NEUTRALS who is a better player?

Who is a better player? (whole Career)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like cause Jack has declined people will rate him the lowest due to what they see recently.

1. KENNEDY
2. HAWKINS
3 RIEWOLDT

In that order by who has played the best against us. We would have won the 2018 flag if Kennedy had missed that game. He never seemed to miss when his side really needed a goal in that game and in all games against us.

All 3 great players though and you could have them in any order
Not as great though as the greatest player ever in Tony Lockett. Nobody but nobody had Lockett's measure.

1. Kennedy
2. Riewoldt
3. Hawkins

Just on talent I'd have Hawkins above Riewoldt, but I put Riewoldt at 2 because he squeezed every little drip of talent out, he should be very proud of his AFL career.

I'd also add that Hawkins best is better than Riewoldt's best, the question asked is pretty vague.

Geelong fans love this myth that Hawkins was second ruck before he became a permanent forward.

2007 - Ottens and Blake +/-800 hit outs, Hawkins 0

2008 - Ottens and Blake +/-850 hit outs, Hawkins 3

2009 - Blake and Mumford +/-740 hit outs, Ottens +/-90, Hawkins 30

2010 - Blake and Ottens +/-670 hit outs, Hawkins 96, West 49

2011 - Ottens 500, West 183, Vardy 104, Hawkins 75.

Regardless, he’s been a great player. There is just no need to sugar-coat his poor early goal-kicking returns.

Starting a half a dozen games prior to the 2011 finals series was when Hawkins finally became a fulltime stay at home key forward.

Look at his goal tallies per season prior to 2012, that's a better indicator.

Prior to that he was a bit part player, including 2nd ruck, pretty much prior to round 17, 2011 any game where he had 3 or more hitouts, he was 2nd ruck.

In 2011 prior to him being playing as a permanent forward he kicked 5 goals in his first 9 games of the season, he then changed to permanent forward where he kicked 22 in his last 9 games that year for a seasons tally of 27 goals from 18 games.

In 2012 he kicked 62 from 22 (and was probably still used as a 2nd ruck in 1 or 2 games).

In his first 70 games he would have legitimately been our 2nd ruck in 21 games.

How many games did Jack do similar?

In Jack's first 2 seasons he kicked 25 from 26 games.

In Tom's first 2 seasons he kicked 25 from 18 games.

It seems Jack is the one with the poor early goal returns.

Starting a half a dozen games prior to the 2011 finals series was when Hawkins finally became a fulltime stay at home key forward.

Look at his goal tallies per season prior to 2012, that's a better indicator.

Prior to that he was a bit part player, including 2nd ruck, pretty much prior to round 17, 2011 any game where he had 3 or more hitouts, he was 2nd ruck.

In 2011 prior to him being playing as a permanent forward he kicked 5 goals in his first 9 games of the season, he then changed to permanent forward where he kicked 22 in his last 9 games that year for a seasons tally of 27 goals from 18 games.

In 2012 he kicked 62 from 22 (and was probably still used as a 2nd ruck in 1 or 2 games).

In his first 70 games he would have legitimately been our 2nd ruck in 21 games.

How many games did Jack do similar?

In Jack's first 2 seasons he kicked 25 from 26 games.

In Tom's first 2 seasons he kicked 25 from 18 games.

It seems Jack is the one with the poor early goal returns.
Excellent walkback. Tom has gone from "second ruck in his first five seasons" to "second ruck in 21 of his first 70 games", which is 30%. Given first ruck probably played +/-75% game time that leaves Tom rucking for a cumulative six games. Such a drag on his figures.

Jack's early returns were "poor", but he was a young struggling player, just like Tom, be it behind a guy who kicked 800 career goals and in a losing side.

The reality is that both Hawkins and Riewoldt have been great players and great clubmen. Both started slow, Jack broke out earlier and had a few better seasons than Tom, they level pegged for a while and now Tom is having a better career twilight.

Last edited:
FMD. More revisionist history. In 2013 Hawkins wasn’t in a wheelchair. He played 22 of 25 games, topped Geelong’s goalkicking and had, as described on Geelong’s own website, a niggling back injury ( Hawkins opens up on back ), that did get harder to manage later in the season ( Geelong's Tom Hawkins could play this week but his future is unclear thanks to a back injury ).

Did you actually watch him? It was visible. And not just ‘oh it looks like he might be carrying something’ visible. It was pretty obvious to anyone that’s ever had a bad back how much it was restricting him.
He still had his power and good hands so having him play injured was far better than any alternative but he was very clearly restricted

Did you actually watch him? It was visible. And not just ‘oh it looks like he might be carrying something’ visible. It was pretty obvious to anyone that’s ever had a bad back how much it was restricting him.
He still had his power and good hands so having him play injured was far better than any alternative but he was very clearly restricted
It flared at times and he was restricted at times. He took to the field in 22 games and averaged 90% game time. Yes, he looked crap at times, like when he couldn't bend quick enough for a ground ball or burst on the lead, but could still run, jump and kick. Between Hawkins being a ruckman and a cripple people might think he only played one season as a forward in his first seven. They'll be suggesting he should have kicked a 1000 goals.

