News Netball new dresses/logos discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Netball Australia today launched the new National Netball League for 2017 which will have:

CURRENT ANZ CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS:
Melbourne Vixens
Adelaide Thundebirds
West Coast Fever
NSW Swift- I assume they will change back to the Sydney Swift
Queensland Firebirds- I assume they will change to Brisbane Firebirds?, South East Queensland Firebirds?

NEW TEAMS:
Collingwood Magpies
Sunshine Coast Storm- Alligned with Melbourne Storm. To play at the Storms Sunshine Coast facilities.
GWS Giants

As much as it's annoying that Netball Australia are changing the format from the ANZ Champonship, and this probably won't last long. I like the idea of the footy teams having netball sides as well, as it has that grassroots feeling to the league.
Yeah it would be cool to have football/netball playing parallel leagues, like all country leagues. Probably would be a nightmare to organise though, just as most AFL supporters would not like their club to disappear and could not connect to another club/franchise, there would ANZ championship supporters that feel their same about their netball clubs (if that makes any sense at all)

Yeah it would be cool to have football/netball playing parallel leagues, like all country leagues. Probably would be a nightmare to organise though, just as most AFL supporters would not like their club to disappear and could not connect to another club/franchise, there would ANZ championship supporters that feel their same about their netball clubs (if that makes any sense at all)
I know that seeing Collingwood are coming into the Netball market, The Victorian Insitutue of Sport has told the Melbourne Vixens that they can not provide a High Performance Centre for the Vixens. More nightmares for the Vixens. My understanding is that there may be a match between the winners of the Australian National Netball League and the New Zealand Netball League.

Up until 2011, the Adelaide Thunderbirds were aligned with Port Adelaide, they had Port colours and had Port logos on their kit/dress.

This should be interesting. Attended a few Fever matches before, hopefully the AFL alignment brings a greater market for the game.

Australian teams have dominated in the ANZC for a while now, It'll be good to see a more even competition in the future.

Up until 2011, the Adelaide Thunderbirds were aligned with Port Adelaide, they had Port colours and had Port logos on their kit/dress.

The Swans still have a link with the Swifts

jude_bolton_kimberly_green_18u6kp2-18u6kq0.jpg

Supposedly the Eagles were (are?) aligned with the Fever as well, but I couldn't find any press shots and their connection seems to be in name only.

Eddie actually tried to piggyback on the Vixens when they first started out too.

0f86ea4d8e474554f843ca5e4a9151f7

For what it's worth, I see this going the way of the AFL-aligned NSL teams of the late 90s – kaputt.

Vixens definitely just got a lot more supporters.

Not really, if anything I'd say less. People who didn't follow the league prior to the announcement aren't just going to start supporting the Vixens and following the league because Collingwood now exists. But there'd be plenty of Vixens followers (myself included) who are Collingwood fans in the AFL who may defect, or at least follow both.

Supposedly the Eagles were (are?) aligned with the Fever as well, but I couldn't find any press shots and their connection seems to be in name only.
When the league began, yes. Not so much anymore. I'm guessing they'll follow the trend and re-align with the Eagles, as they both are "West Coast"

Well seeing as Collingwood will now have a team in the Netball that should rule them out of one of the initial AFL Women's League spots.
Or give them a greater chance of getting one.
Investing in womens sports can really only be seen by the AFL as being serious about getting and supporting a team over a long-period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pointless. Football/netball clubs only work when they share a monthly post-training/Friday night function and a chick called Sharni from the 18s macks three different blokes, and a girl with a name like Izzy caught with her knees on the sticks and twigs near a shady bit.

Nah but seriously, this is basically nothing but brand enlargement for AFL clubs and funding for netball. Aren't 'Melbourne' Storm going to be playing out of the Sunshine Coast? Will Collingwood even call themselves the 'Collingwood Magpies?' It'll probably be like the Swans/Taylor Swifts where sponsorship is pooled, resources coupled, things like that. Ultimately I would rather see Freo aligned with the Mermaids or something as a netball team. Chick footy does not appeal to me one iota...

It's an interesting idea to have netball teams affiliated with AFL clubs. With the participation numbers that Netball has, I think it has potential to grow both brands as long they put the effort into their marketing.
COLLINGWOOD:
The dress design isn't very interesting and doesn't do a great job of tying in with the Collingwood brand but I feel like that reflects an issue with netball uniform design in general. If Netball Australia really wanted to get serious about growing their sport, they should be looking at revamping the uniforms and branding of their teams.

It's an interesting idea to have netball teams affiliated with AFL clubs. With the participation numbers that Netball has, I think it has potential to grow both brands as long they put the effort into their marketing.

The dress design isn't very interesting and doesn't do a great job of tying in with the Collingwood brand but I feel like that reflects an issue with netball uniform design in general. If Netball Australia really wanted to get serious about growing their sport, they should be looking at revamping the uniforms and branding of their teams.

That's just a Fizzler concept isn't it?

Interesting that they ditched the old Commonwealth Bank trophy to go to the ANZ Championship (as well as half the teams, including the Sydney Sandpipers, Adelaide Ravens and the old Melbourne team) to go back to an all Australian league.

They should go back to wearing teal etc. Be more unique as different shades of red and pink are used in just about every other team in the Australian league/conference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back