Mod. Notice Negativity Towards the Club and Personal Attacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi legends,

We want to clarify our position about the negativity that has inundated this board and the personal attacks that seem to follow as a result. The mods are posters too and we have found that this has affected our own enjoyment of our online community.

It's perfectly reasonable to criticise the club, heaven knows they've done their best to give us reasons. :) Salary cap, selection, recruiting, game plan... the list goes on. As passionate supporters we want to discuss our views which may not always be favourable.

Having said that, there are posters that will take pot-shots at the club no matter what the topic of discussion is. They disappear after a win only to show up with the same bile after a loss. They never balance that with any praise for a player or any enjoyment from seeing Collingwood do well.

That type of poster will face a different experience on this board from now on. This serves as fair notice.

We need to tackle this as a community, so it's perfectly valid for others to call this behaviour out without insulting or attacking the poster in question. This brings us to the second part of this post.

Buying into tiffs between other posters by saying "What would you expect poster X is a flog", is not on; it isn't helpful at all and just leads to further conflict.

This forum has been a part of my life since 2010 (I lurked for a year) and it has been an amazing resource. It's up to us to set the tone and the standard.

Cheers,
J for and on behalf of the mod. team

Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I will never understand the level of negativity from supporters at the moment

how long have you followed us? Have you been paying attention? When have we ever been low on the ladder for more than a few years?

Here’s what you do - get your magpies cup from the cupboard and make yourself a coffee, slip the 2010 flag DVD in or go and you tube and watch almost any Collingwood game (we have a winning record against every club in the league - are we tied with Carlton now?), and start imaging the arrival of the number 1 pick next year with the knowledge that if we win a flag before Essendon and Carlton we will have an undisputed claim to being the most successful team in history.

if you can’t see any positivity at all in the Club I have to wonder why you follow at all

Do you think this is likely? Pretty hard argument to suggest we are closer to a flag than the blose or the bomb outs.
Only if you're a glass half full kinda guy. Blues are a long way off, as evidenced by their insipid display against Nth yesterday. Bombers? They're on the up I guess, but I have seen a lot of improvement in our young guns that makes me think, once we get a good new coach like Pike, Kingsley or Yze installed, we will rocket up the ladder.

Only if you're a glass half full kinda guy. Blues are a long way off, as evidenced by their insipid display against Nth yesterday. Bombers? They're on the up I guess, but I have seen a lot of improvement in our young guns that makes me think, once we get a good new coach like Pike, Kingsley or Yze installed, we will rocket up the ladder.

Of course that's possible, the blose are inconsistent and the bomb outs are on the up, either either right now it seems they're both closer than what we are. Hard to know if we can overtake them and win a flag(s) before they do - odds are against that IMV.

Of course that's possible, the blose are inconsistent and the bomb outs are on the up, either either right now it seems they're both closer than what we are. Hard to know if we can overtake them and win a flag(s) before they do - odds are against that IMV.
Possibly so, but I'm happy to focus on what I think will be an improved showing from our young team under the guidance of what I hope will be a good coach. Whether we win a flag before Essendon or Carlton is not really my main focus.

Possibly so, but I'm happy to focus on what I think will be an improved showing from our young team under the guidance of what I hope will be a good coach. Whether we win a flag before Essendon or Carlton is not really my main focus.

Here's hoping it's the clubs focus. They are the enemy and if we want bragging rights as supporters you'd want us to win it before they do.

I will never understand the level of negativity from supporters at the moment

how long have you followed us? Have you been paying attention? When have we ever been low on the ladder for more than a few years?

Here’s what you do - get your magpies cup from the cupboard and make yourself a coffee, slip the 2010 flag DVD in or go and you tube and watch almost any Collingwood game (we have a winning record against every club in the league - are we tied with Carlton now?), and start imaging the arrival of the number 1 pick next year with the knowledge that if we win a flag before Essendon and Carlton we will have an undisputed claim to being the most successful team in history.

if you can’t see any positivity at all in the Club I have to wonder why you follow at all
I’ve tried to examine my negativity to the club. I’m pretty sure part of it is my resentment (justified or not) of 29 occasions at the big dance without a W, 10 of those in my life time. I try to separate the past from the present but don’t have the maturity to do so when emotion trumps intellect, as it often does. My guess is I’m not the only one of my vintage who has GFSD. Not to trivialise those with genuine PTSD and other serious challenges.

