Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah - Geelong has a station nearby and major arterial road next to it as well as being next to wide commercial roads to its east. Bellerive is in the middle of the burbs across a bridge that acts as a bottleneck and relies on buses.

FWIW though, a stadium of 20-25,000 should be more than enough. -Geelong and Hobart are of a similar size, but Geelong has Melbourne next to it, so a much, much larger population base to draw from.
I wouldn't say it's a major arterial road nor would I say there are wide commercial roads to the east of the stadium either. Though, your point is valid it's far less congested than Bellerive.

I guess I find it weird that Bellerive is even considered problematic when you have stadiums in the UK nested in the middle of suburbia in small cities (i.e. Anfield, Liverpool) and in small towns (i.e. Selhurst Park, Selhurst)

Having attended the footy at GMHBA a number of times and attended many PL matches I can tell you that they aren't all that different in terms of accessibility. I really do think Bellerive has potential to be more accessible if anything given that they can run ferries from Hobart. If the ferry to MONA takes 25 minutes from Hobart I can only imagine that a ferry from Hobart to Blundstone would be significantly shorter. They could also build a multiplex carpark in a small section of one of the nearby reserves. Both South Street Reserve and Kangaroo Bluff Reserve are sizable and within a 10 minute walk.

I don't know, I'm excited at the prospect of Blundstone being an A-Class facility and think that there are creative solutions to the logistics problem.

Just Using Metricon as an example, complete rebuild, 22,500 capacity, cost $141 mill back in 2011. Assume a 50% increase in costs since then and you should be able to get a decent stadium for $200mill
More so 50% increase in last year. It’d be 100%+ more than what it was to build in 2011 now. Prices for materials have gone crazy, and labour has gone up since then. Your point still stands, could still get a decent stadium for 350-400mill.

Better off just using the infrastructure Hobart already has, it’s easier for me to catch a plane to Vic to watch a game than drive 3 and a half hours to Hobart to watch a team that would be my second team. Love footy at Launie, that ground is seriously underrated. A Tassie team would have to use that for 3 or 4 home games a year for it to work.

As much as I advocate for a Tas AFL team, fact is were stuck with Boot park.

It can be expanded to 25k-30k. Access will remain a problem. Boot park is basically a good stadium. They were idiots for building it their in first place. But that's that.

For 6 games a year & in the current economic climate it makes no sense to spend that sort of money.

The public would have a fit. And rightfully so. We have serious health, housing & infrastructure issues here & over
the country as a whole. Fire & flood victims still in strife,

Its not the right time for such a grandiose plan.

Get a team & improve what we already have.

EOR!!
They weren't really idiots. It was built for cricket, to hold about 15k max - remembering that the Gabba only held about 18k at the time, and it seems to rain less on the eastern shore (imoprtant for cricket). Having a Clarence president who was influential in the ACB (later heading CA) certainly helped seal the deal.

If footy had been in mind, at that time they probably would have modernised NHO. But that would have been a disaster by now, the game has sped up far too much at AFL level for that venue's small playing surface to be viable. It was barely feasible when SoO and Fitzroy games were played there.
KG5 may have been a batter option, but the rain shadow makes it a disaster for cricket. You would get less play in than the SCG.

Better off just using the infrastructure Hobart already has, it’s easier for me to catch a plane to Vic to watch a game than drive 3 and a half hours to Hobart to watch a team that would be my second team. L
So say you're a typical passionate footy fan from the North, you'll probably get around 2000 like you a match travelling down to Hobart, especially if you have 2 or 3 matches at YP to keep you happy. Now the population of Hobart is around 270K, compared to Melbourne's 5mill. In Melbourne probably the biggest ever attendance to the footy is about 300K (which is generous as there will be a fair number counted two or even three times). That is about 6% of the Melbourne population - that is the highest % of melbournians - who love their footy and is the birth place of footy - that have attended the footy. 6% of Hobart population is about 17k, throw in those that are coming from the North, and at the absolute max of the biggest time, you have an attendance of under 20k. And once you get regular footy, and I mean around 7-8 games a year in Hobart and the novelty has worn off and you're playing Gold Coast and its about cold and wet and miserable, then yeah, the stadium is going to seem awfully empty (a bit like metricon actually).

