for them. And this was just after he'd given a three year contract to Jordan Murdoch and traded a perfectly good draft pick for ******* George Horlin-Smith.

Sure, the cattle they've got now ain't great, but early signs are that Dew isn't gonna be much good at picking the right cattle.

Jarrad Lyons was BOG for the third placed Lions when they gave us an absolute hiding yesterday. The same Jarrad Lyons who was delisted from the Gold Coast because Dew didn't think he was gonna get a game for them. And this was just after he'd given a three year contract to Jordan Murdoch and traded a perfectly good draft pick for ******* George Horlin-Smith.

Sure, the cattle they've got now ain't great, but early signs are that Dew isn't gonna be much good at picking the right cattle.

I take your point, but how much of that is on this guy:

9E27DBEE-BBF2-44C6-9517-02EFFE1004DE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back