Neutrals of bigfooty - Which team would you like to win the flag?

Which team would you like to see win the flag this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

David Mundy.

Bit strange coming from a Carlton supporter… but it’s hard not to respect the style Collingwood have played all year.

Their players are tough and aggressive, give their all and run until the final siren.

The games are generally very entertaining with attacking high scores.

But it’s still Collingwood so they go from least favoured to 3rd least in front of Geelong and Melbourne.

What exactly is meant by "bloods club culture" though ?
To intangible a thing to nail down but the type of stuff awesome for documentaries to look at.
I see it as one of those things that has meaning and sense of connection to past people of the club.
For a football club I see it a little similar to how in an episode of Who Do You Think You Are? you can see a person look into past ancestry, learn something about people of their past family history and truly feel an emotional connection to someone they never meet in person. Only the people involved know what exactly a connection to past means to them.
Football clubs if they are smart can do a similar thing for their players to feel some intangible emotional connection to past history of club and they can feel like custodians for the present.
You are right to question what it is because I am sure for some players it means nothing or skips some generations of players, but if there is enough players it does mean something to, in a group at a club, it becomes a real sense of ownership. If you hear enough players talk about it with genuine passion you will know it a lot more than just some gimmick.

Last edited:
How is the (limited) love coming for Pies?

Why is that?

I thought our last bastion was to be the most hated club, seeing how we rarely achieve success, I don't understand the hate, but whatever.

If we don't win this year or the next, have we really become irrelevant?

Last edited:

Why is that?

I thought our last bastion was to be the most hated club, seeing how we rarely achieve success, I don't understand the hate, but whatever.

Was thinking the same thing.

I think there's no doubt that since Eddie left, Collingwood's 'relevance' has reduced significantly.

The hate aspect has definitely subsided. Them winning, or them losing now seems a bit 'meh' to many people.

I think that Eddie related schadenfreude played a huge role in Collingwood's relevance.

Why is that?

It's definitely a season specific thing. Pies were 17th last year and were the butt of plenty of jokes after the 2020 off season. Gave away a Rising Star winner, paying Treloar to play elsewhere, traded away a future first round pick then finished 2nd last, Cox reportedly on $500k a year, Grundy on a big contract and not even playing etc. and somehow that turned into a gripping 11 game winning streak. Then a last minute top 4 spot. And almost a prelim berth. It's an exciting narrative to follow.

If Freo knock off the Pies this week I expect their hype train to build as the other team in the top 6 that made a big jump this year. Melbourne won it last year, Brisbane have been finalists for 3 years and Geelong and Sydney are always in the finals so they aren't all that interesting even though they are good sides.

If Collingwood back up 2022 into next year in beyond the hate will return.

1.Sydney, so we can hurry up and get rid of the academies.
2. Melbourne so their fans can actually attend a premiership without going to jail.
3. Collingwood so we can have a 3 way race to 17 flags.
4. Brisbane, like a lot of their players and still burn a candle for Joey.
5. Fremantle flags for Mundy and Fyfe would be a joy.
6. Geelong, don't particularly want Cameron or Dangerfield to win flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Neutrals on Bigfooty”

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Cases for:

1) Geelong. I would love to see Isaac Smith nab another flag. Tyson Stengle becoming a premiership player would be a great tale of redemption. They've been the best side all year, showing that experience matters. Would be amusing given all the rubbish they've copped for being too old.

2) Sydney. I love the way they play and Buddy getting another flag would cement his place amongst the all time greats. Tom Papley is as mad as a cut snake - I like it.

3) Melbourne. The vast majority of their supporters missed out on seeing their team win the flag live - those long term fans deserve that experience.

4) Brisbane. Put Richmond out of the finals and play an exciting brand of footy. Charlie Cameron is great to watch.

5) Fremantle. Obviously great to break the duck. First time time is the best time (DMZ, 1976). Love their do or die attitude.

6) Collingwood. So exciting to watch, great entertainers and would give hope to any side struggling at the moment.

Cases against:

1) Geelong. They're vanilla and boring and I'm sick of seeing them being successful. Tom Hawkins has eyes that are way too close together and seeing that Chris Scott face would be priceless. I lived down there for four years when they were losers (as in losing grand finals) - good times.

2) Sydney. Grizzle about not being able to keep players. Yeah, they've only been able to recruit the greatest goal kicker of all time, greatest Indigenous goal kicker of all time and a member of football royalty from the most successful club over the past 50 years. Watching all of those Roy Morgan respondents suddenly take an interest in AFL would deadset make me spew to boot.

3) Melbourne. I voted no in 1996. Remember Demons members, it's because of people like me, that there's people like you (thanks Freebird Michael Hayes). All of those private school boys can get stuffed.

4) Brisbane. Remember Simon the Likeable on Get Smart? Well Dayne Zorko is his polar opposite. The only good thing to come out of Brisbane is I'm Stranded by the Saints and that was nearly 50 years ago. Added ick factor, of Brunswick St suddenly becoming all retro Fitzroy when they didn't give a stuff about the club when it mattered.

5) Fremantle. So I went to Perth for the first time in 1986 and my grandparents (who had just moved over) decided we had to go look at boats at Fremantle Dock because of the Americas Cup. I could have seen sights on the beaches that a 13 year old boy would have been hankering for (know what I mean), but no, we had to go look at goddam boats. On that same trip, I was also hassled by some evangelical nut who terrified me and bailed me up for ages - I just wanted to go play Exciting Hour Wrestling at the local pinnie parlour. So screw you, Fremantle (to be fair, my second trip was awesome but there you go).

6) Collingwood. Do I really have to answer? Half the population of Melbourne (the half that resides to the left of the curve in a plot of IQ) crowing endlessly about Daicos this and Pendles that. The bourbon fumes arising from the celebrations will probably add to the hole in the ozone layer.

Why is that?

I never really hated Collingwood much, just Eddie. I must admit I still feel some residual hate, even right now, but I imagine that will subside as his foul stench gradually dissipates from the club.

What about Rory Lobb at Freo?
Don’t have anything against Rory. Jezza came over in the first batch of 17yo’s and was an out and out star from day one. He shunned offers and signed long contracts and gave wonderful service for many years.

In the end family played a huge role in him leaving, we offered the same terms but he just really wanted a different lifestyle and probably also yearned for the crowds and atmosphere we could never provide.

No hard feelings with him, just despair that we are now hopeless.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 wowee what an ego from somebody who’s own club isn’t nearly as successful as the big clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Those big clubs have supporters due the amount of flags they won pre-80's.

In Richmond's case post 2017.

So I would love for Brissy to win but excluding them I would like
FREO - Great up and coming team and would be nice to get their first
Then
Swans - a non Vic team
Then
MELB - They don't annoy me as half much as pies and cats - even if they have flogged my boys twice this year.

Now this is where it gets tough. Honestly can't pick between them. Only club I dislike more than cats and pies is Essendon.

Back