Stats & History Nerd Thought Experiment: Did the Hurricanes fold after S03, or did they rebrand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunched over some old newspapers in the Sweet Municipal Library I found something interesting. After picking it off my leg with a paperclip I returned to the newspapers and saw this:

Thread from Thrawn titled: "IF NO-ONE IS WILLING TO TAKE OVER THE HURRICANES" contained the following quote:

... then I'll be in the market. Although I'd like to create a Carlton team, is it too late for that? Well if I can't manage to create a new team, then I'm up for grabs. Finished 2nd in marks and goalkicking (behind BT by 1 goal and 1 mark), play FF but I've played centre at the start of my career. I am a consistent player and I am willing to help any team to achieve success.

Thread from Thrawn titled: "A NEW CARLTON SFA TEAM" included the following quote:

To apply, just post here:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107285 <-- this link was broken, see note below

Hopefully we can get this team on the road!

PS. Mobbs, any specifics I need to know before I continue?

Edit from Mobbs - this thread link suffered from a number of site updates and software changes; it stopped working. I have managed to find the original and here is the correct link as of 2012 : http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/a-carlton-bigfooty-sfa-team-who-wants-to-be-involved.107285/

When the Hurricanes FFC fell apart after the third season of the Sweet FA, it was jotted down as a club loss. However, it seems that Thrawn showed interest in taking over the management at Storm Stadium, then on the same day announced an attention to field a Carlton-based expansion team - which took the field in Season 04 as the Blues Brothers.

It's not entirely clear, given, but this would suggest it is possible that the Hurricanes, instead of folding after S03, morphed into the Blues Brothers, who played the one season in S04.

I get that Thrawn had really abandoned his idea of assuming management of the 'canes, and started a different team. But that's way less satisfying the considering it a rebrand, or at least a form of linkage akin to that of the Razors and the Dingos. I love me. Do you love me? I love me.

Also: Hi Thrawn :)

Does this mean the Hurricanes are the true predecessors to the Bombers? :p

Does this mean the Hurricanes are the true predecessors to the Bombers? :p
Haha no, Blues Brothers were distinct from the Bombers .... as far as I know! (Both teams competed in Season 04)
Not quite the same as the Warriors' clear links to the Sharks ;)
Oh oh oh and the Bears links to the Junkyard Dogs! :D hey Dingster !

And to extend the family tree - Pagan's Ducks.

You have North blood in you Cadaver :north:
And I was reminded today that it can be extended even further to include the name used prior to Season 01 starting : "Ardent XVIII" !
Wow, pukarama!

I vote separate clubs.
I'm inclined to follow you on this, but I have some questions:
How did the Blues entered the league? At the time, one just needed to field a team to join in or were there rules for club membership?

I'm inclined to follow you on this, but I have some questions:
How did the Blues entered the league? At the time, one just needed to field a team to join in or were there rules for club membership?
One just needed to field a team and the admin basically had to be cool with it. That’s it really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One just needed to field a team and the admin basically had to be cool with it. That’s it really.
So, I am convinced that your opinion is the right one.

---

P.S.: The thread title is "Nerd Thought Experiment," which basically means "Hey, GremioPower, check this out! What do you think?"

So, I am convinced that your opinion is the right one.

---

P.S.: The thread title is "Nerd Thought Experiment," which basically means "Hey, GremioPower, check this out! What do you think?"
Your interest is admirable. There are plenty of nuggets in the archives, have fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back