Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It could work perfectly fine in combination with the SANFL and SAAFL. The usage of the ground now can be easily worked around the AFL and AFLW teams. The only training on at the same time would be the state pathway stuff during school holidays, and I'm sure it could be figured out with multiple ovals being on the site etc. Have separate gyms and facilities and all that anyway, it'll be fine.
I hope we don't get back into bed with the SANFL.

They've been milking us for years.

Cash cow is all we are to them.

The SANFL have apparently set a deadline for Thebarton......

For next weekend.

The SANFL have apparently set a deadline for Thebarton......

For next weekend.
Reading the article its' due to the SANFL having their own federal and state funding earmarked for Thebby and basically the entire original upgrade they had planned is being held back because it's not needed if we end up moving there.

The Crows’ preferred option remains in the CBD parklands – though not at the city council’s main nursery site, as has been widely speculated, nor part of the Adelaide University precinct.

Instead, it is understood the Crows’ new push surrounds an undisclosed parklands location in the CBD.
Was noted that if we do move to the Parklands we likely won't have any sort of licensed venue attached to it because the Council wouldn't ever approve of the land being used for that purpose.

Talk like this from the SANFL makes me nervous about moving to Thebby though.
“SANFL is the leaseholder of Thebarton Oval so any decision with regards to the Adelaide Football Club, or any other entity, utilising the site, needs to be considered and approved by the South Australian Football Commission.

“The City of West Torrens has given in-principle support to Adelaide Football Club being located at Thebarton, should this be something SANFL and the SA Football Commission wish to consider.”

Basically anything we want to do we have to get the SANFL to approve it because they are the lease holders.

Reading the article its' due to the SANFL having their own federal and state funding earmarked for Thebby and basically the entire original upgrade they had planned is being held back because it's not needed if we end up moving there.

Was noted that if we do move to the Parklands we likely won't have any sort of licensed venue attached to it because the Council wouldn't ever approve of the land being used for that purpose.

Basically anything we want to do we have to get the SANFL to approve it because they are the lease holders.
Yep, I hate this.

Anytime we want to do something, they will be expecting a hand out along with it.

Time we grew up and moved out from mummy and daddy's house.

Yep, I hate this.

Anytime we want to do something, they will be expecting a hand out along with it.

Time we grew up and moved out from mummy and daddy's house.
They'll want that wherever we move.

What would the SANFL actually have at Thebby ?? Admin offices sure, but what else ??

People are overthinking things a bit.

SANFL will have admin offices there, along with the Adelaide Football League. They also want to use it for umpire training and youth development programs.
That's not necessarily a bad thing though I wouldn't have thought.

Doesn't impinge on us at all.

Yes you'd rather they not be there, but if that's all it is then it's not a huge deal.

Not the nursery either, so where ??
It's been reported that the ACC have ID'd 29 sites they are looking to sell off. What they're looking to sell hasn't been revealed other than the volley ball courts and a parking structure on Frome St, but I imagine if there is an alternative site it would perhaps come from that list.

It's been reported that the ACC have ID'd 29 sites they are looking to sell off. What they're looking to sell hasn't been revealed other than the volley ball courts and a parking structure on Frome St, but I imagine if there is an alternative site it would perhaps come from that list.
Interesting.

“SANFL is the leaseholder of Thebarton Oval so any decision with regards to the Adelaide Football Club, or any other entity, utilising the site, needs to be considered and approved by the South Australian Football Commission.

“The City of West Torrens has given in-principle support to Adelaide Football Club being located at Thebarton, should this be something SANFL and the SA Football Commission wish to consider.”
Nah, nothing to worry about...

would-you-like-an-egg-accept-terms-gif.1061914

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's Thebarton, it's got to be because they council would rather us there than the SANFL, deals get renegotiated and we take over. Sure if the SANFL want to rent some space from us to run some talent programs let's talk.

In the SANFL's plan they also want the following, so they probably do have bigger ideas.

• Oval and broadcast works to provide an AFLW compliant venue and establish the stadium as the second home of football to Adelaide Oval in SA

I'm sure we do too, potentially SANFL games as well and that's something they can offer us in the negotiations, but no messy deals where the SANFL get a cut of the gate and most of the catering at our AFLW matches or something because when Port enter the comp, like with the yearly SANFL fee, they won't be paying that.

So who do we rather be dictated by?
The SANFL or the Adelaide city council/parklands society?
The SANFL, if we had to choose.

I reckon they'll be watching the East Coast League this year and hoping it doesn't work, they'll have to beg us to stay. Could absolutely use that to our advantage.

''The Adelaide Football Club (AFC) understands the need for all parties to have clarity on any future direction.

In light of recent comments by the SANFL and mindful of the need for the AFC to find the optimal solution it is our desire to inform the SANFL that the AFC will continue at West Lakes for 2021 and use that time period to continue working towards that optimal location''

* may or may not have been typed out on AFC stationary

Do not let anyone dictate to us or determine our time period to move. The only corporation who has control of our timed exit is the developer - of who we have a -20 year lease

What would the SANFL actually have at Thebby ?? Admin offices sure, but what else ??

People are overthinking things a bit.

No, that's not right. Think of any tenant/landlord relationship. Your landlord has nothing at the house, can't even turn up without written notice, but you still can't put a picture hook in the wall without approval.

Parklands vs. Thebarton would, well could, be very different options, I guess trading location for the ability to have a gated ground, more development etc.

I guess, if it isn't the Parklands, what do we get at Thebarton that we wouldn't get at another near city location where the SANFL aren't involved?

If we're trading that prime location in the city, it might as well be for a home we truly own with everything we want now and the possibility to keep expanding to have everything we want in 20 and 50 years time as well, without the SANFL asking what's in it for them too, before giving the go ahead.

This current news just tells me the Crows have to go it alone and my hunch is they’ve known this for sometime otherwise the Thebby deal would’ve been done sometime ago.

'Just to let you know I have 2 other people looking at this car '
They'd have to be stupid to do that, Olsen would know more than almost anyone in the SANFL about it.

Nope, it's exactly what a guy like Olsen would orchestrate. I wouldn't be reading anything positive into that. Best to ignore it altogether.

Olsen "The deal on the table from the SANFL was just too good to ignore and in the end the deadline for the federal funding meant that we had to commit straight away rather than fully explore other options."

We all know what's going to happen.

Also didn't Olsen say a few weeks ago that he wanted it finalised by the end of Feb? It all sounds very convenient to me.

Back