Do you think this is likely? Pretty hard argument to suggest we are closer to a flag than the blose or the bomb outs.

in 2015 I made a bet with a Geelong supporting friend that Collingwood or the Western Bulldogs would win a flag before the Cats (teams who my friends barrack for). He scoffed in my face, laughed at my expense for 18 months right up until GF day 2016 where he lost the bet.

my point is footy changes quickly

Essendon haven’t won a final in 6000+ days!
Carlton have been a laughing stock for 20 years.
Yet you think Collingwood are no where near it? Just seems a bit negative to me. We’ve appeared in 5 grand finals and they’ve done SFA Over the last 20 years. Pattern has been we drop they pass us then we shoot back up while they tread water

so yep I’d say the chances are pretty good

high picks coming - can’t you sense it?
Last time we were this bad we were premiers 5 years later

I’ve tried to examine my negativity to the club. I’m pretty sure part of it is my resentment (justified or not) of 29 occasions at the big dance without a W, 10 of those in my life time. I try to separate the past from the present but don’t have the maturity to do so when emotion trumps intellect, as it often does. My guess is I’m not the only one of my vintage who has GFSD. Not to trivialise those with genuine PTSD and other serious challenges.

I reckon that’s pretty pessimistic

29 without a win? You don’t count the 15 we won? Whilst those 29 were accumulating we won regularly

counting the draws? Seems like a glass half empty approach esp when we won one of those the next week

You’ve seen 8 losses and 2 wins then? More than most.
Geelong think they are all time greats and most have only seen 3 flags

so 3 flags is non stop awesomeness and 2 flag is a catastrophe? I don’t follow that

maybe I’m just a positive person

in 2015 I made a bet with a Geelong supporting friend that Collingwood or the Western Bulldogs would win a flag before the Cats (teams who my friends barrack for). He scoffed in my face, laughed at my expense for 18 months right up until GF day 2016 where he lost the bet.

my point is footy changes quickly

Essendon haven’t won a final in 6000+ days!
Carlton have been a laughing stock for 20 years.
Yet you think Collingwood are no where near it? Just seems a bit negative to me. We’ve appeared in 5 grand finals and they’ve done SFA Over the last 20 years. Pattern has been we drop they pass us then we shoot back up while they tread water

so yep I’d say the chances are pretty good

high picks coming - can’t you sense it?
Last time we were this bad we were premiers 5 years later

This is very optimistic, there is no known universe we're closer than those two right at the minute. You're pinning your hopes on what has happened in the past two decades.

That doesn't mean it's a fait accompli it happens again, those two basket cases won't be down forever, and we ain't shooting up into contention in the immediate future either. And no we aren't anywhere near it right now.

Would take flawless development and planets aligning for that to happen from where we sit right now.

This is very optimistic, there is no known universe we're closer than those two right at the minute. You're pinning your hopes on what has happened in the past two decades.

That doesn't mean it's a fait accompli it happens again, those two basket cases won't be down forever, and we ain't shooting up into contention in the immediate future either. And no we aren't anywhere near it right now.

Would take flawless development and planets aligning for that to happen from where we sit right now.

but again, it doesn’t matter who is “closer” to a flag on July 28,2021.

When I made that bet Geelong were second on the ladder and dogs and pies were 12-15th. Geelong were “closer” and it didn’t matter

Carlton are nearing another rebuild - we’ve already started ours
Essendon are heading in the right direction

neither you nor I know what the future holds - no reason to assume it will be bad

jeff gieshen said last week our list is in better shape than people think - said we could be making finals again in 2-3 years

moreover rebuilds are short now - 3 years can alter everything

I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone always thinks the sky is falling
Used to have the exact same convos on here in 2005 - i won that bet too!

but again, it doesn’t matter who is “closer” to a flag on July 28,2021.