Hobart really doesn't need a big ground - it will end up 50% empty most matches and end up being soulless - A small, well designed stadium - threatening to the opposition, where your close to the action and the sound of the crowd reverberates around to create a combative atmosphere is all that is needed. In today's age, large crowds at the footy aren't needed to make a club profitable and any tassie team would do well to not fall into that trap.

mind you the pollies in Hobart will probably balls it up

They weren't really idiots. It was built for cricket, to hold about 15k max - remembering that the Gabba only held about 18k at the time, and it seems to rain less on the eastern shore (imoprtant for cricket). Having a Clarence president who was influential in the ACB (later heading CA) certainly helped seal the deal.

If footy had been in mind, at that time they probably would have modernised NHO. But that would have been a disaster by now, the game has sped up far too much at AFL level for that venue's small playing surface to be viable. It was barely feasible when SoO and Fitzroy games were played there.
KG5 may have been a batter option, but the rain shadow makes it a disaster for cricket. You would get less play in than the SCG.

The rain issue is bit silly. Its been done to death. Hobart has less rain than anyone except Adelaide.

A North Hobart Oval expansion (as looked at in 1986) would have entailed digging into the old institute side embankment, & lengthening into the bowls club. So it would have been a good size with a huge amphitheatre effect on one side.

A 'rain shadow' means less rain as you are on the lee side of a mountain. So you might need to rethink that point. ;)

If you mean KGV gets more rain, what figures are you using? I don't think their would be much difference, if any.

Certainly a damn sight less than the SCG.

The operating cost of a 60k seat stadium is huge. The thing would almost never be filled in Tassie anyway. Start with a 25k seat venue with the planning (and infrastructure) in place to expand it to maybe 40k in 10-15 years time.
They already have a 25k stadium at York Park, which actually draws a crowd. Also isn't subject to the ridiculous wind that Bellerive gets.

The state government being based in Hobart is going to skew their perspective over what constitutes a viable home ground.

Bluestone still has the parking issues though that will reduce crowds by a certain amount obviously.
Is there public transport nearby? And if so, would it be feasible to run shuttle services from that public transport. This happens at Mars Stadium currently, where shuttles run from Ballarat Railway Station.

A dozen AFL games a year and some cricket.

Is a new stadium really needed? Has the current need really outgrown what is already available?

I would say an entire big bash tournament, plus the occasional test/ 1 dayer/t20 is more than some cricket.

Plus other boutique stadiums host tonnes of events outside of sport…

So say you're a typical passionate footy fan from the North, you'll probably get around 2000 like you a match travelling down to Hobart, especially if you have 2 or 3 matches at YP to keep you happy. Now the population of Hobart is around 270K, compared to Melbourne's 5mill. In Melbourne probably the biggest ever attendance to the footy is about 300K (which is generous as there will be a fair number counted two or even three times). That is about 6% of the Melbourne population - that is the highest % of melbournians - who love their footy and is the birth place of footy - that have attended the footy. 6% of Hobart population is about 17k, throw in those that are coming from the North, and at the absolute max of the biggest time, you have an attendance of under 20k. And once you get regular footy, and I mean around 7-8 games a year in Hobart and the novelty has worn off and you're playing Gold Coast and its about cold and wet and miserable, then yeah, the stadium is going to seem awfully empty (a bit like metricon actually).

Hobart really doesn't need a big ground - it will end up 50% empty most matches and end up being soulless - A small, well designed stadium - threatening to the opposition, where your close to the action and the sound of the crowd reverberates around to create a combative atmosphere is all that is needed. In today's age, large crowds at the footy aren't needed to make a club profitable and any tassie team would do well to not fall into that trap.

mind you the pollies in Hobart will probably balls it up
Well said, the time slots for these games are going to be a key, especially the games in Hobart. A lot Tasmanians have grown up watching country footy and that’s where a majority of the passionate football supporters spend their Saturdays, country league gathers a lot more interest than State League. Saturday arvo time slots with teams like Gold Coast and GWS etc are never going to get large crowds.

A crowd of around 7,000 at YP compared to a crowd of the same amount in Hobart feels completely different. It might just be that Tasmanians have more of a connection with the Hawks but even a small crowd feels electric at YP. The finals series games last year showed that, amazing that was.

Blundstone Arena has always felt like a cricket ground to me, the Hill is setup for it. And it put on a good show during the Ashes this year. YP is a proven fortress for good sides, hawks have proved it for years. A good Tassie side would be extremely hard to beat there with a decent crowd behind them

More so 50% increase in last year. It’d be 100%+ more than what it was to build in 2011 now. Prices for materials have gone crazy, and labour has gone up since then. Your point still stands, could still get a decent stadium for 350-400mill.

