Moved Thread Neutral fans: Hawkins or Riewoldt?

Neutral fans: Who’s the better player over the course of their 16 seasons

• Tom Hawkins

Votes: 235 69.7%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 102 30.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This poll’s options should be changed to ‘are you a biased Richmond or Geelong supporter?’

Not sure how many neutrals have voted lol

I'd love to see the record for most goals 20 minutes into the last when your team is 30 plus points up.

When the game is over Junktime lights up

Go nuts and find it bro, waste your time. Rent free lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Riewoldt. Just.

Hawkins has been remarkably consistent, and he's become like a fine wine, maturing in style.

But Riewoldt's best was probably better. How many people have won the Coleman easily, playing for a team who finished 15th?

He has an extra 40 odd goals too.

To me Jonathan Brown is severly overrated.
Because he played in the Lions 3-peat he gets rated a lot higher he should if you take a stats look at it both JR & Hawkins are notch above him.

He also was beaten up & cooked by 256 games, where as both Tomahawk & JR have played 300+ games & had longevity.

Last edited:
To me Jonathan Brown is severly overrated.
Because he played in the Lions 3-peat he gets rated a lot higher he should if you take a stats look at it both JR & Hawkins are notch above him.

He also was beaten up & cooked by 256 games, where as both Tomahawk & JR have played 300+ games & had longevity.

Brown took a bit of time to finally get going. He was always regarded as the main player the mighty Lions had to build their ageing team around. It really wasn't until the Lions began to decline did he take his game to a whole new level. Unfortunately, as you eluded to, this is also the same period of time he started copping horrific injuries. Right in the middle of his 'prime' years. He was so courageous, so manic in his approach to attacking the football, he ultimately ended his career much sooner than what it should have.

Statistically speaking, Brown averaged 14½ disposals, 7 marks (2 contested), 2.3 goals per game. He also averaged same amount of direct goal assists per game as Jack Riewoldt.
At his peak, he was in the discussion of greatest CHF since Wayne Carey and certainly sat alongside Nick Riewoldt during that era.

Jonathan Brown also had an aura about him something of which Reiwoldt and Hawkins simply do not have. Very similar to Dustin Martin and Lance Franklin.

Jack more versatile and probably the better overall player.
Tom probably the better full forward though in its traditional form.

Both great, hard to split.

Jack more versatile and probably the better overall player.
Tom probably the better full forward though in its traditional form.

Both great, hard to split.

Sure Hawkins is more of a FF in the traditional sense now but he used to play ruck and also play up the ground.

He's also 2nd all-time for goal assists. Not sure what makes Jack more versatile and better overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure Hawkins is more of a FF in the traditional sense now but he used to play ruck and also play up the ground.

He's also 2nd all-time for goal assists. Not sure what makes Jack more versatile and better overall.
Combined goals and goal assists have Riewoldt ahead, as he's pretty handy in that area himself (only 0.09 per game behind Hawkins).

I don't believe Hawkins has a single statistical advantage over Riewoldt (Edit: Of the stats that matter when assessing forwards). This is outstanding considering Riewoldt spent half his year in an absolute basket case, whereas Hawkins has had an amazing midfield since day dot.

If you're going to base the argument on stats and individual awards it's Jack Riewoldt by the length of the Flemington straight but on reflection something still pulls me towards Tom Hawkins, it could be recency bias, I'm not sure what it is.

Hawkins should go on.

I think Jack will definitely retire. Maybe if Lynch had been in the team the forward load could have been spread more, with Richmond (and Jack) having better seasons. That might have prompted another year for JR8. Also, a new coach might want to just get to work with longer term options.

Back