NEIL BALME, A Tale of Two Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like being a top read

Balme had a brain seizure in September 2020 that saw him wake up in the back of an ambulance outside his house after collapsing. Balme chose to remain at Richmond to honour his contract and help introduce the next wave of talent but admits he was perilously close to leaving for the Crows.

Bought a kindle version after reading this thread yesterday. What a page turner. Especially if you can remember seeing Balme play. Some of the quotes are priceless, like this one that is very relevant to current coaching moves:

Football clubs on a long downer eventually, having tried all else, become desperate and begin searching for a messiah to lead them out of the wilderness.

...no matter how many times they are shown to be false prophets, the new messiah will have a history of winning flags and be a known genius...

The Melbourne Football Club had already tried the supercoach. In 1981 Ron Barassi had returned to his alma mater as king of the football world, brandishing the bouquet of four premierships he’d coached at Carlton and North Melbourne. The fanfare hushed over the next few years, and Ron was quietly demoted as a messiah as Melbourne remained a football team that wasn’t keeping opposition coaches up at night. In five years, the supercoach coached Melbourne to thirty-four wins and seventy-seven losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bought a copy...
...Balmey watching the 1973 GF with his sons on tv...down goes Southby and then Vin Waite...
...On the sofa , the eyes of the Balme kids grew bigger and bigger until Will. his incredulous youngest son, asked, 'Is that you?'
...Well.....yes and no, their father replied

20220826_140723.jpg

Half way through....bloody good read!

Just saw Balme give an interview to some smart arse reporter from channel 7 or 10, deflecting the incident, telling the message - we have a job to do.

Though for a few seconds though, I thought the reporter was going to get the Southby treatment ...

Neil Balme and Brendan Gale have to stay on.

If this Hopper and Taranto trade does not come up with the goods as I suspect it might we will be needing a new coach and team after Dimma's current tenure

Have to keep Matt Clarke and Co regardless I think.

We will need new people in with a far greater development focus that can build from within is what I am predicting empowering the youngsters to improve and strive to get the best out of themselves

Neil Balme and Brendan Gale have to stay on.

If this Hopper and Taranto trade does not come up with the goods as I suspect it might we will be needing a new coach and team after Dimma's current tenure

Have to keep Matt Clarke and Co regardless I think.

We will need new people in with a far greater development focus that can build from within is what I am predicting empowering the youngsters to improve and strive to get the best out of themselves

Magic, can you please conduct a full review of football operations by lunchtime and give us a complete list of people we need to sack and some suitable replacements. 😁

Just watched the front bar.....and I was lucky to see success in the Hafey era. Balme was a great player is a great footy manager. Piviotal to have brought him back to the club. I hope he hangs around

Lucky to break our flag drought in 17. Tarranto and Hopper would place us well for flag no 4.
In Neil we trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back