When I made that bet Geelong were second on the ladder and dogs and pies were 12-15th. Geelong were “closer” and it didn’t matter

Carlton are nearing another rebuild - we’ve already started ours
Essendon are heading in the right direction

neither you nor I know what the future holds - no reason to assume it will be bad

jeff gieshen said last week our list is in better shape than people think - said we could be making finals again in 2-3 years

moreover rebuilds are short now - 3 years can alter everything

I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone always thinks the sky is falling
Used to have the exact same convos on here in 2005 - i won that bet too!

The blose are nearing a rebuild? Have you got a link? Or are you confusing a FD review as the same thing?

You allude negativity on my part, that's your interpretation, I'm just posting from what I see. We are in a rebuild that we shouldn't be in with a poor draft hand to use, we can only improve with coaching and development. Yes we get ND, but he won't be the messiah. The best we can hope for is finals contention in two to three years.

This year and next year is rebuild mode, the bomb outs are certainly past us in that sense and the blose are potential not realised. As soon as they're managed they way they should be their potential is much higher than ours.

I reckon that’s pretty pessimistic

29 without a win? You don’t count the 15 we won? Whilst those 29 were accumulating we won regularly

counting the draws? Seems like a glass half empty approach esp when we won one of those the next week

You’ve seen 8 losses and 2 wins then? More than most.
Geelong think they are all time greats and most have only seen 3 flags

so 3 flags is non stop awesomeness and 2 flag is a catastrophe? I don’t follow that

maybe I’m just a positive person
I acknowledge your perspective. I just wanted to point out that the success rate of 15 out of 42 is something I carry with me and it taints my view of the club in the present. First world problem of mine and I’m guessing of a few other fans in my age group. A 50% success rate would be magic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The blose are nearing a rebuild? Have you got a link? Or are you confusing a FD review as the same thing?

You allude negativity on my part, that's your interpretation, I'm just posting from what I see. We are in a rebuild that we shouldn't be in with a poor draft hand to use, we can only improve with coaching and development. Yes we get ND, but he won't be the messiah. The best we can hope for is finals contention in two to three years.

This year and next year is rebuild mode, the bomb outs are certainly past us in that sense and the blose are potential not realised. As soon as they're managed they way they should be their potential is much higher than ours.

IMHO pick 1 and pick 35 (where
Dib is projected to fall) is a very strong draft hand

not the messiah - you may be right. Cal Twomey called him possibly the most complete player at junior level there’s been.
If that’s not a strong draft I wonder if anyone has one

IMHO pick 1 and pick 35 (where
Dib is projected to fall) is a very strong draft hand

not the messiah - you may be right. Cal Twomey called him possibly the most complete player at junior level there’s been.
If that’s not a strong draft I wonder if anyone has one

Either either the club has put itself in shitty position draft wise considering of where we're at performance wise.

It's hard to stay positive about a club that has zero consideration for its members when it comes to communicating ticketing info for upcoming games, especially for interstate members who have ONE local game to attend. Time and time again they give NOTHING. Payment due emails are always on time though.

It's hard to stay positive about a club that has zero consideration for its members when it comes to communicating ticketing info for upcoming games, especially for interstate members who have ONE local game to attend. Time and time again they give NOTHING. Payment due emails are always on time though.

I'm with you on that. They're better than they used to be but still not where they should be with member comms.

Hard to do well on that front this year with the uncertainty of the schedule.

Just a reminder the rules that we agreed to when we all first signed on to Big Footy have been changed slightly. See below.

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is:
  • dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • Racism
  • Any form of homophobia or transphobia
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • likely to offend,
  • spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity,
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others,

Just a reminder the rules that we agreed to when we all first signed on to Big Footy have been changed slightly. See below.

• Racism
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • likely to offend,
  • spam or spam-like,
  • encourages unlawful activity,
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others,
Can we still bag the s**t out of Dayne Beams finger painting though?

Can we still bag the sh*t out of Dayne Beams finger painting though?
Sadly that won't work as there will be someone out there that likes his paintings which would the end up in someone 'playing the man'.

I realise we can all get frustrated at times with a poster or two but we would like this to be a place where we can disagree without the putdowns, baiting, trolling or name calling.

i'm looking for a solid effort in these two areas this year. The covid thing has brought with it isolation and negativity and this has made it fairly easy to deflect these bad feelings onto the club and other posters. It's not going to be so easy this year.

• Racism
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • likely to offend,
  • spam or spam-like,