Universal Love Never forget, our future is blindingly bright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
al_260712.jpg

Because we have this man.

Stars come and go, so do gameplans & trends, but Legendary Coaches are once-in-multiple-generation diamonds. You can't buy them with salary caps or recruit them with number one draft picks.

Every other club would move heaven & earth to poach this man but he's ours. We have the best brain in football history guiding us towards our next glorious era, if that doesn't give you cause for optimism I don't know what would.

I like it.

It's worth remembering that we didn't just fall into 3 Grand Finals in a row, and we do have some kids at Box Hill, just bursting to have more opportunities.

Still, I kinda feel like Scully walking into Fox's den when I read that we're to be envied right now.

main-qimg-2d78202044f4b8805d8a4cce8459a34b-p

He's been the worst coach in the comp so far this season, hopefully he starts to tweak the game plan a little to mask our flaws a bit better. He's been an absolute ripper for us but right now he has his greatest challenge in front of him.

He's been the worst coach in the comp so far this season, hopefully he starts to tweak the game plan a little to mask our flaws a bit better. He's been an absolute ripper for us but right now he has his greatest challenge in front of him.
i'm not sure we have the right setup in the footy department but unfortunately we've been bled dry of talent by the AFL and other clubs over the last four years
eventually it has to take its toll and I think we are seeing the result of losing staff as well as players

Damian Carroll getting an upgrade was a bad choice I feel.
It's not surprising to me that he may have brought his BoxHill brain fades with him.
Ratts would have been a better appointment & a better voice to get Clarko's point across.
All speculative conjecture on my part but this is BF

As a supporter of another club I second this Clarksons the best coach I have seen, he might not change things this year but he has a plan that will see yous turn over your list quiet quickly..and be back up there it 2-3 years Fyfe will be a hawk next year.

Dennis Pagan was the top coach in the league for a few years there.
He needs to change and improve of he will go the same way.
except the 2 extra flags in in three less seasons

If someone said to me at the end of 2011.... Play in the next 4 Grand Finals, win a hat trick and then finish bottom 4.. I would take that!

Just like our golden team of the 80's... It all comes to an end, our 2015 was equivalent to 1991... Some lean years will follow... With Clarko in control I'm sure we won't have to wait another 17 years for the next flag ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm not sure we have the right setup in the footy department but unfortunately we've been bled dry of talent by the AFL and other clubs over the last four years
eventually it has to take its toll...

Back when Malthouse rebuilt the Pies over 2007-09, culminating in a young premiership team many thought was going to dominate for years to come, how important were Alan Richardson, Guy McKenna & Brad Scott as his assistant/ development coaches?

Buggered if i know.

Clarko's a fantastic coach & an amazing person, but from the outside it's a guessing game working out the importance of each of the various assistant coaches he's had.
(Ok we can make some educated guess eg Luke B was probably pretty useful. But there are lots of unknowns.)

I'd love to know which footy department members over 2005-2017 have been guns at analysing & designing game-plans. Have we lost our best talent in this area, or has clarko always worked out the important game-work stuff on his own?

I share Gralin's suspicion about our footy department.

Given our president is an accountant & our next CEO is likely to be a finance/project management guy (bc of Dingly)... I'd like to see Dunstall come back in some capacity.
He doesn't gave to return to the board - eg he could do a footy department review; and oversee changes if needed.

Last edited:
As a supporter of another club I second this Clarksons the best coach I have seen, he might not change things this year but he has a plan that will see yous turn over your list quiet quickly..and be back up there it 2-3 years Fyfe will be a hawk next year.
Fyfe aint coming to Hawthorn

DP won two in his first seven seasons. Was doing something right. But was quickly a laughing stock.
You're pretty happy to dig the boot in on Clarko though
4 flags isn't 2 flags, a lot less coaches have win 4
The man is also 4/5 which is a fantastic strike rate.
I remember in 2009-2011 the calls for blood were strong, I thought Clarko was done halfway through 2010, look how wrong I was.

Have a little faith in the club and Clarko

Leigh Matthews turned to s**t after his big run.

I think they tend to burn out after a while, tough job.

Didn't we lose our opposition analyst last season, quite highly regard - John Wardrop? Could explain why we don't react to how other teams play at all...

Yup, went to the Weagles after 2015.

Leigh Matthews turned to s**t after his big run.

I think they tend to burn out after a while, tough job.

Difference is Clarko oversaw the complete construction of his threepeat list. The job for Matthews was 75% done by the time he got there.

Doesn't change the fact that they burn out.

Matthews won one at Collingwood too.

Again, with a list already mostly made for him. Matthews was a great man manager but I don't think he had great list management skills or teams that helped here. Clarko has already shown the ability to rebuild at our club, more than once, and has changed gameplans also when he knew we were gone with the old one. I'm backing him in to get the job done again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back