It flared at times and he was restricted at times. He took to the field in 22 games and averaged 90% game time. Yes, he looked crap at times, like when he couldn't bend quick enough for a ground ball or burst on the lead, but could still run, jump and kick. Between Hawkins being a ruckman and a cripple people might think he only played one season as a forward in his first seven. They'll be suggesting he should have kicked a 1000 goals.

With the amount of games he’s played I actually think it’s possible if one circumstance eventuates. Not because he spent some huge amount of time rucking or walking on a Zimmer frame with a bad back.

But I think had those first five years been spent with a diabolical team where they just make him the focal point - like North are doing with Larkey - maybe he kicks 1000.

You could mount a similar argument for the last four years of jack’s career too if they had never bought lynch in. He’d probably have kicked a heap more goals if the tigers in an alternate universe had had 1-2 more cracks at a flag after 17-18, not bought in Lynch, failed, and just kept Riewoldt in there as a number 1 target while they develop a bunch of skinny kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1769660

Season goals as bars, cumulative goals as a line. I'm sure you can work out who is who.
I like it. As the years have gone on though (2018 onwards in particular), Hawkins has become somewhat of a goal assist aficionado which has made a greater discrepancy over the past 6 seasons. Best to combine them (forgive my very crude effort):

YearHawkinsRiewoldt
2007​
12​
2008​
19​
2009​
40​
2010​
30​
2011​
41​
2012​
81​
2013​
65​
2014​
79​
2015​
62​
2016​
66​
2017​
65​
2018​
84​
2019​
36​
2020​
43​
2021​
68​
2022​
52​
2023​
36​
Median
66​
Years on top
7​

1691632463828.png

Or, from start of their careers in graphical form, combined goals/assists each season (Riewoldt yellow, Hawkins blue obviously).

It's really just the last few years that he's pulled ahead.

Wow. Having read the reasoning for this thread being made all I have to say is, why do a good proportion of Richmond supporters seem to spend every waking moment stressing over whether Richmond players are respected enough by other teams supporters? You see it here, you hear it on talkback radio, I have never seen anything like it.

Like honestly who gives a flying * what others think of them, these blokes have won you 3 flags. Isn’t that the reason you watch footy?

I like it. As the years have gone on though (2018 onwards in particular), Hawkins has become somewhat of a goal assist aficionado which has made a greater discrepancy over the past 6 seasons. Best to combine them (forgive my very crude effort):

YearHawkinsRiewoldt
2007​
12​
2008​
19​
2009​
40​
2010​
30​
2011​
41​
2012​
81​
2013​
65​
2014​
79​
2015​
62​
2016​
66​
2017​
65​
2018​
84​
2019​
36​
2020​
43​
2021​
68​
2022​
52​
2023​
36​
Median
66​
Years on top
7​
One big factor in Jack's output from 2019 onwards is that he has had to play second fiddle to Tom Lynch.

Wow. Having read the reasoning for this thread being made all I have to say is, why do a good proportion of Richmond supporters seem to spend every waking moment stressing over whether Richmond players are respected enough by other teams supporters? You see it here, you hear it on talkback radio, I have never seen anything like it.

Like honestly who gives a flying * what others think of them, these blokes have won you 3 flags. Isn’t that the reason you watch footy?
Not just that, three flags which kick off 35 years after their last grand final appearance. Wouldn't you just be satisfied?

FMD. More revisionist history. In 2013 Hawkins wasn’t in a wheelchair. He played 22 of 25 games, topped Geelong’s goalkicking and had, as described on Geelong’s own website, a niggling back injury ( Hawkins opens up on back ), that did get harder to manage later in the season ( Geelong's Tom Hawkins could play this week but his future is unclear thanks to a back injury ).

I didn't revise anything. I said he's back was hampered by injury in 2013 and you've confirmed it.

I didn't revise anything. I said he's back was hampered by injury in 2013 and you've confirmed it.
No. You said he couldn't leap in 2013 and he couldn't bend over and pick up the ball in 2013. Now you've walked it back to "hampered" (which it was) by a back injury (described as niggling on the GFC website) after being called out.

No. You said he couldn't leap in 2013 and he couldn't bend over and pick up the ball in 2013. Now you've walked it back to "hampered" (which it was) by a back injury (described as niggling on the GFC website) after being called out.

Yeah what do you think the definition of Hampered is?

"hinder or impede the movement or progress of."

Which is exactly what I said.

Back