Neon Genesis

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember watching thisas a kid and liking it but thinking, wtf? The wierd thing is that the show had two very different endings, both good IMO, but liked the violent ending better though. :D :thumbsu:

Favourity character by far was shinji, followed by Rei, I hated Asuka and Katsuragi.

What do you guys think about this series? Good? Bad? It tends to polarise people, some people can handle the bizzareness and wierd characters, others don't like it.

classic show, and you're right - it does polarise people. You either love it, or you hate it. I love it.There is ********loads written about this show all over the net, with people analysising it way too much IMHO.I liked the mind-******** ending to the series, rather than the movies. The movies were originally supposed to be the Director's way of saying "******** you" to the crazy fans out in Japan.Honestly, although I could understand where he was coming from, I didn't like shinji that much. Auska was just a sad story though.there are 4 new movies set to be released sometime over the next coouple of years.

classic show, and you're right - it does polarise people. You either love it, or you hate it. I love it.There is ********loads written about this show all over the net, with people analysising it way too much IMHO.I liked the mind-******** ending to the series, rather than the movies. The movies were originally supposed to be the Director's way of saying "******** you" to the crazy fans out in Japan.Honestly, although I could understand where he was coming from, I didn't like shinji that much. Auska was just a sad story though.there are 4 new movies set to be released sometime over the next coouple of years.

Interesting, even if he said fkuk you, they were still good IMO, watched end again, interesting end I can say. Alot of existentialism and psychology, really interesting I thought.

My favorite series of all time. Absolute masterpeice IMO. I'm one of the fools who reads all the over-analysis all over the net. I love the series. Watch it every few months. It's just so well written and directed. So perfectly done. So many amazing moments. I like both the endings, cant pick a favorite because I switch between them abit :p
Theyre making 3 live action Eva movies, and 4 new animated films also. It's been 10 years now, and it's still insanely popular. Not sure if I want the new stuff being made, because I dont want the story ruined. It's just so perfect....

If you wanna read essays etc on it, go to evamonkey.com. Should be links and stuff there.

My favorite series of all time. Absolute masterpeice IMO. I'm one of the fools who reads all the over-analysis all over the net. I love the series. Watch it every few months. It's just so well written and directed. So perfectly done. So many amazing moments. I like both the endings, cant pick a favorite because I switch between them abit :p
Theyre making 3 live action Eva movies, and 4 new animated films also. It's been 10 years now, and it's still insanely popular. Not sure if I want the new stuff being made, because I dont want the story ruined. It's just so perfect....

If you wanna read essays etc on it, go to evamonkey.com. Should be links and stuff there.

interesting, I didn't know about the THREE live action movies. I'd heard WETA were involved in some concept art for a possible hollywood EVA movie (which I know they'll screw up....)

Yeah WETA are involved. Here's a link to some concept art on their website. http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/galleries/neon_genesis

Some of that stuff dates all the way back to 2002, so its been in the works for a while. There was a rumored budget of $300 million, but it's only a rumor at this stage.
Robin Williams is very into Eva also, and has been promoting it in the US apparently, and is said to have a part in this production. Whether that's producing or playing a role (Gendo?) is still unknown also.If you go watch 'One Hour Photo', the main kid has the mass produced Eva as a toy. Some of Williams handy work;)

Yeah WETA are involved. Here's a link to some concept art on their website. http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/galleries/neon_genesis

Some of that stuff dates all the way back to 2002, so its been in the works for a while. There was a rumored budget of $300 million, but it's only a rumor at this stage.
Robin Williams is very into Eva also, and has been promoting it in the US apparently, and is said to have a part in this production. Whether that's producing or playing a role (Gendo?) is still unknown also.If you go watch 'One Hour Photo', the main kid has the mass produced Eva as a toy. Some of Williams handy work;)

robin williams as gendo.... hmmm, that's something I never would have pictured in my head. Love the guys work and have liked his serious stuff too. While I can't picture it, I'm not opposed to it, very interesting....

now that you mention it, I do remember hearing something aobut robin loving eva somewhere. I still can't see eva working as a single movie - or even a trillogy. Of course, on this subject I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

way I see it though, hollywood will ******** with eva, it's just a matter of how much. Having followed the development of the Transformers Live action movie, I've seen the concept evolve from G1 to "based on G1" to "what the hell is megatron looking like a bug for?". the problem with the production here was even though the initial Producer (Don Murphy) "got" transformers, he wasn't a fan of it. He knew what they wanted, and understood the geek factor but I still dont think he was a fan, in the end he got the big things that the fans asked for (the VA's) but overlooked the things the fan's took for granted (like the look/feel of the characters).

I can see something very similar happening here. To combat this there must be a fanboy behind the camera, not heaps of them but there must be at least one fanboy. The maxtrix brothers (I'm not even going to try and spell their names) in the least "get" anime in general, so I would be happy for them to be involved.

The more I think about it, the cooler it seems for Robin Willaims to be Gendo. His more recent serious stuff has been fantastic IMO, and if he is really passionate about Eva, then it would make sense for him to be involved and really want to put in a good performance. And he looks the part IMO. Imagine the below picture, with glasses and the chin-strap beard. Definately a good resemblance.
robin_williams.jpg

I do agree though, that if it goes ahead it will probably be ruined, and I really dont want to see that, because the story, the direction, the characters, all just perfect IMO.

The more I think about it, the cooler it seems for Robin Willaims to be Gendo. His more recent serious stuff has been fantastic IMO, and if he is really passionate about Eva, then it would make sense for him to be involved and really want to put in a good performance. And he looks the part IMO. Imagine the below picture, with glasses and the chin-strap beard. Definately a good resemblance.
robin_williams.jpg

I do agree though, that if it goes ahead it will probably be ruined, and I really dont want to see that, because the story, the direction, the characters, all just perfect IMO.

completely agree that robin is a left feild choice, but he is a very good actor in my opinion. A little stubble here and the glasses...:thumbsu:

if Anno (at least) is brought on board as a script consultant, then I'm sure they could hammer out a working story, but I have my doubts if they'll let the kids remain kids. I suspect they'll age them which will be a massive mistake. A key component of Eva is the way the kids react to the pressures, not adults but the kids. Making shinji an adult would remove all sympathy from the character.

The US can't do animae, they just always screw it up (refer to all the suicide inducing pokemon movies :eek: :thumbsdown:) at least Williams would do an okay job, but for this they might get B grade actors. :(

Anyhoo, thanks for the websit travis, it's good and explains alot of the questions I had about the series.

The US can't do animae, they just always screw it up (refer to all the suicide inducing pokemon movies :eek: :thumbsdown:) at least Williams would do an okay job, but for this they might get B grade actors. :(

Anyhoo, thanks for the websit travis, it's good and explains alot of the questions I had about the series.

if they do eva it won't be a B-grade attempt, they'll try to make it a success. The problem lies in if they can get the creative talent behind the scene's that "get" it.

p.s. I could have sworn pokemon was made in japan. I know we (the west) got a censored pokemon series, but I thought the movies were japanese in origin?

pps williams is a gun

if they do eva it won't be a B-grade attempt, they'll try to make it a success. The problem lies in if they can get the creative talent behind the scene's that "get" it.

p.s. I could have sworn pokemon was made in japan. I know we (the west) got a censored pokemon series, but I thought the movies were japanese in origin?

pps williams is a gun

I think some of the pokemon movies were made in the US, oculd be wrong though.

There are other examples of the US stuffing up animae though, although I can't think of one atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back