Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate you're missing the point.
I'm not missing anything, list management saw the need for a quality KPD to replace Daniel Talia who is coming to the end and everything McAsey had done in his draft year pointed to him being just that...a quality KPD prospect.

Can we try and fit either him or Worrell into the side as a third tall?

Worked well for guys like Keath, Lever and Doedee.

Dude can play Kelly's role (and peel off as the intercept man when needed).

I'm not missing anything, list management saw the need for a quality KPD to replace Daniel Talia who is coming to the end and everything McAsey had done in his draft year pointed to him being just that...a quality KPD prospect.
In a way it is a real shame we had pick 4 in 2019 and not 2018..we coukd have had one of ben or max king, connor rozee or bailey smith with that pick:huh:

Yeah thats fair enough, but that doesn't really end the discussion of should we be spending high picks on key backs, especially when theres 2 rookies about to play ahead of a fully fit, high pick.

Yeah thats fair enough, but that doesn't really end the discussion of should we be spending high picks on key backs, especially when theres 2 rookies about to play ahead of a fully fit, high pick.

You spend high picks on good AFL propspects....period.

You seem to forget McAsey prior to his draft year had also shown high end talent playing as a KPF, particularly for Vic Metro at the U16 Nationals.

The emergence of Butts and Murray?

Butts is 3 games into an AFL career and Murray is yet to debut?

Hmmm...

Murray wasn't even on our list when we drafted Fischer and Jordan's breakout game against Hawkins is only days old.

So at the time we drafted Fischer an aging Talia and Hartigan were it for our KPD stock unless you were certain Butts could measure up as an AFL quality KPD.

Ok things got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand and misinterpreted. I get that there are big opinions and passions about players etc. I am not slagging Fischer here, I mentioned I don't know how we will develop. Hell, hope it does and makes 200+games and 17 premierships for us.

Firstly, I appreciate of course I'm talking with 20/20 hindsight but was talking of the emergence of Butts and Murray, and how they came to our list, not what year.

They came via a Rookie pick and an SPP. I was mentioning that good key backs seem to be easier to find. Didn't say that we didn't need a KPD in that draft/trade or our stocks were fine. Neither did I say that Fischer is or isn't any good. If anything, yes we needed help for Talia and Hartigan, we would have been better suited going for a readymade player and not a kid that needed development

KPP take time, the lad has played 10 games and only been on the list 2 years, at least give him a chance.

The board is doing the classic bigfooty thing, some rumours swell about a player leaving and they trash them to make it seem like they're easily replaced but then complain that we aren't compensated fairly

Wonder what the reactions will be if he plays a few good games later this year and then signs on to stay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And also my point is given where we realistically are, why aren't we putting games into him? Is he not even good enough to get into the youngest side in the league?

At least it's not Mackay keeping him out. Imagine being Jones right now and not going well enough for a shuffle that sees you in the side ahead of a futureless career plodder that 32 years old in a rebuild off a spoon season.

And you've worked all that out from 2,000km away, do you and others have Allan Pease like body language skills?

Do we know for certain that's not just Fischer's day to day mannerisms and how he carries himself?

He may very well be unhappy with his lot at the Adelaide Crows but none of us know that or where his contract discussions are currently and I daresay none of the media that are running with these "rumours" know definitively either.

I remember similar rumours do the rounds of Big Footy that Josh Worrell was ready to scarper too...that went well.

And by the way he looked pretty pleased with the result when the cameras panned onto the players box following the Crows win on the weekend.

All opinions on footballing ability and where we took him in the draft aside, it's clear that he's just a massive introvert.

And that's fine.

Discussions have opened for Greater Western Sydney's Lachie Ash (pick four) and Sydney's Dylan Stephens (pick five) although not progressed far, while Adelaide's Fischer McAsey (pick six) has been weighing a contract extension for some months but has not recommitted.

Back