Rumour Neil Balme is not the Head of Football

In the wake of the Balme bad news, do you think Darren Burgess will be at the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
My Production Manager is 70 next month. Up until 12 months ago, he was spritely, and often challenged me to a race up the stairs etc.

Now, he potters around and repeatedly asks the same questions, I think age is really starting to catch up with him.
Send him a thank you card for the big payrise he promised you

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone believe getting Balme makes us contenders? Or even more so, would not having Balme have meant Richmond and Geelong wouldn’t have won premierships?

The answer to both is no. Some massive over rating of not just Balme, but the role he’s played in other clubs success IMO. In the end of the day it’s the players and the coaches that win premierships. Sure he’s had some influence and input, but there are a lot of successes he’s has nothing to do with.

I’ll be much more disappointed if we don’t trade in any quality players this off season.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone believe getting Balme makes us contenders? Or even more so, would not having Balme have meant Richmond and Geelong wouldn’t have won premierships?

The answer to both is no. Some massive over rating of not just Balme, but the role he’s played in other clubs success IMO. In the end of the day it’s the players and the coaches that win premierships. Sure he’s had some influence and input, but there are a lot of successes he’s has nothing to do with.

I’ll be much more disappointed if we don’t trade in any quality players this off season.
He would certainly make a difference and improve our football dept

What an odd thing to say supporting a club that had a window (and quite likely a dynasty, seeing we still managed to make a grand final after draft sanctions, and losing our main superstar) ruined due to multiple moments of poor governance from our off-field staff.

And yeah, I'd be comfortable to go so far as to say Richmond or Geelong do not win s**t with Balme. Richmond especially, seeing he was recruited in the 2016 off-season.

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
What an odd thing to say supporting a club that had a window (and quite likely a dynasty, seeing we still managed to make a grand final after draft sanctions, and losing our main superstar) ruined due to multiple moments of poor governance from our off-field staff.

And yeah, I'd be comfortable to go so far as to say Richmond or Geelong do not win sh*t with Balme. Richmond especially, seeing he was recruited in the 2016 off-season.
So after they built the team and hired the coach and about 95% of everything else that won the premiership in 17.

Sorry I reckon your wrong. He jumped on at the right time IMO.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks

You might be looking at it the right way. Yeah nah.

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
He would certainly make a difference and improve our football dept
No doubt. Won’t win us a flag though.

I’ll clarify a bit what I mean when I say people over rate the influence he and other football managers have. I think bad ones can stop you from winning, while good ones don’t. Balme isn’t the only good one and isn’t the only answer to making out football department better.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No doubt. Won’t win us a flag though.

I’ll clarify a bit what I mean when I say people over rate the influence he and other football managers have. I think bad ones can stop you from winning, while good ones don’t. Balme isn’t the only good one and isn’t the only answer to making out football department better.
Can you name a better one?

And yeah, I'd be comfortable to go so far as to say Richmond or Geelong do not win sh*t with Balme. Richmond especially, seeing he was recruited in the 2016 off-season.

Convincing ourselves that we didn't need him anyway is classic Adelaide bigfooty board.

images

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Convincing ourselves that we didn't need him anyway is classic Adelaide bigfooty board.

images

Yep, Balme just hops on board teams who are about to win. Right place, right time.

And he chose not to come to us.

Hang on...

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can you name a better one?
That’s how important they are. I don’t even know who Hawthorns was in their dynasty. Don’t know who was Brisbane’s in their trilogy. Funnily in those instances it was the coach and the players who is recognised as the reason they won.
We made it to a grand final against Richmond and lost it on the field. Not because Neil Balme was sitting in the stand in a Richmond polo.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s how important they are. I don’t even know who Hawthorns was in their dynasty. Don’t know who was Brisbane’s in their trilogy. Funnily in those instances it was the coach and the players who is recognised as the reason they won.
We made it to a grand final against Richmond and lost it on the field. Not because Neil Balme was sitting in the stand in a Richmond polo.
Wow I think that’s a somewhat naive outlook on the influence they can have

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow I think that’s a somewhat naive outlook on the influence they can have
Brett Burton is the best example of what influence they can have.

I’m not bagging Balme. He’s probably very good at his job. It’s more important that he’s not bad at it.

I think having the best coaches and the best players is 1000% more important than having Neil Balme.

I don’t know how good Kelly is. He must be ordinary in the eyes of Silvers though if he’s looking to bring anyone else in. That worries me a bit. I’m surprised he hasn’t sought out the mystery man who guided Hawthorn to 4 flags??

I’m sort of relieved that he hasn’t sounded out Clarkson. Maybe he actually rates Nicks and thinks he’s the right guy to actually make the calls that win games and premierships.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brett Burton is the best example of what influence they can have.

I’m not bagging Balme. He’s probably very good at his job. It’s more important that he’s not bad at it.

I think having the best coaches and the best players is 1000% more important than having Neil Balme.

I don’t know how good Kelly is. He must be ordinary in the eyes of Silvers though if he’s looking to bring anyone else in. That worries me a bit. I’m surprised he hasn’t sought out the mystery man who guided Hawthorn to 4 flags??

I’m sort of relieved that he hasn’t sounded out Clarkson. Maybe he actually rates Nicks and thinks he’s the right guy to actually make the calls that win games and premierships.
Hardwick was close to being sacked prior to Balme’s appointment, you don’t think Balme May have had some influence about his coaching

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Pretty sure it was Chris Fagan and Gubby Allen.

Both have pretty good reputations and renowned for running great football departments,

I think Gubby is at GWS now??

Perhaps why GWS has done so much better the Gold Coast.

We all know where Crhis Fagan is and what hes managed to do.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure it was Chris Fagan and Gubby Allen.

Both have pretty good reputations and renowned for running great football departments,

I think Gubby is at GWS now??

Perhaps why GWS has done so much better the Gold Coast.

We all know where Crhis Fagan is and what hes managed to do.
Gubby was at GWS then went to Collingwood until he was suspended for 12m IIRC over the Lachie Whitfield drugs incident.

Now at the Saints I believe.

Not the gold standard in footy managers.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gubby was at GWS then went to Collingwood until he was suspended for 12m IIRC over the Lachie Whitfield drugs incident.

Now at the Saints I believe.

Not the gold standard in footy managers.
Ah I see.

Alan Richardson was the other one that was pretty highly regarded as a football Director.

Not sure where he's ended up.

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hardwick was close to being sacked prior to Balme’s appointment, you don’t think Balme May have had some influence about his coaching
Perhaps he did. He definitely isn’t the core reason they have won 3 of the last 4 though. Dusty, Cotchin and Hardwick are 3 bigger reasons among a plethora of others.

Just my opinion.

We can build a club worthy of a premiership without him.

Back