News Neil Balme - Appointed GM of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Very in a football management position. Do you remember what Balme's role was in the mid 90's? The role you would like Balme to fill takes a different skillset than coaching which Buckley clearly isn't suited too.

I don't expect to convince a single person that Buckley would be an ideal candidate because I doubt I'd be able to convince more than a handful of Collingwood posters and we've had to put up with him for five seasons.

That said think about what an individual needs to succeed in the role in terms of football IQ, look back on what each mature recruit has said about Buckley when joining Collingwood and whether Balme really would be an ideal candidate. You might not agree re Buckley (it could never happen anyway because he'd have to admit he's not up to being a senior coach) and that's cool, but I'm confident you can do better than Balme who I believe has moved past being the main man in the football department.

Are people just guessing about him going to Brisbane or do you have info?
I've seen it hinted at in the news that the afl will pay for him to go to the lions as a sort of priority pick alternitive. People are assuming a bit like Roos to Dees. Would not put passed the afl.

QUOTE="Jonesracing82, post: 46383427, member: 126700"]he was at Geelong during thier era so he did very well there![/QUOTE]
Yeah and Dimma and Ross Smith were at the Hawks , hasn't done them any good .

bring balmey, knights and Duncan kellaway back. blokes who's hearts bleed yellow and black. balmey won't take any sh#!, time to dump the entire coaching list bar rutten. sack the development, recruiting, fitness, strength and conditioning departments in their entirety. Get derek hine, matt Rendell too while we're at it. would be great seeing balmey cut a swathe through the board while the music from Excalibur blares in the background lol

Personally I don't care if Balme comes or not. There have been a number of occasions where Richmond administrators have requested, pleaded for ex-premiership players to come back to the club in an official manner. Sheedy is well documented, there were a number of attempts to get him back but he just used Richmond as a means to bump his salary/conditions at Essendon. Malthouse to a lesser extent was approached and turned Richmond down. Balme another who has been approached as a Football Manager and chose Colonwood. These players talk fondly of their time at Richmond which gave them their status but then do not want to be involved and choose other clubs. Same sort of thing with Cloke, Richmond made a strong pitch on all of the Clokes and Daddy Cloke decided that Pies were better choice for all of his boys. Fast forward and when the other clubs don't want them, then they start to consider Richmond. I'm all for getting the best possible person for the job be they ex-Richmond or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I don't care if Balme comes or not. There have been a number of occasions where Richmond administrators have requested, pleaded for ex-premiership players to come back to the club in an official manner. Sheedy is well documented, there were a number of attempts to get him back but he just used Richmond as a means to bump his salary/conditions at Essendon. Malthouse to a lesser extent was approached and turned Richmond down. Balme another who has been approached as a Football Manager and chose Colonwood. These players talk fondly of their time at Richmond which gave them their status but then do not want to be involved and choose other clubs. Same sort of thing with Cloke, Richmond made a strong pitch on all of the Clokes and Daddy Cloke decided that Pies were better choice for all of his boys. Fast forward and when the other clubs don't want them, then they start to consider Richmond. I'm all for getting the best possible person for the job be they ex-Richmond or not.

There must be some obvious reasons they all choose not to come back to the club...

Personally I don't care if Balme comes or not. There have been a number of occasions where Richmond administrators have requested, pleaded for ex-premiership players to come back to the club in an official manner. Sheedy is well documented, there were a number of attempts to get him back but he just used Richmond as a means to bump his salary/conditions at Essendon. Malthouse to a lesser extent was approached and turned Richmond down. Balme another who has been approached as a Football Manager and chose Colonwood.

Malthouse recently did a segment with Rex Hunt where he mentioned that after he retired the Richmond board approached him to coach the senior team then withdrew the offer a few days later because they felt that appointing a coach just after playing was too much of a risk as they had just got rid of Francis Bourke after he went from playing straight into coaching. They then offered him the reserves coaching job and again after a couple of days withdrew that offer because they felt he was too ambitious and didn't want the senior coach looking over his shoulder. Wow.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this post.

If the ex-Richmond people are the best in the business, then take them. If they are not (or are no longer), then look elsewhere. Many of the ex-Richmond people themselves went to places they probably considered better than Richmond and got their success as indeed those clubs were in a better state than Richmond. The club should do the same if they want success. Get the best in the business irrespective of what club they were from.

There must be some obvious reasons they all choose not to come back to the club...
I think Richmond had the reputation of being a ruthless club where success was required immediately or else you'd be sacked. This was the case until 2000 when Richmond gave a very ordinary coach who was a real spud 5 years, then another coach 5 years etc. The reputation of ruthlessness cannot be used as an excuse in the last 15 or so years. Sheedy, Malthouse and others have all been approached in this time frame and said no. It probably didn't help that our list during those years was worse than some of the others. Had one of them come when approached it would have generated some excitement and who knows may have attracted some talent and enthusiasm. It also didn't help that we had legends refuse to have anything to do with the club for many years, but if you love a club you make personal sacrifices. With some of the ex-players it only extends to annual reunions.

Put a line through him

Sen reporting he was seen in qld last week, and swann today said they will be appointing an experienced head of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back