Better off just using the infrastructure Hobart already has, it’s easier for me to catch a plane to Vic to watch a game than drive 3 and a half hours to Hobart to watch a team that would be my second team. Love footy at Launie, that ground is seriously underrated. A Tassie team would have to use that for 3 or 4 home games a year for it to work.
I

Its interesting when North Hobart Oval hosted Fit
They already have a 25k stadium at York Park, which actually draws a crowd. Also isn't subject to the ridiculous wind that Bellerive gets.

The state government being based in Hobart is going to skew their perspective over what constitutes a viable home ground.
Up here in the north we have Hawks that have a huge supporter base compared to North so no surprise in the bigger crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there public transport nearby? And if so, would it be feasible to run shuttle services from that public transport. This happens at Mars Stadium currently, where shuttles run from Ballarat Railway Station.
That would actually be a great idea

Just put a big circus tent over Blundstone, that’s a quick fix, spend 100mill on it and it’ll be great for footy.

I would say an entire big bash tournament, plus the occasional test/ 1 dayer/t20 is more than some cricket.

Plus other boutique stadiums host tonnes of events outside of sport…
But they said most cricket will remain at Blundstone.

There’s a ferry or two that cross the river, not sure on shuttle busses though. Nice idea though.

I
Its interesting when North Hobart Oval hosted Fit
Up here in the north we have Hawks that have a huge supporter base compared to North so no surprise in the bigger crowds.
The crowds were always decent. I remember when Hawks first started playing there'd be just a many, if not more, WCE supporters when we played there.

Biggest crowd I remember was for the WC rugby match between Romania and Nambia though. That was awesome.

The crowds were always decent. I remember when Hawks first started playing there'd be just a many, if not more, WCE supporters when we played there.

Biggest crowd I remember was for the WC rugby match between Romania and Nambia though. That was awesome.
The rugby match was only 15000,the biggest crowd was Hawks vs Richmond which pulled 21000.

West Coast Eagles have also pulled big crowds to every game in Hobart as well because they have a big supporter base in Tassie it seems.

The rugby match was only 15000,the biggest crowd was Hawks vs Richmond which pulled 21000.
Rugby match was packed. Was if before the terraces were completed? I remember being on that area under the scoreboard. Screamed so much I lost my voice for 2 weeks. Mate from TAFE was the streaker, lol.

York Park Record crowd, 20,971 in 2006, Hawthorn v Richmond. Currently rated max capacity as 19,000.

I think they've had 1 crowd over 15,000 in the last 10 years. Hawthorn have been a good side during most of their time in Launceston.

Hobart has had 5 football crowds larger than York Park. Interestingly they were all for local Grand Finals, at North Hobart Oval. The largest being the 1979 GF, 24,968. I was their. It was a crush. Way over its safe capacity. ;)

Bellerive Oval rated capacity 19500. Record crowd 18149 in 2016, for a Hurricanes BBL T20!!

Anyway, for 6 AFL games each, both grounds can easily be expanded to 25k. Thats probably enough to think they'll be full for most games. Maybe 30k for York Park for a semifinal :).

Rugby match was packed. Was if before the terraces were completed? I remember being on that area under the scoreboard. Screamed so much I lost my voice for 2 weeks. Mate from TAFE was the streaker, lol.
Yes that was before the increased capacity.

York Park Record crowd, 20,971 in 2006, Hawthorn v Richmond. Currently rated max capacity as 19,000.

I think they've had 1 crowd over 15,000 in the last 10 years. Hawthorn have been a good side during most of their time in Launceston.

Hobart has had 5 football crowds larger than York Park. Interestingly they were all for local Grand Finals, at North Hobart Oval. The largest being the 1979 GF, 24,968. I was their. It was a crush. Way over its safe capacity. ;)

Bellerive Oval rated capacity 19500. Record crowd 18149 in 2016, for a Hurricanes BBL T20!!

Anyway, for 6 AFL games each, both grounds can easily be expanded to 25k. Thats probably enough to think they'll be full for most games. Maybe 30k for York Park for a semifinal :).
I think 30000 if the semi was in Hobart too and especially if it was against one the big drawing interstate teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back