Neroli Meadows

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did she price herself out of a job, not many vacancies, lots of wouldbes'.

Don't think Fox were happy with her going to host TFS. I'd say this is just a case of cutting costs and she was asking for more than they were willing to pay. Fox definitely have worse personalities on there but they probably also get paid a lot less.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm inclined to agree with the poster who quoted a post of mine suggesting NM didn't accept the terms of a revised contract which might have played a part in Fox's reason to part ways with her. I think that might be on the mark. Speaking of 'On The Mark', not sure that show will be much chop without Neroli.

Her axing can't be down to her ability. There are plenty of people Fox would have been wise to part with to cut costs instead of Neroli. Brett Finch (Fox League), Archie Thompson (Fox Football/Soccer), Cameron Mooney, Bob Murphy, Leigh Montagna, Ben Dixon, Dwayne Russell and Jon Ralph all come to mind. I'm sure there are more than just the group I mentioned.

The first of those 3 butcher the English language, the next three add little, Dwayne gets paid ( rather handsomely I assume) to be rubbish and somebody within Fox could do what Jon Ralph does. They could have parted with the 8 I mentioned and saved some money in the process.

I saw a story, admittedly from an unreliable source, claiming that she wasn't well liked hence she got the axe. It's not the first time I've seen that point made. From what I saw on TV, i perceived her to be a nice, pleasant, bubbly person who'd be fun to be around. Maybe what I (and maybe others) saw on TV wouldn't be a case of what you'd get if you worked with her.

Trying to save a sinking ship, otherwise known as hosting the footy show didn't sound like a great idea at the time and might been a nail or two in her coffin at Fox. They could easily have said no and not budged on that though so they must have been happy to let her host the show in the end.

Rightly or wrongly, sacking a female sports journalist was never going to go down well so sacking one of your better ones isn't a great idea unless it is simply unavoidable. Patrick Delaney defended Fox's record in giving female sports journalists a chance but much of the condemnation I saw come the way of Fox was down to a damn good journo getting the axe.

I'll remember her time at Fox first and foremost by the wonderful work she did covering the deaths of Phil Hughes, Drew Morhpett and Danny Frawley. She's damn good at her job and whoever she works for next will be pretty fortunate. Outside of one or two things, I'm a fan of Neroli hence why I may come across as biased but overall I'm disappointed she got the axe.

Last edited:

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm inclined to agree with the poster who quoted a post of mine suggesting NM didn't accept the terms of a revised contract which might have played a part in Fox's reason to part ways with her. I think that might be on the mark. Speaking of 'On The Mark', not sure that show will be much chop without Neroli.

Her axing can't be down to her ability. There are plenty of people Fox would have been wise to part with to cut costs instead of Neroli. Brett Finch (Fox League), Archie Thompson (Fox Football/Soccer), Cameron Mooney, Bob Murphy, Leigh Montagna, Ben Dixon, Dwayne Russell and Jon Ralph all come to mind. I'm sure there are more than just the group I mentioned.

The first of those 3 butcher the English language, the next three add little, Dwayne gets paid ( rather handsomely I assume) to be rubbish and somebody within Fox could do what Jon Ralph does. They could have parted with the 8 I mentioned and saved some money in the process.

I saw a story, admittedly from an unreliable source, claiming that she wasn't well liked hence she got the axe. It's not the first time I've seen that point made. From what I saw on TV, i perceived her to be a nice, pleasant, bubbly person who'd be fun to be around. Maybe what I (and maybe others) saw on TV wouldn't be a case of what you'd get if you worked with her.

Trying to save a sinking ship, otherwise known as hosting the footy show didn't sound like a great idea at the time and might been a nail or two in her coffin at Fox. They could easily have said no and not budged on that though so they must have been happy to let her host the show in the end.

Rightly or wrongly, sacking a female sports journalist was never going to go down well so sacking one of your better ones isn't a great idea unless it is simply unavoidable. Patrick Delaney defended Fox's record in giving female sports journalists a chance but much of the condemnation I saw come the way of Fox was down to a damn good journo getting the axe.

I'll remember her time at Fox first and foremost by the wonderful work she did covering the deaths of Phil Hughes, Drew Morhpett and Danny Frawley. She's damn good at her job and whoever she works for next will be pretty fortunate. Outside of one or two things, I'm a fan of Neroli hence why I may come across as biased but overall I'm disappointed she got the axe.

Can Neroli write, or edit or produce? I don’t know of her calling any sports. In an era when having several strings to your bow is a huge advantage and media companies are cutting costs, then you need to have adaptable or complementary skills.

Being a likeable and capable on-air talent isn’t necessarily everything. Those people are replaceable, so if they can’t be of value in other production areas, then they are always at risk of redundancy.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I remember her talking on Melbourne radio after getting the Footy Show gig & she mentioned her manager getting the call - reckon she has been poorly advised. Who is the manager?
Google have no answer, anyone know?

Neroli started in radio as a producer, 2006 on 6PR.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
A source has told the dailymail that she wasn't well liked and people were sick of her antics. I'd take that with a pinch of salt and wait to see if a more reputable outlet reveals anything similar.

Are you able to elaborate on what you’ve heard about why people didn’t like her?

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can Neroli write, or edit or produce? I don’t know of her calling any sports. In an era when having several strings to your bow is a huge advantage and media companies are cutting costs, then you need to have adaptable or complementary skills.

Being a likeable and capable on-air talent isn’t necessarily everything. Those people are replaceable, so if they can’t be of value in other production areas, then they are always at risk of redundancy.

She's been a producer in the past. She's written some articles on the Fox website as well.

Are you able to elaborate on what you’ve heard about why people didn’t like her?

The only bits I've seen come from the dailymail article that I take with a pinch of salt due to a blatant error in the article about 'On the Mark' getting axed after 7 episodes. It contained unnamed sources claiming nobody is upset with her departure, everybody saw it coming, people were sick of her antics last summer with Fox Cricket.

ACCORDING to instagram she was in croatia just before her departure

She booked that with 4 days notice too. I suspect she was told about it before she left

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

First time I really noticed her was on radio the day after the Chris Gayle blush thing, and she really had the claws out. Others in the discussion were more measured, but hers was quite a venomous personal attack. Given Gayle's successful litigation against The Age, she might've been a tad lucky to get away with some of what was said.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

One thing I have learned from the workplace is that the moment someone is sacked then all of a sudden everyone hates or disliked that person, and considering the egos at Fox Footy and it is not much of a secret to say there are a few massive egos then it is entirely possible there were personality classes but some of the egos are such that people might be confusing ego with something deeper.

I think it is just a normal run of a mill contractual breakdown after all Eddie is a major player at Fox Footy and at the Footy Show and he was happy to take her to the Footy Show and most of the big names at Fox had been on the Footy Show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people posting that don’t know the full story. Fair enough.

Let’s just say her onscreen/online persona is NOTHING like what happens behind the scenes.
Go on.....

Or PM me at least ;)

External Inputs

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2008
Purrth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts

Considering how low the bar seems to be set in sport commentary, I'm sure she could easily manage. The WBBL and W-League are crying out for some decent commentary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back