NEUTRALS who is a better triple premiership captain?

Who is a better triple premiership captain (whole career)?

• T Cotchin

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • L Hodge

Votes: 44 22.4%
  • M Voss

Votes: 137 69.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple premiership captain was he?

Doesn't matter if he wasn't?

Selwood had a significantly better/more decorated playing career than Cotchin and everyone knows it

Anyhow in most premiership teams throughout history, the captain was often not the best player on the team that year (Michael Tuck never won a B and F at Hawthorn, for example)

Selwood had a significantly better/more decorated playing career than Cotchin and everyone knows it

Anyhow in most premiership teams throughout history, the captain was often not the best player on the team that year (Michael Tuck never won a B and F at Hawthorn, for example)
It's literally the thread title...

If you are talking a better player you’d have Voss and hodge 1 and 2 no doubt.
Better captain?
Cotch changed a basket case of a club into a dynasty club by showing vulnerability and getting total buy in from the whole club.
Cotch for me was the better captain and leader.

Selwood was a better player than Cotchin, no doubt. He took over captaincy of a perennial finalist and highly successful team, and eventually captained them to a flag. He was an excellent captain.

Hodge took over captaincy of a team who won a flag just a few years prior, so was very well equipped for success.

Voss captained a team everyone says now had the best players of all dynasty teams. But an excellent player and captain.

Cotchin took over captaincy of a team who hadn’t made finals in 12-years and had won 2 finals in 31-years when he took over. End of 2016 he was the catalyst in changing the culture of the club, with the change in behaviours and mindset pivotal
In the dynasty that followed. The vulnerability, honesty and acceptance of people’s shortcomings is now common across all teams.

So as players it’s:

Voss
Selwood
Hodge
Cotchin

As captain’s it’s:

Cotchin
Voss
Hodge
Selwood

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Selwood was a better player than Cotchin, no doubt. He took over captaincy of a perennial finalist and highly successful team, and eventually captained them to a flag. He was an excellent captain.

Hodge took over captaincy of a team who won a flag just a few years prior, so was very well equipped for success.

Voss captained a team everyone says now had the best players of all dynasty teams. But an excellent player and captain.

Cotchin took over captaincy of a team who hadn’t made finals in 12-years and had won 2 finals in 31-years when he took over. End of 2016 he was the catalyst in changing the culture of the club, with the change in behaviours and mindset pivotal
In the dynasty that followed. The vulnerability, honesty and acceptance of people’s shortcomings is now common across all teams.

So as players it’s:

Voss
Selwood
Hodge
Cotchin

As captain’s it’s:

Cotchin
Voss
Hodge
Selwood

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can totally understand and respect your perspective of having Cotchin number 1 ad the best captain/leader out of that quarter, but to play devil's advocate, The Brisbane Bears/Lions had generally struggled since their interception in 1987, and had limited success finals wise, up until their historic three peat from 2001 - 03.

Granted though, that legendary Lions premiership team had some awesome champions on it, but it does seem very unlikely we will ever see another non Victorian Club win 3 flags in a row again (least until the archaic MCG GF hosting rights is changed) and they were unlucky in 04 for being forced to play an home Prelim Final at the G.

I love and reverse Sticks Kernahan always but in my lifetime of following footy (since 1986) Michael Voss is simply the greatest, most inspirational leader of men/captain, I have seen at VFL/AFL level.

I think you can make an legitimate argument of Cotch being a better captain than Hodge or Selwood, but I just can't go past Vossy, and his legendary leadership in big games and finals (and no, him being Carlton coach doesn't come all into my line of thinking at all)

Hodge because Hawthorn went the old classic priority pick route and didn’t have financial assistance to keep their list together.
Voss
Cotchin
Hawthorn traded for Pick 1(Hodge).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuck was runner up 6-7 times, often with a bloke called Leigh Matthews (player of the century)in front of him.

I voted Voss but all 3 are great premiership captains. All led by example.

Those posters on here belittling Cotchin clearly did not watch him play. He threw himself into each contest without regard for his welfare as did Voss and Hodge. All 3 were great leaders.
Im not sure its fair to belittle him but its a rough poll for him. Putting him against two all time great level player and leaders is rough. Cotchin was a good to great player and leader. The other two are just next level

If you are talking a better player you’d have Voss and hodge 1 and 2 no doubt.
Better captain?
Cotch changed a basket case of a club into a dynasty club by showing vulnerability and getting total buy in from the whole club.
Cotch for me was the better captain and leader.
You don’t remember Brisbane before 01?
They won the spoon in 98
They were the bad news bears when he arrived.
In his first 4 years at the club he was the only man to make AA.

If the question was simply who is the better player then it would be 1. Voss 2. Hodge 3. Cotchin.

But since it's who is the better captain, voting for Voss ahead of Cotchin must mean that you don't believe that star studded Brisbane team do anything without Voss leading them by example, and that's ridiculous.

It's so obvious that Cotchin captaining not the most talented team made way more of an impact with his leading by example than the other two.

If the question was simply who is the better player then it would be 1. Voss 2. Hodge 3. Cotchin.

But since it's who is the better captain, voting for Voss ahead of Cotchin must mean that you don't believe that star studded Brisbane team do anything without Voss leading them by example, and that's ridiculous.

It's so obvious that Cotchin captaining not the most talented team made way more of an impact with his leading by example than the other two.
But apparently I’m told by tiger faithful that Cotchin had the goat (dusty who is the reason tiges won 3 flags) Rance the best defender of the AFL era and 3x Coleman medalist Jack (lions never had a Coleman medalist)
Lions were a team of champions because Voss and Leigh inspired them to become champions

You don’t remember Brisbane before 01?
They won the spoon in 98
They were the bad news bears when he arrived.
In his first 4 years at the club he was the only man to make AA.
Not to mention that in his Brownlow year he carried them to a prelim (6 goal loss to eventual premiers NM).

The following year at the conclusion of round 16, Brisbane were 3rd. Voss gets injured early in round 17 - Brisbane get 1 win, 1 draw and 4 losses during the 6 games from there and finish 8th.

1998 was a struggle for both Brisbane and Voss culminating in his broken leg (11 games); wooden spoon for Brisbane.

His next uninterrupted season the following year (1999) they finished 3rd and continued their climb.

There was a very, very strong correlation between Voss and their climb to success - both as a leader and player. Two league MVPs, two B&Fs and a 3rd, 3rd and 7th place in the Brownlow over the three premiership years confirmed that.

But apparently I’m told by tiger faithful that Cotchin had the goat (dusty who is the reason tiges won 3 flags) Rance the best defender of the AFL era and 3x Coleman medalist Jack (lions never had a Coleman medalist)
Lions were a team of champions because Voss and Leigh inspired them to become champions
We don't all think alike.

I don't believe that Martin is the greatest player of all time, but we don't win 3 flags without him.

Do Brisbane win 3 flags without Akermanis? Maybe they do because they were such a star studded team.

Do you think Rance was the best defender in the AFL era?

If the question is on whole career, it's clearly Voss and by a fair distance. Qualities as captain are probably comparable though.

Voss was no better as a footballer than Hodge.

And they were pretty much equals as far as captains go.

Both were a long way ahead of Cotchin who was a good player and a good captain.

Last edited:
Back