Never mind the ideology, a private school could use govt funding to cut fees by over $4k pa

One reason was that parens might be spared massive price increases without it. Obviously a massive con

Private schools by their very nature charge whatever they see fit, and if you don't want to pay it you go to a cheaper school. Capitalism 101 I would've though.

But nooooo, parents want their cake and eat it too.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Easiest solution is making it equivalent to a tied grant: any federal funding must be spent in that financial year, or it goes back into a pool and is redistributed. Govt Schools aren't permitted to do it with state funding, so I don't see why this should be any different.

I don't have an issue with private schools getting funding, but they shouldn't be able to build up huge war chests at the taxpayers expense.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I don't understand the rationale for private schools.

Its easy, you are worried about your kids future so you spend approx $100k to provide something which has a very interpretive link to how successful your kids life is. The schools spend their fat surpluses fanning the insecurity.

You don't stop to think how you could target the $100k much more effectively. Its quite bizarre. Then theres the people who have so much money its not an issue.

My last payment for my eldest is in 5 days time, the younger is quite happy in her state school

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I never understood the rationale behind private schools getting government funding.

It helps the Liberal Party's agenda of delegitimising public education. Like public healthcare, it's not something they can openly say they despise. So they chip away at it and gift funding to private competitors under the guise of 'choice'.

Private schools are usually under Catholic or other Christian authority too so they love that s**t.

Last edited:

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Those parents are trying to give their kids an unfair advantage that goes against the very concept that a capitalist society is reliant upon, the concept of equal opportunity. I feel no pity.
I would have thought that this is the very essence of capitalism.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
If it was market forces, the schools might try have a competitive edge over the others, either value add or cutting fees.

Its not its a cartel supported by their lobby group in canberra, the liberal party.

its not capitalism

If it was market forces, the schools might try have a competitive edge over the others, either value add or cutting fees.

Its not its a cartel supported by their lobby group in canberra, the liberal party.

its not capitalism

Or con people into thinking it is a need. That's the best marketing strategy out there.

Then you make up your own value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
They have a massive competitive advantage which is why people pay money to send their kids there.
They have a massive competitive advantage which is why people pay money to send their kids there.

Too much money apparently. We have been lied to about subsidies etc

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I never understood the rationale behind private schools getting government funding.

I see it a bit like healthcare with a public and private system.

I don't think if Armadale SHS gets $1000 per student for example then Scotch should get $10,000, but I appreciate that private schools take a lot of the burden off the public system. There are about 100 private high schools (inc. K-12) in WA. If you took govt funding out of the equation I don't know how that would look. It's a balance, and I don't work in education so don't know if we have it right. FWIW I went public.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
oh the humour of someone who thinks the private education system is subsidied

"too much money". FFS what next shoot the kulaks?

You forget to sledge Kennett.

No the accepted logic is the government contribution whatever you want to call it makes it more affordable for parents. But in many cases the money has been put in the safe. Personally we negotiated a reduction of about $4k by some coincidence, a practice which is quite widespread

I just think the private system needs a revolution in honesty, not that the system is neccesarily bad

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No the accepted logic is the government contribution whatever you want to call it makes it more affordable for parents. But in many cases the money has been put in the safe.

Many private schools put money away for future building work. I guess you could argue that why should current students/parents pay for the facilities of future students but you could make the same argument re taxation in general.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
This has roots in the Howard government. Put huge subsidies into private education and health without even the slightest requirement to reform or be accountable.

Other investments, govt or otherwise did not have this charachteristic, with the exception of bail outs in the gfc, which was Rudd here and Obama in the US

Back